A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 18 2012, 03:47 AM   #361
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Neither of Katara's parents were benders.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 03:48 AM   #362
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
And that lightning guy seems more like a light bender, especially since his lightning emanates from his third eye, where the 6th chakra lies.
You must mean Combustion Man, and he didn't fire lightning. According to the Avatar Wiki:

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Combust..._and_abilities
He channeled chi energy from his stomach, and then focused and fired it from his third eye, through a tattoo on his forehead. This energy created thin transparent energy bolts that cracked like firecrackers as they traveled and then explode violently on impact with a surface.
So it wasn't lightning, it was pure concentrated chi, the energy source for firebending. Instead of generating fire directly from his body, he projected chi toward a target (kind of a chi laser) and caused it to explode.
Thanks for the clarification. I remember a bit of that. Looks like he channeled chi from the fire chakra too, the solar plexus. Fire in the belly.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 03:48 AM   #363
RoJoHen
Awesome

Fair point.
Old June 18 2012, 03:49 AM   #364
RoJoHen
Awesome

Maybe Amon IS Combustion Man...come to claim his revenge! He got his chi blocked by a boomerang, and now he wants to block everyone else's chi! He wears a mask because his face is deformed from when his forehead exploded.
Old June 18 2012, 03:50 AM   #365
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I don't remember if we learned it in the premiere, but are either of Korra's parents benders?
It hasn't been specified, but it seems unlikely. Tonraq and Senna are both from the Southern Water Tribe, and as far as we know, Katara was the last surviving waterbender in the South, and only had one waterbender child, Kya. It's probable that there's been immigration from the Northern Water Tribe to help replenish the waterbender population, but in the 53 years between Sozin's Comet and Korra's birth, the bender population couldn't have grown that much.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 04:21 AM   #366
Takeru
Fleet Captain

It hasn't been specified, but it seems unlikely.
Nope, they're both waterbenders, according to the family tree we got the pictures of Kya and Bumi from.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 05:54 AM   #367
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Takeru wrote: View Post
Nope, they're both waterbenders, according to the family tree we got the pictures of Kya and Bumi from.
You mean Kia was wrong? lmao awesome.

And why are people calling that one dude "combustible man?" His name is Sparky Sparky Boom Man!
Old June 18 2012, 06:59 AM   #368
RoJoHen
Awesome

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
And why are people calling that one dude "combustible man?" His name is Sparky Sparky Boom Man!
Combustion Man. It is also his name.
Old June 18 2012, 01:19 PM   #369
Christopher
Writer

Takeru wrote: View Post
I see. Then I wonder if they're immigrants from the Northern Tribe, or the children of same. Although if Katara was the child of two nonbenders, I suppose they both could've been as well.

Hm. If benders can be born from non-benders, then Amon's crusade to wipe out benders is probably doomed. Even if he exterminated them in one generation, more would still be born in the future.

But then, it might be interesting to see a series set in a future where the Equalists had won and bending was believed extinct, with a next generation of benders having to keep their powers secret.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 01:48 PM   #370
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I suppose it's possible bending ability can skip a generation or two, so once the fire nation stopped rounding them up as they manifested others were born who had grand parents or great-grandparents who were benders. After three generations or so and some north to south tribe immigration their numbers could have swelled. Indeed, I don't think either of Katara & Sokka's parents were benders, nor was their Gran-gran.

On a slightly different topic; has it ever been established if there was such as thing as non-bender air nomads, or where they unique in the four nations by being an all bender culture?

Maybe Amon IS Combustion Man...come to claim his revenge! He got his chi blocked by a boomerang, and now he wants to block everyone else's chi! He wears a mask because his face is deformed from when his forehead exploded.
My money is still on him having something to do with Koh. Yeah, the evidence is tenuous, but name one other character with a connection to the spirit world, has a thing for masks *and* a motive for indirectly going after the Avatar.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 05:18 PM   #371
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Wow.

You guys are really knowledgable about this stuff.

I was just going to comment on the fart bending...

I definitely think the army general guy is related to the fire kid from the original series.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 05:51 PM   #372
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I think Amon is probably not using energybending as he claims. He is probably doing a variation of Tarrok's bloodbending, but manipulating the chakras in some ways to block the bending.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 06:09 PM   #373
Snaploud
Admiral

There was a collection of comics called "The Lost Tales" in which one of the characters could "shadow bend" (manipulating shadows to act as physical constraints). Granted, it was mostly played as a quick gag, and we can argue over whether or not it's canon. Still, it's interesting to think what sort of bending capabilities that might imply.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 07:17 PM   #374
RoJoHen
Awesome

Reverend wrote: View Post
On a slightly different topic; has it ever been established if there was such as thing as non-bender air nomads, or where they unique in the four nations by being an all bender culture?
I'm sure there were non-benders among the Air Nomads. We just never got a chance to see any because, ya know, all the Air Nomads are dead.

My money is still on him having something to do with Koh. Yeah, the evidence is tenuous, but name one other character with a connection to the spirit world, has a thing for masks *and* a motive for indirectly going after the Avatar.
At this point I'm getting a little disappointed by Amon's character development. I realize this was only intended to be a 12-episode story, but so far we've basically just had to take it on faith that Amon has this crazy anti-bending power. He says he got it from a spirit, but how and why? What's the point? What spirit wants to take away bending? I'm afraid that we'll get an explanation at the very end of the season and that it will sort of feel shoehorned in. We've had very little build up about Amon's motives.
Old June 18 2012, 07:23 PM   #375
SG-17
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'm sure there were non-benders among the Air Nomads. We just never got a chance to see any because, ya know, all the Air Nomads are dead.

At this point I'm getting a little disappointed by Amon's character development. I realize this was only intended to be a 12-episode story, but so far we've basically just had to take it on faith that Amon has this crazy anti-bending power. He says he got it from a spirit, but how and why? What's the point? What spirit wants to take away bending? I'm afraid that we'll get an explanation at the very end of the season and that it will sort of feel shoehorned in. We've had very little build up about Amon's motives.
I'm pretty sure that it was stated somewhere that all of the Air Nomads were benders.

Also, Koh the Face Stealer is a viable spirit.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote