Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 12 2012, 10:52 PM   #301
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I'm curious. You must have a screen shot showing where it was written - on screen - that the name is spelled "Bumi," yes? Otherwise, you're pulling it out of your butt, and ASSuming you're right.
Well, it was spelled "Bumi" in the original show, and Aang clearly named his son after that character, so it stands to reason it would be spelled the same.
Was there a note, or a book, or banner, or something else, that was depicted on screen showing that spelling? I'm able to find five episode titles that have character names in them, but "Bumi" is not among them.

Jet, Zuko Alone, Appa's Lost Days, Sokka's Master, and Sozin's Coment Part 4: Avatar Aang.
You are kidding right? You really think that Boomie is a proper Hindu/Indian name?

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Bumi

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 10:53 PM   #302
Christopher
Writer

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Bumi_(non-bender)

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Bumi

From the latter link:
The name "Bumi" means "Earth" in the Tamil, Kannada, Hindi, Telegu (and other Indian Languages), Malaysian and Indonesian language, which is in turn derived from the Sanskrit "Bhumi", meaning "Earth".

Was there a note, or a book, or banner, or something else, that was depicted on screen showing that spelling?
No, because they don't use the Roman alphabet in onscreen text. When his name appeared in writing in "Return to Omashu," it was written as 布米. However, I would assume the spelling "Bumi" did appear in the end credits of the episodes where the character appeared, because that's how it's spelled on André Sogliuzzo's IMDb page as well as every other official source.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 11:01 PM   #303
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Christopher wrote: View Post
Was there a note, or a book, or banner, or something else, that was depicted on screen showing that spelling?
No, <snip>. However, I would assume ...
Ah, gotchya. So, you're assuming, without actual facts to back you up. I would have let it slide by, but you did your usual "Christopher feels the need to correct someone and show he think he's superior to somebody else" nonsense. Basically, all you have is an assumption, and you're using it to correct somebody else. And you wonder why you have that reputation.
Old June 13 2012, 01:35 AM   #304
SG-17
Commodore

Ah, gotchya. So, you're assuming, without actual facts to back you up. I would have let it slide by, but you did your usual "Christopher feels the need to correct someone and show he think he's superior to somebody else" nonsense. Basically, all you have is an assumption, and you're using it to correct somebody else. And you wonder why you have that reputation.
What? Do you have a personal vendetta against Christopher or something? It isn't an assumption, it is fact.

Taken directly from the official family tree released.

Old June 13 2012, 03:42 AM   #305
Christopher
Writer

SG-17 wrote: View Post
What? Do you have a personal vendetta against Christopher or something?
Apparently he does, and has for years. I have no idea why.

Old June 13 2012, 04:52 AM   #306
JD
Admiral

Actually he has several facts to back him up, which he listed in the previous post. When it comes to things like this it can be pretty easy to figure out how it's supposed to be even if it wasn't shown on screen.
When it comes to stuff like this, you can see it's a pre-existing name, which apparently this was, or you can check to see how it's spelled in casts lists for episodes the character appeared in, which Christopher apparently has, or you can check for things from official sources, like books or websites, which Christopher did.
Old June 13 2012, 05:14 AM   #307
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Of course you don't. And the moon is made of cheese. And Firefly just aired its 200th episode.
Old June 13 2012, 05:20 AM   #308
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Of course you don't. And the moon is made of cheese. And Firefly just aired its 200th episode.
Dude, back off. None of the rest of us are interested in this pettiness. Especially since you were wrong.
Old June 13 2012, 09:16 AM   #309
Takeru
Fleet Captain

They were mentioned in episode 1.
Pema: Were Tenzin and his siblings this crazy when they were kids?
Katara: Kya and Bumi certainly were, but Tenzin has always been... rather serious.
Making a point of mentioning them like that may have just been an easter egg for the fans -- "Hey, Aang and Katara named their kids after Katara's mom and Aang's old friend!" -- but it could also have been to put Chekhov's Gun on the wall.
You're right, I completely forgot.
Still, I don't think a throwaway line in the first episode is enough to establish Bumi as a character. That would be more like Chekov's tiny and hard to see gun on the wall to the left that no one paid attention to. Yes, it was technically there, but not really.

I'm curious. You must have a screen shot showing where it was written - on screen - that the name is spelled "Bumi," yes?
I have one, the end credits of episode 5 "The King of Omashu":

Now that you're asking, I have a book that shows the spelling, "Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series", it's not a book that showed up in the series, but it was written by Mike and Bryan themselves and I think they're a pretty good source:

Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 01:40 PM   #310
Christopher
Writer

^I've gotta get that book.

Old June 13 2012, 05:14 PM   #311
Takeru
Fleet Captain

It's a fantastic book, it has tons of information about the development of the series and countless character designs, backgrounds, sketches, artwork etc., I recommend it to every fan of the series, I hope they do one for Korra as well when the series is finished.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 05:16 PM   #312
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Good art book and it really shows how much thought the two of them put into making ATLA.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:20 PM   #313
Manticore
Rear Admiral

^I've gotta get that book.
Ditto.
Old June 14 2012, 02:51 AM   #314
JD
Admiral

I was just flipping through the look inside stuff on Amazon, and it had some early sketches of what looks like Aang riding a Polar Bear Dog. I thought that was kinda interesting.
I'm thinking I might have to check this out once I finish the show on Netflix.
Old June 16 2012, 04:33 PM   #315
SG-17
Commodore