A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 6 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Man sues over price of movie popcorn

A Michigan man says the price of movie theater popcorn is ridiculously high. Same goes for the sodas and candies sold by movie concessionaires. So Joshua Thompson is taking the issue to a higher authority: He's filed a class-action lawsuit to end what he says is price gouging.

Thompson, an avid moviegoer from Livonia, Mich., used to bypass the high prices charged for theater popcorn, soda and candy by bringing in his own treats, said his attorney, Kerry Morgan. But Thompson arrived at his local theater outside Detroit recently to find a new sign telling customers they were no longer allowed to bring in their own goodies.
"He called me and said, 'Can they do that?' " Morgan told The Times. The attorney said his first reaction was, "Sure, they can do that, it's private property." But then he began doing a little legal research and came across the Michigan Consumer Protection Act, a statute designed to prevent price gouging.

And a lawsuit was born.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...ry?track=icymi

I think we have all secretly wanted to sue the theaters for how much they charge for their food. Too bad I don't see this going any where.
Old March 6 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: Man sues over price of movie popcorn

How would movie theatres police a ban on customers bring their own food and drink - full body scanners, sniffer dogs, and concealed night-vision cameras? Makes me glad I took the decision to stop going to see movies a couple of years ago, and I never ate or drank anything there in any case.
Old March 6 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Dream
Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
How would movie theatres police a ban on customers bring their own food and drink
They can ask to check your bag or backpack when you give them your ticket. I think all movie theaters can refund your money then ask you to leave if you don't follow the rules.
Old March 6 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
the G-man
Commodore

Sad thing is that this doesn't necessarily hit the giant entertainment corporations that run the studios and theater chains. It also hits any/all independent theaters that actually need those concession sales to survive.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
How would movie theatres police a ban on customers bring their own food and drink
They can ask to check your bag or backpack when you give them your ticket. I think all movie theaters can refund your money then ask you to leave if you don't follow the rules.
What not even a full body-cavity search - lightweights!
Old March 6 2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Starkers
Admiral

They have signs up at my local cinema, but nobody's ever checked my bags/pockets...hell I've seen people munching away on Subways and the like inside.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I'd rather sue over the continual force-feeding of Will Ferrell and Jack Black ''comedies'' to the general public.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
firesoforion
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it's not worth the price to someone, they just shouldn't eat it. Maybe it'd force hollywood to start making movies worth watching without the snacks then! It's unbelievably unhealthy anyway. And if it's not worth it to you to go to a movie without popcorn, then don't! ...Anyway, added to the list of silly lawsuits.
Old March 6 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Theatres have to bid a portion of the door proceeds in order to get a movie in the first place. And usually they pay 90% of the door in order to have the movie at all. The concession is where they make money.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 07:16 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

My local cinema charges over twice the cost it would be in a supermarket or even the local corner store.

I suspect most movie goers don't mind paying a small premium maybe upto 50% but 100%+ is being taken for a ride.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Mr Light
Admiral

I just don't eat at the movies

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm against the cost of popcorn at the movies and I never buy it. Still, I am afraid that they would raise the price of tickets in order to make money if they weren't allowed to raise the price of popcorn. I'd rather have cheap ticket prices.
Old March 6 2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Really? Just don't buy it. I've always found it prohibitively expensive and I've weened myself off buying popcorn at the theatre. The worse ones are the big chains. But even so, it's no cause for suing. It's just what they do to make a bottom line. But if enough people don't buy popcorn for them to be profitable, they'd likely lower the price. But if you think about it, concession food is made to make you buy more stuff. They make the popcorn really salty so you need a drink, so already they know people will buy a drink if people buy the popcorn.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If I'm going to be hungry at the movies, I bring in my own food. I refuse to subject my body to their junk, even if it were given away free. Screw them and their bullshit policies. They're lucky to have customers at all, given how the theater business has been going.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Harvey
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Sad thing is that this doesn't necessarily hit the giant entertainment corporations that run the studios and theater chains. It also hits any/all independent theaters that actually need those concession sales to survive.
All of the independent (usually nonprofit) art house cinemas that I've been to didn't price gouge like the big chains do when it comes to concessions.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote