Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 18 2012, 07:25 PM   #376
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
I think Amon is probably not using energybending as he claims. He is probably doing a variation of Tarrok's bloodbending, but manipulating the chakras in some ways to block the bending.
But we know from Tahno (the leader of the cheating team that won the pro-bending championships) that after Amon took his bending, he'd been to the best healers in the city and they were all convinced the loss was permanent. I'd think that skilled healers in the Avatarverse could recognize a mere chakra block.

Besides, I don't think there's any evidence that chakras are involved in physical bending. They only came into play where the spiritual side was concerned. Having his chakra blocked meant that Aang couldn't enter the Avatar state, but it didn't affect his ability to bend. The one thing that implies any connection between chakras and bending is the placement of Combustion Man's "third eye," and that may mean they're only involved in advanced techniques.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
There was a collection of comics called "The Lost Tales" in which one of the characters could "shadow bend" (manipulating shadows to act as physical constraints). Granted, it was mostly played as a quick gag, and we can argue over whether or not it's canon. Still, it's interesting to think what sort of bending capabilities that might imply.
That's a non-canonical story that was the result of a "design your own character" contest in Nickelodeon's magazine. There was also a character who could bend cookie dough.

After all, a shadow isn't a thing; it's just a portion of a surface that's less brightly lit than adjacent portions. There's nothing there to bend. Sure, there could be such a thing as a lightbender, but I think they call those lenses.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 07:27 PM   #377
RoJoHen
Awesome

I know Koh is a viable spirit. I was actually the first person to mention Koh in this thread back when Amon was introduced. I'm just saying that we haven't heard anything more about Amon'd past or where his powers came from since that episode. I wish we had been getting more information about him along the way.
Old June 18 2012, 07:40 PM   #378
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
On a slightly different topic; has it ever been established if there was such as thing as non-bender air nomads, or where they unique in the four nations by being an all bender culture?
I'm sure there were non-benders among the Air Nomads. We just never got a chance to see any because, ya know, all the Air Nomads are dead.
That's just what got me wondering though. Why would the fire nation wipe out all of non-bender air nomads? Genocide wasn't the point of the war, it was a means to an end (the end being to unite the world as one nation, ironically.) The only reason they went after them in the first place was specifically to take out the next Avatar. With the other nations they were happy to just imprison their benders, making the non-bender population that much easier to conquer.

So if there were non-bender air nomads did any of them survive the air temple sieges? Does the presence of the air acolytes on air temple island mean that some did indeed escape and remained in hiding until after the war? it would certainly explain where all the sky bison came from.

I know this hasn't been addressed in the show, I'm just wondering aloud.

Maybe Amon IS Combustion Man...come to claim his revenge! He got his chi blocked by a boomerang, and now he wants to block everyone else's chi! He wears a mask because his face is deformed from when his forehead exploded.
My money is still on him having something to do with Koh. Yeah, the evidence is tenuous, but name one other character with a connection to the spirit world, has a thing for masks *and* a motive for indirectly going after the Avatar.
At this point I'm getting a little disappointed by Amon's character development. I realize this was only intended to be a 12-episode story, but so far we've basically just had to take it on faith that Amon has this crazy anti-bending power. He says he got it from a spirit, but how and why? What's the point? What spirit wants to take away bending? I'm afraid that we'll get an explanation at the very end of the season and that it will sort of feel shoehorned in. We've had very little build up about Amon's motives.
Like I said, 'Koh the Face Stealer' is the only one I can think of with anything close to a motive. Mind you, we've only been introduced to a small handful spirit characters, so it could be one we haven't heard of before.

But yeah, it is a bit worrying that we've only two episodes left and still know next to nothing about Amon. Perhaps they decided to hold that stuff back for season two? It would be consistent with the whole "Book 2: Spirit" theory.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 07:46 PM   #379
RoJoHen
Awesome

Reverend wrote: View Post

That's just what got me wondering though. Why would the fire nation wipe out all of non-bender air nomads? Genocide wasn't the point of the war, it was a means to an end (the end being to unite the world as one nation, ironically.) The only reason they went after them in the first place was specifically to take out the next Avatar. With the other nations they were happy to just imprison their benders, making the non-bender population that much easier to conquer.

So if there were non-bender air nomads did any of them survive the air temple sieges? Does the presence of the air acolytes on air temple island mean that some did indeed escape and remained in hiding until after the war? it would certainly explain where all the sky bison came from.

I know this hasn't been addressed in the show, I'm just wondering aloud.
Well, with the Air Nomads, the next Avatar could have been ANYONE. Fire Lord Sozin did not want to take the risk that he would survive and challenge him, so it was just easier to wipe them all out.

I suppose it's possible that there were non-benders that escaped. I almost wonder if the Air Nomads had other villages other than the Air Temples. Perhaps the Temples were just where the Air Benders went to study, and the rest of the Air Nomads lived in other places. They are nomads, after all. I'm sure some of them didn't stick around.
Old June 18 2012, 08:04 PM   #380
Snaploud
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
There was a collection of comics called "The Lost Tales" in which one of the characters could "shadow bend" (manipulating shadows to act as physical constraints). Granted, it was mostly played as a quick gag, and we can argue over whether or not it's canon. Still, it's interesting to think what sort of bending capabilities that might imply.
That's a non-canonical story that was the result of a "design your own character" contest in Nickelodeon's magazine. There was also a character who could bend cookie dough.
Ah, okay. I wasn't aware it was just part of a contest.

After all, a shadow isn't a thing; it's just a portion of a surface that's less brightly lit than adjacent portions. There's nothing there to bend. Sure, there could be such a thing as a lightbender, but I think they call those lenses.
That's why it would be interesting to think about what capabilities it would imply. Essentially, the bender would be creating substance out of that which lacks substance (a reality-bending power).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 09:31 PM   #381
Christopher
Writer

Well, with the Air Nomads, the next Avatar could have been ANYONE. Fire Lord Sozin did not want to take the risk that he would survive and challenge him, so it was just easier to wipe them all out.
It has been stated by the producers that all Air Nomads were airbenders. They were unique in that respect.

I almost wonder if the Air Nomads had other villages other than the Air Temples. Perhaps the Temples were just where the Air Benders went to study, and the rest of the Air Nomads lived in other places. They are nomads, after all. I'm sure some of them didn't stick around.
Well, yeah, but would nomads have villages at all? More like temporary encampments, or way stations that they periodically returned to as part of a seasonal migration (though I always figured that's what the air temples were and why there were four of them).

The Air Nomads were always the smallest of the four populations anyway, and Sozin and his heirs had a hundred years to hunt down any stragglers no matter where they fled.

Old June 18 2012, 11:35 PM   #382
RoJoHen
Awesome

It has been stated by the producers that all Air Nomads were airbenders. They were unique in that respect.

Interesting. At some point in history, I wonder if all benders lived together before splitting off into different nations. The Airbenders may have all flown away together, and because nobody besides airbenders could follow, there would be no non-benders to "corrupt" the gene pool...until, of course, Aang and Katara started having kids.
Old June 19 2012, 01:15 AM   #383
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The impression I got was that the nations were formed independently of one another, each as they developed their own form of bending. This is implied in the way each nations' founders discovered their bending forms; the air nomads and the sky bison, the water tribe with the moon & sea spirits, Oma & Shu with the badger moles and the sun warriors with the dragons. One assumes the avatar cycle begun some time later, after the four nations ran into each other.

Of course this does beg the question as to what kind of culture the air nomads had before they learned to bend from the sky bison?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 01:56 AM   #384
Christopher
Writer

Interesting. At some point in history, I wonder if all benders lived together before splitting off into different nations. The Airbenders may have all flown away together, and because nobody besides airbenders could follow, there would be no non-benders to "corrupt" the gene pool...until, of course, Aang and Katara started having kids.
Well, again, it's not so much about genetics as about the spirit and character of a people, since this is a fantasy world. Nomads are loose and mobile with few bonds, so they'd all pretty much have an affinity for air as a metaphysical element.

Old June 19 2012, 04:19 PM   #385
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The Air Nomads always struck me as a nation that simply moved around the other three nations' territory, but I noticed a while back that they do seem to have territory of their own. I don't even remember if this was mentioned on the show. I've only seen and read about the air temples.

Click the tag below to see a world map.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 06:27 PM   #386
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, one would imagine that the air temples are located within those territories. It's not like the temples are flying around in the sky. They're on the tops of mountains (or underneath cliffs, in the case of that one temple from Season 3).
Old June 19 2012, 08:39 PM   #387
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, and the territories in the Air Nomad color are all crags and mountains, probably too forbidding for anyone else to use.

Also, note there are only three such regions, in the south, east, and west. The Northern Air Temple is actually on the northern coast of the Earth Kingdom's continent, no doubt in those high mountains northwest of Ba Sing Se.

Old June 21 2012, 01:17 AM   #388
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Have we ever seen a metal-bender do any earth-bending? Are they so specialized that they can't even do the normal stuff?
We saw it in this very episode. When Lin was battling the Equalists on Air Temple Island, she used some earthbending to lift up pieces of the ground.
Another example in the previous episode: When Lin and the Fire Ferrets were escaping from the Equalist prison on the tram car, Lin evaded the waiting Equalists by first metalbending an overhead rail down as a ramp, and then by earthbending a hole in the tunnel roof so they could pass through it -- actually two holes, since there were two "stories" of underground to pass through before they reached the surface.

Old June 23 2012, 05:05 PM   #389
SG-17
Commodore

I can't express in words how amazing that episode was or how happy it made me at the ending there.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 06:32 PM   #390
Christopher
Writer

It was effective, but there were a couple of points where I again felt things were a bit too rushed or convenient, like Amon's exposure and Korra getting "cured" at the end. And I can't believe that Korra and Mako didn't have a better plan than "Let's just announce who Amon really is without offering any proof and hope they take our word for it." I would've thought they'd try to provoke him into using bloodbending in public instead.

Also, how could the audience hear them and Amon so clearly? They weren't miked. Are the acoustics really that good in the pro-bending arena?

I also would've liked some more flashbacks to flesh out just how Noatok/Amon developed bloodbending into bending removal, and how he developed such a hatred of benders. Although I can guess about the latter. Noatok probably hated what Yakone had made him. Yakone had taught him to see bending as a tool of dominance over others, and he hated the way his cruel father dominated him and his brother, so he came to see bending as a tool of oppression and cruelty, and saw what he did as using the enemy's tools against them. Yet on the other hand, Tarrlok may have learned to resent non-benders because his father was one (after Aang got done with him). After all, he had to live with Yakone for a few more years after Noatok left, and he would've had no defense against his father's cruelty except by learning to embrace the one advantage he had left, his bending.

Anyway, looking back, I can see the clues to who Amon really was. Korra first started getting the visions about Yakone when she was attacked by Amon. I should've realized that Aang wouldn't have been sending her those visions just to warn her about Tarrlok. That did seem odd to me when she said it in "Out of the Past," but I didn't follow that line of thought. I should've realized that Aang was trying to warn her about Amon, about his connection to Yakone and bloodbending. There's also the fact that Amon was able to resist Tarrlok's bloodbending, something only another bloodbender (or an Avatar in the State) can do.

For a while there toward the end, I was thinking maybe Book 2 would be about Korra searching for a way to reconnect with her bending, perhaps by gradually exploring her spiritual side, and maybe recapitulating Aang's world-tour training along the way. Just as well that they didn't go that route; as I've said, I don't want this show to repeat what the original did. Plus I guess they already had this finale written before they got a second-season order, so it had to work as a conclusion.

And though it may have been a bit abrupt, it was a great moment when the Avatars past restored Korra's bending and she entered the Avatar State for the first time, with the A:TLA theme music accompanying triumphantly. I think the only other times we've heard that melody were in the opening titles to episode 1 and in the "Out of the Past" flashbacks of Aang battling Yakone.

It's weird seeing an Avatar enter the State and only have the eyes glow, nothing else. Of course, Korra doesn't have any tattoos (none visible, anyway) so there isn't really anything else that would glow, I guess.

It's also surprising that she was able to master the State so quickly, apparently able to enter it at will in order to energybend people and heal what Amon did to them. It took Aang a lot longer to gain voluntary control over the State.

I suppose it's fitting that her inability to airbend before now was the thing that saved her. I wouldn't mind a little more explanation for why Amon could only take away the abilities she'd previously used, but I can accept it. And it makes me wonder if her inability to airbend before was ordained by fate, so that she would have it in reserve when she needed it. Also, her ability to tap into it at her most desperate fits with what Aang's spirit said later about making a spiritual connection at her lowest point, and what Tenzin said in an earlier episode about airbending being the most spiritual of the bending arts.

Hmm, I wonder if that's it. Amon's anti-bending technique was strictly physical in its basis, after all. And he never actually got around to "purifying" an airbender. So we don't really know if it would've worked on Tenzin and the kids anyway. Seems a stretch, though.

I wonder if the Lieutenant is dead. It seems likely, since we didn't see him after Amon bloodbent him, and it stands to reason that Amon would kill him to keep him from exposing the truth.

For me the most shocking moment (no pun intended) was what Tarrlok did on the speedboat. I can't really see it as a heroic act, since it was so cold-blooded, but Tarrlok was trying to redeem himself in his way, I guess.

(And I had a tangential thought about that. Who, if anyone, would be able to bend gasoline? I'd guess an earthbender, since petroleum is a mineral product and is made of hydrocarbons, which are one of the major constituents of bituminous coal. On the other hand, it's an organic compound, and of biological origin if you go back far enough, and there are no benders that can bend organic matter; even bloodbenders and plantbenders are only manipulating the water inside organisms. Maybe it's like metal -- all the "earth" in crude oil has been refined out when it becomes gasoline, so there'd be nothing left for an earthbender to get a grip on.)

I feel sorry for Asami. Not only did she lose Mako to Korra, but she lost any hope of ever reconciling with her father. She's basically got nothing left -- except maybe her father's business and gobs of money, depending on what the legal system decides to do with Hiroshi's assets, but that's cold comfort if you're alone. I'm kinda hoping she and Bolin get together.

Now I'm wondering what Book 2 will be about. I guess there's a lot of aftermath to deal with. Even with Amon exposed, there's still a lot of resentment between benders and non-benders in Republic City, and it'll be hard work to restore balance there, which is Korra's primary mission. For starters, they should put at least a couple of non-benders on the council. The councillors are supposed to represent the five nations (counting Northern and Southern Water Tribes separately), and there are non-benders in all nations now (since I figure we can count people like Pema and the Air Acolytes as part of the new Air nation). So there's no legitimate reason why all the councillors should be benders, and the fact that they were is part of what created the social unrest that Amon exploited.