Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 24 2012, 12:19 AM   #406
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Maybe it's fitting that we didn't see much emphasis on Korra's attempts to learn airbending. After all, air is unseen and often taken for granted, but it's always there (unless you're in space).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 01:01 AM   #407
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Also, as I was watching, I thought... You know, this season has had very little to do with air or Korra learning to bend it. Then boom! She suddenly has the ability. Even then it felt rather sudden and thrown in, but if Amon did something to make it show up, I can accept that.
Which is one of the problems I have with the current series. The bending training takes a backseat. ATLA spent several episodes each season exploring the philosophies and ideas behind each bending form. The depth there really just isn't in TLOK.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 01:17 AM   #408
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I'd say we got a whole series' worth of exploration of airbending in A:TLA. It's not a bad thing that the new series has a different emphasis, with study and training being a smaller part of the focus.

Old June 24 2012, 02:29 AM   #409
Psylent1
Captain

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

For me the most shocking moment (no pun intended) was what Tarrlok did on the speedboat. I can't really see it as a heroic act, since it was so cold-blooded, but Tarrlok was trying to redeem himself in his way, I guess.
I am really surprised that Nick allowed a murder-suicide to be shown without making it much more ambiguous. Also, I loved how the last thing we see of Amon is him tearing up.
Especially with all the pilots parachuting out of the planes.
Psylent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 03:44 AM   #410
Christopher
Writer

Psylent1 wrote: View Post
Especially with all the pilots parachuting out of the planes.
Yeah, those parts did have kind of a GI Joe vibe...

Sometimes I wonder -- just how feasible is it really for pilots of critically damaged planes to parachute out? I don't think it would really be possible at the low altitudes seen here, since it takes some time for a parachute to deploy fully. The pilots might be better off trying to glide to a survivable crash landing.

Old June 24 2012, 03:50 AM   #411
SG-17
Commodore

But I guess the reasoning why they allowed to show Noatok's and Tarrlok's death is that it was a "romantic" death compared to a "violent" death that would befall people being killed in a war.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 04:07 AM   #412
Christopher
Writer

Or perhaps because it was caused by a "bad guy" character instead of by the heroes.

Old June 24 2012, 04:21 AM   #413
CaptainCanada
Admiral

^Well, I'd say we got a whole series' worth of exploration of airbending in A:TLA. It's not a bad thing that the new series has a different emphasis, with study and training being a smaller part of the focus.
I'd agree if the show hadn't made such a point about Korra's difficulty with airbending before suddenly resolving it.

I think the overall narrative of this season needed a bit more work. The finale along just blew through a bunch of story points that could often have been an episode on their own.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 04:29 AM   #414
SG-17
Commodore

Or perhaps because it was caused by a "bad guy" character instead of by the heroes.
But Equalist pilots would also be "bad guys".

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 04:34 AM   #415
Christopher
Writer

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I'd agree if the show hadn't made such a point about Korra's difficulty with airbending before suddenly resolving it.
I think the first few episodes (especially episode 2) seeded the basics adequately. She was learning the forms and techniques, studying regularly, but the airbending just wasn't happening. The one thing she lacked was the spiritual connection to the element. And we saw her finally beginning to experience the spiritual in "Out of the Past." So it didn't come completely out of the blue. We'd seen her moving gradually closer to the brink, at least in a few episodes, and all she needed was a catalyst to activate the crucial connection. And waiting until the finale to resolve that tension is a pretty standard story structure.

Old June 25 2012, 06:58 AM   #416
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Great finale... BUT... A few nits:

- It felt dramatically weak to have bending returned so easily for her in the last 3 minutes. It would have been an interesting quest for her to rediscover the Water, Earth, and Fire bending in the next season. Yes, I know it is a kids show... but it did not feel dramatically satisfying.

- My recording cut out just as Korra was returning the Earth/Metal bending to Lin - Did that succeed? (I have to catch a re-run)... If so, another disappointing part, where a lasting consequence is removed.

- This ties in to a overall issue I have with the show. They've made the removal of bending essentially equal to death. Benders without bending are pathetic losers, unable to fend for themselves. It is not stated outright, but the implications are everywhere. And I find that very troubling. Think of how great of a kids show it could be if it showed a character lose their special ability, but STILL fight on - not feeling handicapped by their loss. Showing that they are not defined as characters by their bending. Oh well.

Otherwise a very good hour...
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 08:30 AM   #417
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I love the fact that Avatar Korra is very different from Avatar Aang.

Aang was much more spiritual and was easily able to channel the full power of the Avatar State even when he has not mastered all four elements. At this point in the story, Aang was already capable of tossing tidal waves around. Due to her lack of spirituality, Korra's Avatar State is still a lot less impressive than Aang's Avatar State even though she has mastered all four elements.
Old June 25 2012, 11:09 AM   #418
Agent Richard07
Admiral

After the finale, The Legend of Korra fans can learn more about the mythology and creation of this franchise by tuning into the Nicktoons' "Korra: Making of a Legend" special event from July 9 – July 20 during which all twelve episodes from Season 1, Book 1 will air weekdays at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT). Each "creators cut" episode offers insight into the creation of the stunning imagery, mythology and storyline where series creators and executive producers, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, provide commentary.
Source
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2012, 01:59 PM   #419
Christopher
Writer

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
- It felt dramatically weak to have bending returned so easily for her in the last 3 minutes. It would have been an interesting quest for her to rediscover the Water, Earth, and Fire bending in the next season. Yes, I know it is a kids show... but it did not feel dramatically satisfying.
It wasn't what I was expecting, and it was a bit rushed like a lot of the season, but I think it worked. As Aang said, she just needed to get to her lowest point, to lose all her certainties, before she could be open to the spiritual. It's like the Buddhist concept of needing to let go of all attachments, to release one's ties to the material world. Korra's always been a material sort, very much in tune with her physical power, and it wasn't until she felt she'd lost everything that defined her that her mind and spirit were really free of attachment and able to open to her spiritual connection. And once she did that, once she truly tapped into the soul she shares with every prior Avatar, then the full power of the Avatar came to her at last. And it makes sense that that would've washed away whatever Amon did to her bending, because what Amon did was purely physical. He couldn't overcome the transcendent nature of the Avatar. The Avatar's existence as the point of balance among the elements is a constant of the world. Amon could only suppress Korra's access to her Avatar nature, not destroy it.

- My recording cut out just as Korra was returning the Earth/Metal bending to Lin - Did that succeed? (I have to catch a re-run)... If so, another disappointing part, where a lasting consequence is removed.
It did succeed. And yes, it would've been nice to explore the consequences more fully, but again, given what we now know, it makes sense. Amon's ability wasn't given to him by the spirits, and it wasn't true energybending (as hinted by the lack of any light effects when he did it). It was just a physiological change caused by advanced bloodbending. So it's plausible that true energybending could overcome it.

Old June 25 2012, 02:31 PM   #420
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
- This ties in to a overall issue I have with the show. They've made the removal of bending essentially equal to death. Benders without bending are pathetic losers, unable to fend for themselves. It is not stated outright, but the implications are everywhere. And I find that very troubling. Think of how great of a kids show it could be if it showed a character lose their special ability, but STILL fight on - not feeling handicapped by their loss. Showing that they are not defined as characters by their bending. Oh well.

Otherwise a very good hour...
People who lose their hearing or vision or otherwise become physically disabled don't just "get over it" in a short period of time, nor are they very happy about it. None of the characters who lost their bending had very much time to reflect on it and "bounce back".