Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 8 2012, 04:06 AM   #1
gastrof
Rear Admiral

The TNG DVD sets... individual seasons, or series set?

Anyone who's bought the "all seven years in a green box" set, can you tell me if the discs are decent?

I had a bad experience getting an "entire series in a box" set of another show. Turned out pretty much everyone who bought the set got discs with splotches on the recorded side that looked like dirt, but were under the surface.

Needless to say, it turned out the discs went bad quickly.

How did the "all in one box" TNG set turn out?

Anyone have comparison info on the individiual season sets vs. the "one box" set?

Thanks.
Old March 8 2012, 04:26 AM   #2
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: The TNG DVD sets... individual seasons, or series set?

My experiences with "all in one box" season sets has never been positive. Usually the manufacturer has to cram a few dozen discs into something relatively compact and it's not possible to do this and to properly protect the discs from damage.

I have the "MacGyver" box set and all of the discs are inside of a short "accordion file" style device made of cardboard with most of the back of the disc-surface touching the face of the disc behind it. Luckily none of the discs were damaged and I simply placed all of the discs inside of paper windowed envelopes for better protection.

The "X Files" series set has the seasons broken up into several "book-like" binders with the discs placed inside slits, the wax-coated paperstock binder does a decent job of protecting the discs. This is probably the "best" series set collection I've seen.

:deep breath:

And then there was M*A*S*H... A beautiful looking box set with a very nice collection of extras and such. The discs however? Were in the crappiest possible device you can imagine putting something in. They were in a similar "binder-like" device with the discs inside slits on the "pages" but the cardboard used to make the "pages" was very rough and was not kind to the discs at all. Pretty much all of the discs in the set looked like someone had rubbed them on Klinger's ass.

I took that box-set back to where I had bought it and was told for an opened item I could only get an exchange, when we opened the other box they had at the store we saw that the discs were all scratched up as well. I was given an exception and got my money back.

I cannot speak for the Trek series but my experiences with box sets for TV series isn't greatly positive. The only reason why the X-Files discs survive is because the discs are stored in a secure manner against a slick surface. Indelicate handling of the MacGyver set before I protected the discs could have resulted in damaged discs. The M*A*S*H discs were damaged just by being in the box (and this was a common complaint with this set.)

So I cannot say from personal experience how specifically the TNG sets are just that observe caution when it comes to series sets. For TNG you'd be cramming some 50 discs into a fairly small space, the likelihood they're properly contained isn't staggering. You're better off getting the season sets (which I'm sure can be found pretty cheap either at a retail store or in second-hand stores) that way you know all of the discs come fully secured in hard-plastic, snap-in style "jewel-case" like devices.

Last edited by WalkerBait; March 8 2012 at 10:53 AM.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Get the blu-ray sets that start releasing later this year.
Old March 8 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
AdmiralScreed
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I was about to say the same thing. If the OP isn't too familiar with the project, head over to Youtube and watch the trailers, and check out some of the screen caps. It looks like it's going to be amazing!
Old March 8 2012, 05:59 PM   #5
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I'll 3rd the blu ray recommendation. I have had no issues with my TNG DVD boxed set. But if I were looking to buy it today, I would wait for the blu ray set.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

I'll fourth the blu-ray suggestion. I have the 7 season box set and the case... Picture it... 25 sheets of cheap green plastic molded to hold two discs on each, and then "bound" into three separate "books" by a piece of extra wide tape placed on one side... Did I mention that the plastic is cracked all over the place and some of the discs don't even stay in the holders? I was not fond of the packaging. The discs themselves are fine, although the menus on the season one discs don't work correctly when I play them on my laptop... It only works when I play them on my Xbox 360...

I'll be getting the blu-rays as they come out, though.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 03:09 AM   #7
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Well, at least it seems the discs were in traditional snap-in holders that's far better than any series set I've ever seen.

I'd also second the idea of waiting for the Blu-Ray, keep in mind it'll take the next few years for the entire series to get out. If you must have the series now (and/or you don't have a BD player) then -as I said- I'd think the season sets can be found cheaply in second-hand stores. (Around here we have a place called "Vintage Stock" that carries old, used, DVDs, games, tapes, CDs, comic books and even toys.)

Checking on Amazon (USA version) right now the TNG DVD sets are available for about $47 -though buying one from a secondary retailer through Amazon takes that down to $40.) This would put the entire series at about $329 which, keep in mind, is a fraction of what people paid when the series came out new. From Amazon the series set costs around $300.

For $30 more I'd say it's worth it to get better packaging. If you don't like the bulkiness of the series sets (and the fold out style of the case) 7-disc cases can also be found and bought fairly cheaply.
Old March 10 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Not what I'm looking for, not an answer to my question.
Old March 10 2012, 11:14 PM   #9
22 Stars
Commodore

The green trays in the set are really brittle and almost always come with pieces of the hubs shattered. I bought clear slim dual disk cases from Meritline to replace the green trays. Those little broken pieces of plastic can easily scratch any disk.

The discs themselves are fine, but I too am looking forward to replacing the set with the blurays, there is no comparison.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

gastrof wrote: View Post
General comment: That rolls-eyes icon is just plain rude. I wish the mods would turf it.

To gastrof, it sounded like a perfectly useful comment to me, given in good faith. If you guys have a back history of sparring, it's not helpful to keep raising it.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 12:51 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

Just trying to help you avoid a DVD set that is, at best, a blurry mess.
Old March 11 2012, 12:54 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
General comment: That rolls-eyes icon is just plain rude. I wish the mods would turf it.

To gastrof, it sounded like a perfectly useful comment to me, given in good faith. If you guys have a back history of sparring, it's not helpful to keep raising it.
Me and Gastrof are cool.
Old March 11 2012, 10:30 PM   #13
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

What about the special features on the "green set" is there any difference?
Old March 11 2012, 11:16 PM   #14
22 Stars
Commodore

All the bonus content is on the discs in the green set.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 01:38 AM   #15
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

So nothing new? Thats lame. Has anybody heard that theyre going to be doing new stuff for the blurays?