Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 24 2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Is Harmony Gold ever going to move forward with Robotech?

Last I heard, they were still casting the LA movie (Toby McGuire was cast as Rick Hunter).

And the sequel to Shadow Chronicles is still vaporware for all intents and purposes.

Has anyone heard any news that might indicate a change in the currently stalled status quo?
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
clint g
Admiral

Re: Is Harmony Gold ever going to move forward with Robotech?

Don't know much about Robotech but the Macross franchise is alive and well
Old March 24 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I had forgotten about this project, you'd think in the midst of GI Joe and Transfomers and the upcoming Battleship and so on the time would've never been riper for this thing to have happened.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
But those Macross spinoffs suck.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
Not all of them. Granted, MACROSS II was a muddled mess. MACROSS Flashback 2012 was an OK short, giving us a peek into the MEGAROAD's launch.

MACROSS 7 was all over the map, but had potential. I mean, Max as the captain! Too bad it focused on the Rock God character and Max's 7th daughter. Oh, and the aliens were just the worse. Space vampires who can't stand music! Then again, Rock God was a pretty bad singer.

I always thought that show would've been better had Max and the 7 been out looking for the lost MEGAROAD. Funny, that in both the MACROSS 'verse and ROBOTECH 'verse, Rick/Hikaru and Lisa/Misa along with their ship go missing.

Haven't seen but a clip of MACROSS FRONTIER. However, MACROSS PLUS is brilliant. Gorgeous in execution. Really tried to dig deep and deconstruct the idol singer concept. Well done all around.
Old March 24 2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote:
Macross Plus and Frontier are excellent far better than any thing that Robotech has ever churned out (Sentinels, Shadow Chronicles).

As for Robotech I wish Harmony Gold would just fold already they don't do anything with the properties they own and aside form that all they do is block anything Macross related from reaching markets outside Japan. I would move on Robotech is for all intents and purposes a dead franchise.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Takeru
Fleet Captain

How is it possible that Harmony Gold "owns" Robotech? It was just a dub, except for names almost nothing was changed, despite all this bastardization talk it really wasn't that different.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Technically Harmony Gold doesn't own anything Macross related including character and mechanical designs. Notice how in Shadow Chronicles everything Macross related was either downplayed or nonexistant in SC. The designs for Southern Cross and MOSPEADA are outright owned by HG so they have no issues with being able to use them unfortunately those were the least popular parts of Robotech.
Old March 24 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
clint g
Admiral

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Haven't seen but a clip of MACROSS FRONTIER. However, MACROSS PLUS is brilliant. Gorgeous in execution. Really tried to dig deep and deconstruct the idol singer concept. Well done all around.
Macross Frontier was outstanding. if you get the chance, you should give it a shot.
Old March 24 2012, 09:00 PM   #10
FreezeC77
Commodore

Harmony Gold always seems to have finance issues with things and has their projects fall through. I wish the Hollywood movie just went straight to Japan and the Macross route.

I don't have hatred for Robotech, I consider it the biggest reason how I became an anime fan. If HG had never brought it over (and to get enough episodes they had to merge in two unrelated shows) and aired it on US television I doubt I would have gotten into anime in the mid 80s.

Also want to agree with those recommending Macross Frontier... I thought it was really good and the movies (which are a retelling somewhat) are pretty good too. I'm kind of bummed that since it was the 25th anniversary project of Macross that they didn't finally reveal what happened to Hikaru/Misa/Minmay. They've been 'missing' for almost 25 years now with no word of their fate...
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 09:38 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The problem appears to be that Harmony Gold can't move forward with Robotech because of the live-action movie. Somehow, the proposed sequel(s) to The Shadow Chronicles became tied up with that (which is stuck in developmental hell for the time being at Warner Bros., but the project isn't considered dead there).

In the meantime, Harmony Gold is working on a "sidequel" to the original Robotech series that will feature both old and new animation set during the Third Robotech War.
Old March 24 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Leroy
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote:
In the meantime, Harmony Gold is working on a "sidequel" to the original Robotech series that will feature both old and new animation set during the Third Robotech War.
Which is a complete joke a dub of Love Live Alive a thing that NOBODY is asking for.
Old March 24 2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Also want to agree with those recommending Macross Frontier... I thought it was really good and the movies (which are a retelling somewhat) are pretty good too. I'm kind of bummed that since it was the 25th anniversary project of Macross that they didn't finally reveal what happened to Hikaru/Misa/Minmay. They've been 'missing' for almost 25 years now with no word of their fate...
The voice actor for Hikaru killed himself by jumping off a building. In his honor, Kawamori decided that the characters would never appear again.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 09:48 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote:
Which is a complete joke a dub of Love Live Alive a thing that NOBODY is asking for.
It's either that or nothing, but Harmony Gold felt that they could salvage the original Mospeda OVA and expand upon it. It may feature appearances of some characters or elements from the earlier Robotech Wars as well.
Old March 24 2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote:
Macross Plus and Frontier are excellent far better than any thing that Robotech has ever churned out (Sentinels, Shadow Chronicles).

As for Robotech I wish Harmony Gold would just fold already they don't do anything with the properties they own and aside form that all they do is block anything Macross related from reaching markets outside Japan. I would move on Robotech is for all intents and purposes a dead franchise.
Of course, that doesn't seem to stop people watching those properties that don't get released outside of Japan.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote