CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 4 2012, 09:56 PM   #61
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 discussion thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I'm not too familiar with Wasp in the comics, but in this show, Jan has shown herself to be quite clever, creative, and relentless in action, and is often able to pull off victories that don't seem possible based on relative power levels alone. As for Hawkeye... well, I don't know. Stubbornness and attitude? Whatever it is he has, he's managed to hold his own alongside the heavy hitters.
My favorite era of Avengers comics and for the Wasp in particular was when Roger Stern was writing the book and Wasp was team leader for an extended period. She more than proved herself as equally capable of leading the team as any of the heavy hitters.

As for Hawkeye, he's proved himself as a leader himself, during the West Coast Avenger era and now during his stint as leader of the Secret Avengers. But besides that, he's the guy you never count out, and he is often last Avenger standing. Once, when both East and West coast teams were out for the count fighting the Grandmaster, an Elder of the Universe, Hawkeye saved the day by out-bluffing him with a variation of a shell game.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 4 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 10:41 PM   #62
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I think the important thing to that story is the preamble...

Every dead villain vs every Avenger (And the Silver Surfer) but when the dust settles the only two Avengers left standing are Captain American and Hawkeye, and then it's shell game time.

Oh.

Don't forget that Hawkeye also led the Thunderbolts for a time till it all got muddied by that Earth Two claptrap.

And lets not forget that Hawkeye started off his career as an Iron Man's Rogue, so he fricking specialized in extracting pompous windbag assholes from tin cans.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:41 PM   #63
JD
Admiral

I watched "The Private War of Doctor Doom" yesterday, and I really enjoyed. I can't really think of anything else to add other than the fact that I really look forward to watching the rest of the season once it's added to Netflix.
Old April 8 2012, 12:22 AM   #64
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Tomorrows ep--

"Alone Against A.I.M."-- Tony Stark battles technovore without his Iron Man armor.
Old April 8 2012, 12:52 AM   #65
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

...And a clip!

Very cool, as it confirms the existence of X-Men other than Wolverine in the A:EMH universe and lays down hints of "Civil War".
Old April 9 2012, 01:53 AM   #66
jep316
Fleet Captain

So it looks like their free to use most everyone in the Marvel Universe.

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 03:53 AM   #67
Mr Light
Admiral

I found 2X2 to be very uninteresting, maybe because I've always found AIM and Hydra to be very boring villains, I had no idea who Technovore was, and it basically starred just Iron Man.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 04:17 AM   #68
Christopher
Writer

I found it interesting that the episode painted Tony as such a staunch opponent of superhero registration, the opposite of his position in Civil War. I was kind of expecting something to happen here that would change his mind, but he was still against it at the end. Maybe that's because Cap being a Skrull impostor pre-empts his role in the CW story.

I've forgotten what happened to Nick Fury in season 1 that led to Maria Hill taking over SHIELD.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 06:32 AM   #69
jep316
Fleet Captain

Funny earlier I ask whether they were going to do the Civil war storyline and bam this episode there's hints of it,of course if they do it it'll be a tamer version and will come after the Skrull invasion storyline instead of the reverse in the comicbooks.

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 01:46 PM   #70
Mr Light
Admiral

Iron Man was initially against the Registration (he lobbied against it in Washington) but the Stamford Incident changed his mind.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 01:51 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, I've read those Amazing Spider-Man issues. I always attributed Tony's abrupt turnaround more to lack of coordination between the different series' writers.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 04:11 PM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The registration act happened first, then Stamford?

What a massive coincidence.

Supercharging Nitro was just about Damage Control generating business.

Good lord, all this happened so long ago.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 08:39 PM   #73
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I found it interesting that the episode painted Tony as such a staunch opponent of superhero registration, the opposite of his position in Civil War. I was kind of expecting something to happen here that would change his mind, but he was still against it at the end. Maybe that's because Cap being a Skrull impostor pre-empts his role in the CW story.

I think EMH's portray's this Tony as someone that values being part of a team.

To register would mean going into the private lives of his team.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 11:30 PM   #74
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I've forgotten what happened to Nick Fury in season 1 that led to Maria Hill taking over SHIELD.
The last time we saw Nick Fury last season was when it was discovered that Viper was a Skrull. The next time we see SHIELD, Fury had gone underground, and Hill was running SHIELD. Presumably, Nick went underground due to the belief that he couldn't trust anyone around him not to be a Skrull.

This week' episode was OK. It seemed more like an "issue" of Iron Man rather than Avengers: EMH, but it's OK to focus on a single character and their supporting cast every now and again. It was cool to see Rhodey in his War-Machine suit and interesting to note how Tony being an Avenger is hurting his business. In the comics, Tony keeps talking about how he doesn't have the money to bankroll the Avengers anymore, yet keeps building skyscrapers and Quinjets for them.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 10 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 12:04 AM   #75
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

There have been other Registration-like movements in the past, and they may be going with and/or combining it with The one from Roy Thomas' kree-skrull war, which is the theme of this season after all.
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote