RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 399
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 21 2012, 09:24 PM   #106
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post
Also, can Korra metalbend? She seems to have mastered every bending discipline save air, but it seemed that when she was trying to get the machine to release steam, she could've simply used metalbending to split the seams.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 09:32 PM   #107
Mr Light
Admiral

1X3 "The Revelation" raises concerns for me about the nature of combat with the Equalists in the series. In all the combat in this episode, the Equalists all manage to magically avoid the water/fire/earth attacks shot straight at them, close to extreme close range, and disable their opponents without taking a hit. I'm finding this a little too convenient. It seems to me that no matter how lithe you are, if you face off against a controllable wall of flame or rock or water you're going to get hit.

As for Amon's ability, my first instinct is it's a con and the Triads are in on it. I expected to see that blue light from when Aang took away Ozai's bending, but we didn't see anything.

And the other problem with this "threat" is that we know he will never permanently take away the powers of any of the main characters, and even if he does they'll just get it back a few episodes later.

I am intrigued by his claim that he's acting on behalf of the Spirit World, though!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 09:46 PM   #108
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
1X3 "The Revelation" raises concerns for me about the nature of combat with the Equalists in the series. In all the combat in this episode, the Equalists all manage to magically avoid the water/fire/earth attacks shot straight at them, close to extreme close range, and disable their opponents without taking a hit. I'm finding this a little too convenient. It seems to me that no matter how lithe you are, if you face off against a controllable wall of flame or rock or water you're going to get hit.
We've seen this style of combat before from Mai and Ty Lee. They, Sokka, and other non-benders have been able to hold their own against benders. For that matter, the airbender fighting style consists largely of evasion as well. It's a basic martial-arts technique, dodging or redirecting an opponent's attack.

And Amon's Lieutenant certainly did get hit by the rock slab Korra used to slam him into the wall, although he didn't see it coming.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 10:23 PM   #109
Agent Richard07
Admiral

That was a powerful episode. I was shaken too. I was expecting this, but seeing it as a reality still hit pretty hard. I can't wait to see what this means for the avatar and the world at large. What if Amon did take away Korra's abilities? What then? I thought of Aang being Amon as well, but only for a split second. Gonna go look up Koh to refresh my memory.

The episode also had me thinking... Shouldn't the avatar get the same level of security as the U.S. president?

As for the chi blockers dodging the benders' attacks, maybe their chi allowed them to do so by acting with more awareness and harmonization with their opponent.

P.S. I saw Mary Elizabeth Winstead and got to thinking that she could work as a live-action Korra.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 10:26 PM   #110
SG-17
Commodore

As for Amon's ability, my first instinct is it's a con and the Triads are in on it. I expected to see that blue light from when Aang took away Ozai's bending, but we didn't see anything.
No one else was around when Aang energy bended Ozai. So we don't know if that effect is visible to people who aren't spiritually attuned. Korra most certainly is not, yet.

Old April 22 2012, 12:21 AM   #111
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The episode also had me thinking... Shouldn't the avatar get the same level of security as the U.S. president?
I don't suppose there's historically been any reason for that, since most people have revered the Avatar -- and since the Avatar is at least four times as powerful as any other bender, and thus more than capable of taking care of him/herself.

I was wondering why Korra and Mako didn't go to the police about Bolin's abduction. But I guess Korra got off on the wrong foot with Chief Beifong, and Mako has his own reasons for not trusting the law.

As for the chi blockers dodging the benders' attacks, maybe their chi allowed them to do so by acting with more awareness and harmonization with their opponent.
I think it's just more of the theme of the rare, special abilities we saw in A:TLA having become more widespread and institutionalized in the new era. Basically the Equalist warriors are a whole army of Ty Lees (though not nearly as cute).

P.S. I saw Mary Elizabeth Winstead and got to thinking that she could work as a live-action Korra.
Well, maybe in the Shyamalan universe where the Water Tribe is Caucasian, and where Sokka was played by an actor a decade older than the character. But in a more authentic adaptation, not so much.

Old April 22 2012, 06:06 AM   #112
Hyperspace05
Commodore

I'm curious about Amon's henchmen (at least some of them) being benders - not just chi blockers. The main mysterious henchman chasing the brothers down the ladder seemed to be a lightning(fire) bender. Or are we to assume that Amon's group use technology to mimic certain bending skills? (batteries for lighting discharge, fire throwers for fire)

As for Aang = Amon... I wouldn't rule it out at all. Aangs death does seem mysterious. Was there some dark trade he had to engage into (or was tricked into) doing where he lost his avatar spirit? Where he lost himself yet maintained certain powers? If so - what could be more epic than a struggle between the Avatar and the previous Avatar? After all, fire benders DID kill Aangs 'family' (his air temple)... Hmmmmmm Will the shock reveal be that the face behind Amon's mask is Aang's?

Last edited by Hyperspace05; April 22 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 12:54 PM   #113
Mr Light
Admiral

The Lieutenant was using taser sticks.

I really, really, really doubt Amon is Aang. Why would Aang be playing a villain like this? Not to mention Aang would be, what, 90 years old?

Old April 22 2012, 01:53 PM   #114
Christopher
Writer

The Lieutenant was using taser sticks.
I think "cattle prods" would be a more fitting analogy, since this is in a pseudo-1920s setting.

EDIT: Actually they're called electrified kali sticks. They're based on the weapons used in eskrima, or Filipino stick-fighting.

I really, really, really doubt Amon is Aang. Why would Aang be playing a villain like this? Not to mention Aang would be, what, 90 years old?
Well, King Bumi was quite a formidable fighter at 112. Avatar-World humans apparently have greater longevity than we do.

But I do think it's highly unlikely that the creators of this show would risk alienating fans of the original by turning Aang into a villain.

Hey, I know! Amon is Zuko's mother!

Old April 22 2012, 05:02 PM   #115
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Man, that was rich, it's not often that TV animation really wows me visually to that extent. Unfortunately I missed the first airing and could only find an SD airing, gotta watch it again in HD when the chance presents itself. I'm really liking the setting, feels like something Miyazaki might've come up with.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 05:17 PM   #116
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah, the animation is definitely gorgeous! Maybe it's my faulty memory but it looks much nicer than the original series.

Old April 22 2012, 05:19 PM   #117
Agent Richard07
Admiral

A few random points...

- We may see a big paradigm shift with this show. I can see equality prevailing, but by way of bending being made available to everyone rather than all bending being taken away.

- I liked Korra's disguise and wouldn't mind seeing her adopt a more "modern" look.

- I missed it, but I it's been suggested that the cabbage merchant's little cart grew into something bigger.

- Whenever Mako is mentioned in this thread, I can't help but think of this guy.
Old April 22 2012, 06:14 PM   #118
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- We may see a big paradigm shift with this show. I can see equality prevailing, but by way of bending being made available to everyone rather than all bending being taken away.
Well, I reject Amon's premise that the way to achieve equality is to make everyone the same. In the real world, equality doesn't require everyone to be equally intelligent, or to have equal physical strength, or to be equally good at sports, or to be an equally good singer or musician. Equality is about giving everyone an equal opportunity to succeed according to their own individual gifts and abilities, not forcing everyone into a single Procrustean mold. You achieve it by establishing laws, institutions, and social values that prevent those with extra power or advantages from using them to take opportunities or choices away from those without them.

Non-benders are part of the balance of the Avatar World just as benders are. Turning everyone into benders would disrupt that natural balance. If benders are oppressing non-benders, the solution isn't to eliminate one group or the other, but to eliminate the mechanisms of oppression and the social dynamics that permit and motivate the oppression. We certainly know that benders and non-benders can coexist as equals; we've seen it in Team Avatar, in the equal status of non-benders like Sokka and Suki, or the prominence of Mai and Ty Lee in the Fire Nation's fighting forces. (I'm sure Azula never considered them her equals, but then, she's hardly a role model.)

- I liked Korra's disguise and wouldn't mind seeing her adopt a more "modern" look.
That was a nice hat.

- I missed it, but I it's been suggested that the cabbage merchant's little cart grew into something bigger.
Ho-ly cow.

- Whenever Mako is mentioned in this thread, I can't help but think of this guy.
Well, yes, of course. Mako was the voice of General Iroh until he passed away, and the producers named this character in tribute to him.

Old April 22 2012, 06:42 PM   #119
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I reject Amon's premise that the way to achieve equality is to make everyone the same. In the real world, equality doesn't require everyone to be equally intelligent, or to have equal physical strength, or to be equally good at sports, or to be an equally good singer or musician. Equality is about giving everyone an equal opportunity to succeed according to their own individual gifts and abilities, not forcing everyone into a single Procrustean mold. You achieve it by establishing laws, institutions, and social values that prevent those with extra power or advantages from using them to take opportunities or choices away from those without them.
In Avatar's case, we're dealing with special powers, not talents. People either aren't interested in having certain talents or they can potentially develop them if they are, but actual powers like bending really sets people apart. Some people are seriously and inherently advantaged and others are handicapped. I can see how that would create the kind of resentment we're seeing with Amon and his movement. I don't like it, but I can see where they're coming from.

Non-benders are part of the balance of the Avatar World just as benders are. Turning everyone into benders would disrupt that natural balance. If benders are oppressing non-benders, the solution isn't to eliminate one group or the other, but to eliminate the mechanisms of oppression and the social dynamics that permit and motivate the oppression. We certainly know that benders and non-benders can coexist as equals; we've seen it in Team Avatar, in the equal status of non-benders like Sokka and Suki, or the prominence of Mai and Ty Lee in the Fire Nation's fighting forces. (I'm sure Azula never considered them her equals, but then, she's hardly a role model.)
There's always going to be someone who's jealous of the powers that be or who has power issues themselves, so having this come up isn't surprising. In fact, I'm more surprised that it wasn't been a big issue before. The kind of revolution that's brewing could very well open up the message that everyone has potential, not just a select few. And if you ask me, that's not a bad message.

That was a nice hat.
Yes, especially the hat. It was a nice hat, wasn't it?

Mako was the voice of General Iroh until he passed away, and the producers named this character in tribute to him.
I never stopped to think that the name was a tribute. Good to know.
Old April 22 2012, 06:50 PM   #120
SG-17
Commodore

Relevant screenshot.