Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2012, 05:48 PM   #196
Redfern
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Looks like Korra has mastered a small measure of air-bending given how she out burped Bolin at the restaurant.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 06:49 PM   #197
RoJoHen
Awesome

Reverend wrote: View Post
Indeed, I seem to recall Sokka drinking cactus juice and spending the rest of the episode hallucinating.
Cactus juice. It'll quench ya. Nothing's quenchier. It's the quenchiest!

Fine. I love that episode.
Old May 7 2012, 07:02 PM   #198
Redfern
Commodore

Yeah, I was amazed "standards and practices" did not force the production to drop that bit from the episode. I can only suspect the creators pulled a "briar patch" by proposing something far more outlandish, knowing the censors would freak and want the crew to scale it back.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old May 7 2012, 08:26 PM   #199
SG-17
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The only "adult" thing I could see in the episode (and I'm not even sure this is what was going on) was that Bolin apparently got wasted and then had a massive hangover the next day at the pro-bending tournament.
If you interperate that scene thay way then you could say the scene where Korra said to Mako "well whe you're with her you are thinking about me!" as something much more adult

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 03:42 AM   #200
Agent Richard07
Admiral

1x05: "The Spirit of Competition"...

For a light episode and a break from the main story, it was pretty enjoyable. It could have been boring but they made it funny.

- Korra is quite the tomboy. I liked how she and Bolin were comfortable scarfing down noodles in front of eachother without any sense of propriety.

- I'm still not too keen on the probending bit, but I found the game a tad bit engaging. I found myself paying attention to how the game was played. Didn't see how they got back onto the platform after being thrown off though. There was an elevator on the far wall, but how did they get onto the platform?

- Pabu is a cute little guy but he doesn't have all the lively quirks that Momo had. Same story with Naga, who's lacking that "something" that Appa had which made him a rich character for an animal.

- I was just reading up on Mako, Bolin and Amon on Avatar Wiki. Interesting that both parties lost their family at the hands of a fire bender.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 04:17 AM   #201
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Didn't see how they got back onto the platform after being thrown off though. There was an elevator on the far wall, but how did they get onto the platform?
We saw a shot of that, didn't we? There's a bridge/platform thingy that slides out mechanically to abut with the ring.

- Pabu is a cute little guy but he doesn't have all the lively quirks that Momo had. Same story with Naga, who's lacking that "something" that Appa had which made him a rich character for an animal.
I think that's because the show skews older both in cast and target audience. Making the animal sidekicks more personified is more a younger-kids sort of thing, I think. Here they're behaving more like realistic animals. I actually find Naga quite endearing, even though I'm not a dog person and would be scared to death of her if she really existed and came anywhere near me. I loved the bit last week where Naga was lying on her back and Korra was petting her belly. That was adorable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 04:44 AM   #202
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Didn't see how they got back onto the platform after being thrown off though. There was an elevator on the far wall, but how did they get onto the platform?
We saw a shot of that, didn't we? There's a bridge/platform thingy that slides out mechanically to abut with the ring.
I must have missed it.

I think that's because the show skews older both in cast and target audience. Making the animal sidekicks more personified is more a younger-kids sort of thing, I think. Here they're behaving more like realistic animals.
That's a fair point.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 08:47 AM   #203
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I think that's because the show skews older both in cast and target audience. Making the animal sidekicks more personified is more a younger-kids sort of thing, I think. Here they're behaving more like realistic animals. I actually find Naga quite endearing, even though I'm not a dog person and would be scared to death of her if she really existed and came anywhere near me. I loved the bit last week where Naga was lying on her back and Korra was petting her belly. That was adorable.
Sorry, but I don't see how a drunk/depressed ferret is considered as "behaving more like realistic animals".
Old May 8 2012, 02:37 PM   #204
Christopher
Writer

^The word "more" is comparative, not absolute. Of course the animal characters are anthropomorphized to some extent, but not as much as Appa and Momo were.

Old May 8 2012, 03:36 PM   #205
Redfern
Commodore

After that binge session, the poor lil' thing looked like it could have out burped both Bolin and Korra.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old May 12 2012, 08:38 PM   #206
SG-17
Commodore

Wow... that was an amazing episode.

Also Tenzin and Lin? Didn't expect that.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 10:27 PM   #207
Christopher
Writer

This episode was very intense. After the end of that huge, epic action scene, I was literally panting hard. I think that's because it wasn't just exciting action, but because there were some good character beats there too, especially Lin and Korra coming together and fighting as a team. I'd been wanting to see another kickass female fighter in this show, since it didn't seem right that we only had one so far, and Lin certainly fits that bill (though I was hoping for someone younger and hotter).

But Fridge Logic kicked in afterward, and I realized the setup had some serious credibility problems. If the police knew Amon was planning an attack, why were they taken by surprise? Didn't it occur to them that Equalists might sneak in with the audience? Why didn't they search the attendees before letting them in? They must know the Equalists use electric weapons, and metalbending cops would be walking metal detectors, so they should've been able to tell that the weapons were being smuggled in.

I also have a hard time believing the Wolfbats could've gotten away with committing so many blatant fouls and bribing the referees to ignore them. Wouldn't there be some higher authority that could be appealed to in a case of such blatant cheating? Even if the refs ruled them the winners, couldn't it be overturned later and the championship taken away from them?

Anyway, I have to admire how dedicated Shiro Shinobi, the pro-bending announcer, is to his job. He just kept on reporting the play-by-play events even when he himself was being attacked (though he gave us a little too much information there). Really, the Equalists should've left him conscious to keep reporting; it would've helped spread fear if the public had heard every bit of what happened.

Korra's still getting more flashbacks of Aang, Toph, and the others. That's bound to become significant.

Old May 12 2012, 11:30 PM   #208
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I was wondering what the significance of that flashback was, it definitely seems like their leading to something there.
I really enjoyed this episode, it had great actions, humor, and some outstanding character moments.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 02:26 AM   #209
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

But Fridge Logic kicked in afterward, and I realized the setup had some serious credibility problems. If the police knew Amon was planning an attack, why were they taken by surprise? Didn't it occur to them that Equalists might sneak in with the audience? Why didn't they search the attendees before letting them in? They must know the Equalists use electric weapons, and metalbending cops would be walking metal detectors, so they should've been able to tell that the weapons were being smuggled in.
Perhaps in old world naivete they didn't expect such a "dirty" tactic and were preparing for a more direct assault? Like 9/11 and expecting the terrorists to ransom the plane or some such when they commandeered them.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 03:25 AM   #210
Psylent1
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, I was wondering what the significance of that flashback was, it definitely seems like their leading to something there.
I really enjoyed this episode, it had great actions, humor, and some outstanding character moments.
I think the flashbacks are Aang trying to communicate with the Spirit-blind Korra. Until she enters the Avatar state the first time, she can't communicate with him, but maybe he can try to send her information.

I am curious as to why Amon didn't take away Korra, Tenzin or Lin's bending? Considering the only people he has stripped of their bending were criminals and cheats, maybe he can't.
Psylent1 is offline   Reply With Quote