New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 1 2012, 10:53 PM   #76
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Heads up! MYTHBUSTERS season premiere tonight at 9 Eastern!

Yeah to me the coolest thing about the super glue myth was just that first test, and seeing how much weight one drop could actually hold up. That was just mindblowing.

And as far as the shoe thing, I can still see how less experienced drivers (who don't have hours and hours of stunt driving behind them) could have trouble making split-second maneuvers while wearing tiny high heels that could easily slip off a brake pedal. Although I guess that could be down more to the driver than the shoe...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2012, 11:38 PM   #77
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I kind of wonder if there couldn't be a lot more to the shoes while driving myth. Okay, it had no impact on the obstacle course but what about in other situations like, say driving with your cruise control on? One of the things I was taught that while using your cruise control you still cover your brake in case there's an emergency. Well, to cover your brake you rest your foot on its heel and hover your foot over the pedal this can be tiring in regular shoes, I suspect it'd be really painful if not impossible in heels.
Old May 1 2012, 11:48 PM   #78
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I kind of wonder if there couldn't be a lot more to the shoes while driving myth. Okay, it had no impact on the obstacle course but what about in other situations like, say driving with your cruise control on? One of the things I was taught that while using your cruise control you still cover your brake in case there's an emergency. Well, to cover your brake you rest your foot on its heel and hover your foot over the pedal this can be tiring in regular shoes, I suspect it'd be really painful if not impossible in heels.
God. I never do that. What's the point of cruise control then? I might as well have my foot on the accelerator if I'm going to work that hard.

I just leave my foot on the floor under the break pedal.
Old May 1 2012, 11:58 PM   #79
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
God. I never do that. What's the point of cruise control then? I might as well have my foot on the accelerator if I'm going to work that hard.

Cruise Control better keeps the car at a constant speed and can save on gas as the car is better at maintaining that speed at a low throttle position.

Not covering your brake while on cruise is stupid. Think of how far your car travels inside of one second while it's on cruise (for most cars this is over 35 miles an hour but in most situations is likely to be highway speeds) and the think of how long it'd take you to see you need to quickly apply your brake, lift your foot, place it on the pedal, and then press it.

For me? All I'd have to do is react by putting my foot down. It may be small fractions of a second but considering a car at 55 miles an hour travels 80 feet inside one second the difference between a quarter second and half a second reaction time is 20 feet. Could mean the difference between life and death.
Old May 2 2012, 12:12 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
And as far as the shoe thing, I can still see how less experienced drivers (who don't have hours and hours of stunt driving behind them) could have trouble making split-second maneuvers while wearing tiny high heels that could easily slip off a brake pedal. Although I guess that could be down more to the driver than the shoe...
They explained in the aftershow that, since they are very experienced drivers, they deliberately designed the test course to challenge them to the limit of their abilities. So that should've pretty much cancelled out their advantage.

Besides, the point was to compare their performance in the awkward shoes to their performance in normal shoes in the control run. That cancels out other variables like the drivers' skill level, because it's the same driver running the same course and only the shoes are different.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 12:43 AM   #81
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Cruise Control better keeps the car at a constant speed and can save on gas as the car is better at maintaining that speed at a low throttle position.
Um. Yeah. Thanks for explaining cruise control....

Not covering your brake while on cruise is stupid. Think of how far your car travels inside of one second while it's on cruise (for most cars this is over 35 miles an hour but in most situations is likely to be highway speeds) and the think of how long it'd take you to see you need to quickly apply your brake, lift your foot, place it on the pedal, and then press it.
Well, judging by what happened on Mythbusters, a fraction of a second...

And why would you be using cruise control at 35 miles an hour? I wouldn't use cruise control until I'm on a highway and it's fairly clear of cars.

Oddly, the one time I was in an accident that was my fault, it was in the city, not on cruise control, and still got to the brake before causing serious damage.

For me? All I'd have to do is react by putting my foot down. It may be small fractions of a second but considering a car at 55 miles an hour travels 80 feet inside one second the difference between a quarter second and half a second reaction time is 20 feet. Could mean the difference between life and death.
It might be SMALLER fractions of a second for you, but it's still fractions of a second, and I'm not hampered by cramps...

To each his own.
Old May 2 2012, 12:55 AM   #82
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Um. Yeah. Thanks for explaining cruise control....

Well, judging by what happened on Mythbusters, a fraction of a second...

And why would you be using cruise control at 35 miles an hour? I wouldn't use cruise control until I'm on a highway and it's fairly clear of cars.

Oddly, the one time I was in an accident that was my fault, it was in the city, not on cruise control, and still got to the brake before causing serious damage.

It might be SMALLER fractions of a second for you, but it's still fractions of a second, and I'm not hampered by cramps...

To each his own.
Fractions of a second can mean a lot when you travel dozens of feet inside of them.

I didn't say I use it at that speed but just that's the speed at which most of them will activate. I don't use mine either unless I'm on a stretch of road with no traffic/stops ahead of me which is usually highway speeds.
Old May 2 2012, 05:34 PM   #83
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
They explained in the aftershow that, since they are very experienced drivers, they deliberately designed the test course to challenge them to the limit of their abilities. So that should've pretty much cancelled out their advantage.

Besides, the point was to compare their performance in the awkward shoes to their performance in normal shoes in the control run. That cancels out other variables like the drivers' skill level, because it's the same driver running the same course and only the shoes are different.
True, but they were still expecting to perform some complicated, last-second maneuvers, and knew how to properly hit the pedals to complete them.

I'm not sure the average woman going about her day would be quite as prepared if an emergency came out of nowhere.

And then there's the size of the shoes, which I'm not sure they properly accounted for. Being guys, they needed to wear some extra large, extra wide heels. The girls I know where things MUCH tinier and with much less surface area hitting the ground.
Old May 2 2012, 07:09 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
True, but they were still expecting to perform some complicated, last-second maneuvers, and knew how to properly hit the pedals to complete them.

I'm not sure the average woman going about her day would be quite as prepared if an emergency came out of nowhere.
I don't see the logic of that assumption. Anyone who's been driving for a while is going to have some experience with needing to make abrupt stops. I've only been driving for a few years myself, and I've had my share of such moments.

Besides, they weren't testing any of those variables. The way science works is you isolate one variable at a time and test that specific thing, so that if you get a variation in the results, you know it's because of that and not something else. The only thing they were testing here was the myth that the shoes themselves undermined driving ability, independent of any other factor. So they created an experiment that tested that variable and kept every other variable constant, and that is perfectly good experimental design. Any other variables are a matter for a different experiment testing a different question.

Anyway, if there are any women reading this thread (and it's sad that it has to be an "if"), my question is, is driving in spike heels something that women would even do under normal circumstances? Or would they simply slip off the shoes and drive in stocking feet, or keep a pair of more sensible/comfortable shoes in the car?

Old May 3 2012, 01:56 PM   #85
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

While it's not exactly Mythbusters, the season finale of Unchained Reaction is airing tonight at 6PM Eastern, according to the Discovery site.

Based on the fact that they're dumping the episode in the early evening like this without any fanfare, I'm guessing that the show wasn't doing well and won't be back.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 09:15 PM   #86
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I was wondering what happened to it. Although I can't say I'll miss it all that much. The final machines were sometimes fun to watch, but not enough to justify the boring rest of the show.
Old May 4 2012, 01:21 PM   #87
Forbin
Admiral

We modelers have a love-hate relationship with superglue.
You can glue a piece to a model kit, come back later, pick the kit up and the piece will fall off, making you wonder what's so super about it. Then when you try to replace it, you permaglue your finger to the kit so securely you need debonder to escape.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 03:52 PM   #88
Christopher
Writer

Anyone else bother to watch the Unchained Reaction finale? It was okay; the two machines were nicely different in execution even though they had similar themes, but the team of artists had much cleverer elements even if the execution was less technically impressive. Unfortunately, the camera angles were poorly chosen so that a number of the effects in the artists' rig didn't come across clearly, like the Esther Williams divers or the city being "destroyed."

The most impressive bit was that the guest judge was Rick Baker! A true special-effects legend, and it was a nice coincidence that the artists' team had a King Kong-inspired element when the judge was someone who's actually played Kong.

Overall, though, I won't miss the show. I get that Adam & Jamie (and whoever else developed the show) were trying to cater to the audience that likes the design and building and destruction they do on Mythbusters. But what's cool about all that stuff on Mythbusters is that it's a means to an end, that it's about science and experimentation rather than just building cool stuff. They had the opportunity to make this show more science-oriented by discussing the physics and engineering behind the machines, but they didn't really do anything with it.

So if Adam & Jamie (or the other Mythbusters) do create/host another show for Discovery, I hope it's more science-oriented and educational, because a show that actually lets us learn new things would be more interesting than this was.

Old May 4 2012, 08:30 PM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure my TiFaux recorded Unchained Reaction so I'll need to watch it. The thing with it was is that I got bored with it as there just wasn't enough too it to make it interesting. Watching the teams assemble the machines just wasn't interesting and the show seemed to delve a lot into the "reality show drama/bickering" that's common to shows like this.

I also think the show needed more involvement from Jamie and Adam, though I know that wasn't in the cards since J/A lived and worked in San Francisco and were still doing Mythbusters while UR was done in Los Angeles.

Really the show made me realize how much I missed Junkyard Wars.
Old May 5 2012, 08:45 AM   #90
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Overall, though, I won't miss the show. I get that Adam & Jamie (and whoever else developed the show) were trying to cater to the audience that likes the design and building and destruction they do on Mythbusters. But what's cool about all that stuff on Mythbusters is that it's a means to an end, that it's about science and experimentation rather than just building cool stuff. They had the opportunity to make this show more science-oriented by discussing the physics and engineering behind the machines, but they didn't really do anything with it.
It was a neat idea, but it just didn't really work out. The time-frame the teams got just wasn't enough to really "polish" out the machines enough imo. They managed to make impressive stuff, but it always looked a bit shabby and not as professional as I think Adam and Jamie and the audience wanted.