RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,223
Posts: 5,438,063
Members: 24,957
Currently online: 548
Newest member: zanejc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 23 2012, 06:38 PM   #391
SG-17
Commodore
 
SG-17's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post

For me the most shocking moment (no pun intended) was what Tarrlok did on the speedboat. I can't really see it as a heroic act, since it was so cold-blooded, but Tarrlok was trying to redeem himself in his way, I guess.
I am really surprised that Nick allowed a murder-suicide to be shown without making it much more ambiguous. Also, I loved how the last thing we see of Amon is him tearing up.
__________________
Programs that I currently enjoy:
The Legend of Korra | Falling Skies | Hell on Wheels | Archer | The Borgias | Arrow

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 07:40 PM   #392
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

The characters in the order of importance and story coverage:

Korra > Amon > Asami >Iroh > Tenzin > Bolin & Mako

Looks like the Bending Bros really dragged the finale. And what little purpose for Mako seemed to be solely for shipping him with Korra . Bolin didn't really do anything, but be the muscle.

I guess my chief complaint for much of the latter half of LoK is that character development was sacrificed for the purpose of shipping.

For the eventual season 2, I hope they get an actual writer maybe Aaron Ehasz to write the episodes. The world building and the characters really suffered because of Mike and Bryan's lack of training in regards to actual writing and story construction. And there was certainly a lack of emphasis on the spiritual aspects of bending and the Avatar world.

One lingering question is how Amon/Tarrok/Yakone was able to bloodbend without the moon.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; June 23 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 08:15 PM   #393
Kaijima
Captain
 
Kaijima's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

The current theory going around about why Amon couldn't take away Korra's air bending is that when he de-bended her, she had not yet activated her air bending. Never used it, so the chakra involved, and the nerve points in her body relating to air bending motions, where cloaked to Amon. He couldn't feel them to single them out and block them.
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 08:18 PM   #394
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
The characters in the order of importance and story coverage:

Korra > Amon > Asami >Iroh > Tenzin > Bolin & Mako

Looks like the Bending Bros really dragged the finale. And what little purpose for Mako seemed to be solely for shipping him with Korra . Bolin didn't really do anything, but be the muscle.
But Mako was a lot more important than that. He was right there with Korra the whole time, and it was the danger to him that catalyzed her to draw on her airbending at last. As for Bolin, he was the one who saved Asami. They both did a lot more than Tenzin, whose only role in the action was to be a hostage and then get his kids to safety.


I guess my chief complaint for much of the latter half of LoK is that character development was sacrificed for the purpose of shipping.
Huh? Romance and relationships are part of character development. Maybe it's not your favorite part, maybe it's been given a bad reputation by the fanatical "shippers" in fandom, but it's pretty odd to claim it's therefore not even connected to character development. How characters relate to each other, how they navigate and negotiate their relationships, can reveal a lot about them and have a lot of impact on how they grow and evolve.


One lingering question is how Amon/Tarrok/Yakone was able to bloodbend without the moon.
The full Moon doesn't really give waterbenders any new abilities, it just amplifies what they already have, makes them a lot more powerful, in the same way that comets make firebenders more powerful (never mind that real comets are made of ice and rock, not fire). It gives them heightened sensitivity that allows them to detect the water inside people's bodies, heightened precision to let them manipulate it in a way that can control people's muscles, and heightened power to overcome those people's resistance to being moved or perhaps some kind of interference from their own flesh and/or chi. So it essentially comes down to a question of power and control. And as Yakone said here, his family was the most powerful line of waterbenders in history. So evidently their normal abilities were on a par with other waterbenders' Moon-amplified abilities.


Kaijima wrote: View Post
The current theory going around about why Amon couldn't take away Korra's air bending is that when he de-bended her, she had not yet activated her air bending. Never used it, so the chakra involved, and the nerve points in her body relating to air bending motions, where cloaked to Amon. He couldn't feel them to single them out and block them.
But Korra has been training in airbending moves for months. So the neural conditioning, muscle memory, etc. would already be there. It's just the spiritual connection that hadn't kicked in yet, the actual affinity for the element that enabled her to use her chi to control it.

All I can figure is that once her connection to the other three elements was severed, that left all her chi free to tap into that latent connection she had to the element of air. She'd just never quite figured out how to direct it that way, but now it was the only option. That still doesn't explain why Amon didn't block that potential along with the rest, though.


And I still question the assumption that chakras are involved with bending. As I said earlier in the thread, there's no canonical evidence for that. Chakras have only been discussed in the context of spiritual exploration and entering the Avatar State. Aang was able to bend multiple elements even when his chakras were blocked, even before he knew what chakras were.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 08:38 PM   #395
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

I frickin' loved that finale. I am very satisfied with the way things ended, though I think it would have been very interesting if Korra had NOT regained her bending abilities. That would have been a neat thing to explore in Season 2 -- Korra trying to connect with her spiritual side and restore bending to the herself and the world.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 09:08 PM   #396
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Loved it! I actually cheered when Korra entered the Avatar state and demonstrated all four bending abilities. Just an awesome series.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 09:10 PM   #397
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

One thing I do want to say is that I am always impressed by the battles in these shows. The use of the elements is so interesting to watch, and every fight is unique. Korra was waterbending missiles, for Pete's sake!
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 09:24 PM   #398
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Really really enjoyed this episode. I think most of my thoughts have already been covered here. I was shocked that they actually showed Tarrlok blowing up the boat, I would have thought Nik would have nixed that.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 09:33 PM   #399
SG-17
Commodore
 
SG-17's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

She used a torpedo to take out a biplane, that was amazing. I also loved how they made fire cannons where two or three firebenders could focus and hit targets with pinpoint accuracy at a much greater range than regular firebending.

Also I was surprised that Iroh could fly without Sozin's comet. I mean the most we've seen before is just Azula push herself towards a cliff wall, not actual flight until the comet. But Iroh was playing an Ironman with those fist rockets. He must be a very powerful bender. Being Zuko's grandson I don't doubt it. I hope that we see more of him (and Bumi) in season 2.
__________________
Programs that I currently enjoy:
The Legend of Korra | Falling Skies | Hell on Wheels | Archer | The Borgias | Arrow

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 10:27 PM   #400
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post
The full Moon doesn't really give waterbenders any new abilities,
The moon is the source of their abilities. No moon (like in final of atla book 1) means no waterbending. Full moon means they are at the apex of their power. Both Katara and Hama who were master waterbenders required the full moon to bloodbend. Why were Yakone/Amon/Tarrok were able to do it out in the sun? There is no established precedent of genetics giving unique bending abilities other than determining the type of bender they are especially since we have an example of twins with one bender and one non-bender.

And I still question the assumption that chakras are involved with bending.
Combustion Man's abilities seems to be due to his unique control of the chakra on his forehead and the damage to that chakra via boomerang proves ultimately to be his undoing.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 10:57 PM   #401
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

There is also no "rule" saying that people can't bloodbend without a full moon. We just hadn't seen it before. Why did Azula always bend blue fire instead of red? Why can't all Earthbenders also metalbend?

Most Waterbender probably can't bloodbend without a full moon because they would have absolutely no reason to try. Yakone and Sons practiced; they got started at a very young age. I bet if Katara really wanted to, she could bloodbend without a full moon.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 11:12 PM   #402
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The full Moon doesn't really give waterbenders any new abilities,
The moon is the source of their abilities. No moon (like in final of atla book 1) means no waterbending. Full moon means they are at the apex of their power.
Yes, I know. I think you overlooked a couple of the words I wrote there. I said the full moon doesn't give them any new abilities beyond what they always have from the moon the rest of the time. As you say, the full moon simply makes their existing powers stronger. Therefore it follows that it's theoretically possible that a particularly strong waterbender could be as powerful normally as other benders are during a full moon.


Both Katara and Hama who were master waterbenders required the full moon to bloodbend. Why were Yakone/Amon/Tarrok were able to do it out in the sun? There is no established precedent of genetics giving unique bending abilities other than determining the type of bender they are especially since we have an example of twins with one bender and one non-bender.
Apparently there is now. You can argue with the explanation they gave, but they did give an explanation: they didn't need the full moon because they were exceptionally powerful, and that makes sense because all the full moon does is amplify waterbending. The only question is why they were so exceptionally powerful.


Combustion Man's abilities seems to be due to his unique control of the chakra on his forehead and the damage to that chakra via boomerang proves ultimately to be his undoing.
I have acknowledged in previous posts that I am aware of that. But a single fact in isolation is not proof of a blanket theory. If there's only evidence of one person having such a connection, it's only evidence about that one person, not all people. So by itself it's not probative of anything. You have to consider all the evidence. Even if Combustion Man had tapped into his anja chakra somehow, that does not change the fact that Aang was able to become accomplished in three bending arts without even knowing what chakras were, and that changes in the status of Aang's chakras had no effect whatsoever on his bending ability, only on his ability to enter the Avatar State. The evidence we have is that knowledge of chakras is an advanced and possibly unusual discipline, and one that's normally more connected to spiritual enlightenment than elemental manipulation, except maybe in one unique instance.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 11:37 PM   #403
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

I enjoyed the finale. I haven't been that glued to a show in a long time. The Legend of Korra is great, but aspects of it could have been better. For starters, I wish it were as epic as The Last Airbender. The subject matter was there, but it felt rushed, especially at the end. I feel like a full story has been told, but I wish they did more with it. For example, I would have liked to have learned more about Amon's missing years as well. And more fallout for Korra losing her bending would have been nice. I too thought that maybe the next season would deal with Korra delving into her spirit to get back her bending, but such was not the case. Real power shows up when you don't need it, because it's the "needing" that keeps you clouded and weak. That would have been a good thing to explore further.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Book 2. I'm still hoping that maybe we'll see a paradigm shift of some sort in the world of Avatar. I can't imagine where else they could go from here. The world is changing, why not the nature of bending and the spiritual stuff along with it?
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 11:51 PM   #404
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Yeah... there had been an expectation that the shorter season length for Korra Book 1 would allow a stronger, tighter narrative without the need for filler, but it turned out to feel rushed instead. It would've benefitted from maybe 4 more episodes to flesh out the world and the story threads more.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 12:15 AM   #405
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Also, as I was watching, I thought... You know, this season has had very little to do with air or Korra learning to bend it. Then boom! She suddenly has the ability. Even then it felt rather sudden and thrown in, but if Amon did something to make it show up, I can accept that.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sparky sparky boom man, the last airbender, the legend of korra

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.