New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 29 2012, 07:02 AM   #61
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
So, perhaps I missed this somewhere upthread, but when exactly does this show start airing regularly?
April 14th.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:12 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

Yevetha wrote: View Post
How would bllodbending bee different?
Did you not see "The Puppetmaster"?

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Puppetmaster

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:23 PM   #63
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

And the only other time we see it (in The Southern Raiders) it's used during an extremely dark, even sinister time of Katara's life.
Old March 29 2012, 07:06 PM   #64
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post
So, perhaps I missed this somewhere upthread, but when exactly does this show start airing regularly?
April 14th.
Ah, thanks!
Old April 6 2012, 11:00 PM   #65
JD
Admiral

I watched the free hour long premier on Itunes yesterday and I loved it. I'm not real familiar with A:TLA, but I know enough that I was able to enjoy the appearances by Katara, and refernces to the other characters. Honestly, I think they way they approached this was perfect, it is obviously built upon what was established by the original show, but at the same time it has it's own identity, and can be enjoyed purely on it's own. I really really liked this, and look forward to the rest of the season.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 07:12 PM   #66
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Those other monks in the temple couldn't have been air benders. Bending is hereditary, so Tenzin and his kids should be the only air benders, unless Katara had other kids with bending capabilities.
According to the Avatar Wiki, Aang and Katara's first two children -- named Kya (for Katara's mother) and Bumi -- were non-benders. So Tenzin is the only living adult airbender, though all three of his children so far are also airbenders. Korra did say in chapter 1 that Tenzin was the only airbending master in the world.

I'm surprised that it worked out that way, though. I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability. So I figured he could've created hundreds of airbenders that way, instead of having to repopulate the line the old-fashioned way. I guess that's not the way it works, though, and I wonder why.
"I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability." - That's a rather large assumption.
For a comparison - it's easy to turn a cow into hamburgers; the other way around, all but impossible.
Old April 11 2012, 09:05 PM   #67
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just managed to watch the first two episodes. Pretty good so far. I definitely like Tenzin's kids. They're hilarious. So far, though, we haven't gotten too much info on the main conflict of the series. I'm hoping they find a way to make it feel as epic as TLA. After you save the world from Fire Nation oppression after a 100-year war, fighting some anti-bending protesters seems a little lame. Obviously, though, we don't have enough information yet to make that kind of judgment.

One thing I really would like to see, though, are some flashbacks or something to the original characters. As much as I appreciate this show's ability to exist on its own, I couldn't help but miss the original crew.
Old April 11 2012, 09:14 PM   #68
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Don't worry, I'm certain that sooner or later, Korra will go on a spirit journey and meet Ang. So there's that at least.

Maybe it's just the story being restricted to one city, the implied shadowy conspiracies or the anthology style narrative, but the tone of the show reminds me a lot of the latter half of 'Book Two: Earth'. Which suits me fine since the Ba Sing Se arc is still my favourite part of the old show.
As for what the core conflict actually is, I read somewhere that it has something to do with Zuko, or his legacy. Not sure if that's political--Republic City is build where the old fire nation colonies were--familial like an heir or pretender or something more personal, perhaps tied to his Blue Spirit alter ego.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 10:20 PM   #69
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
One thing I really would like to see, though, are some flashbacks or something to the original characters. As much as I appreciate this show's ability to exist on its own, I couldn't help but miss the original crew.
There is a graphic-novel trilogy in the works called The Promise which is set a year after "Sozin's Comet" and tells the canonical further adventures of the original cast, as well as laying groundwork for the world of Korra. Volume 1 is already out, Vol. 2 comes out next month (IIRC), and Vol. 3 is slated for September.

Old April 12 2012, 12:46 AM   #70
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

There's The Promise as Christopher mentioned, but a comic book just isn't the same. I'm hoping we get a full episode flashback with the original cast at some point.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 02:27 AM   #71
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
There's The Promise as Christopher mentioned, but a comic book just isn't the same. I'm hoping we get a full episode flashback with the original cast at some point.
But this is a new show. The old characters already had 3 seasons to themselves. They are gone, let the new characters grow without "flashback bombing" the new crew.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 02:32 AM   #72
Christopher
Writer

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
But this is a new show. The old characters already had 3 seasons to themselves. They are gone, let the new characters grow without "flashback bombing" the new crew.
I agree. If they wanted to make more A:TLA, they would've just done a fourth season. This is a new show in a new era, defining its own distinct identity.

Old April 12 2012, 02:34 AM   #73
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Well there were plans for spinoff movies that apparently never got green lit.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:50 AM   #74
RoJoHen
Awesome

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
I agree. If they wanted to make more A:TLA, they would've just done a fourth season. This is a new show in a new era, defining its own distinct identity.
I'm not saying I want them coming back in full force or taking the spotlight from the new characters. Maybe some flashbacks dealing with the founding of Republic City or the political situation there while Aang was still alive. I don't want them to shoehorn the characters in just so I can see them again, but I feel there might be some valid reasons to get a glimpse into what they were doing between TLA and Korra.
Old April 12 2012, 01:55 PM   #75
Christopher
Writer

^Occasional flashbacks, maybe, but doing a full episode of A:TLA content in the middle of TLoK would feel intrusive.