Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 23 2012, 08:47 AM   #91
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Was Janeway a bit of a tyrant?

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
If the Prime Directive is a concern, should the Federation apply it to itself. In the case of Arturis and his slip stream drive, which is much more advanced than Federation technology. (Assuming it were given in full honesty, rather than as in the show) shouldn't they refuse the technology as it would upset their normal development as a civilization? Why is it acceptable for the Federation and Star Fleet to acquire advanced technology, but deny it to others?

Originally it seemed to only apply to pre warp civilizations.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 08:53 AM   #92
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Which is no longer the case, and retroactively never was the case.

"You are a cog that thinks it is the machine."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 10:15 AM   #93
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Janeway said that the Prime Directive applied in Prototype.

AI utilizing a technology generations ahead of Starfleet that was pwning Voyager.

Of course the Prime Directive goes both ways, applying to more advanced races screwing the federation over. Being nice to the younger races is about the best way to prove to the older races that you're too nice to be fucked over for no reason.

Although even if a world is more technologically advanced, Janeway can still contaminate them with culture and philosophy, like in the case of A Piece of the Action. Look what one book did. I mean Janeway would never just hand over an entire book like that and walk away never considering the consequences of her actions.

Besides Kodos, if you're talking about keeping the Array out of the Kazons hands in the pilot, the Prime Directive said that the Kazon were supposed to get it, Tuvok says that on camera, and breaking the Prime Directive was to stop the Kazon getting the Array, which is still what Tuvok said but a little more clearer, is bad and criminal and wrong. It is the natural development of the Kazon to take advantage of valuable salvage, and Janeway broke her own laws to stop them, to cancel Christmas, because she didn't like the possibility or what she thought that they might do with that technology maybe. She didn't like the consequence of herself doing nothing, as in what would have happened regardless if she wasn't there... if she was really concerned with the Kazon murdering and enslaving little cow species, then she should have killed them all. Her half measure was insulting to every one else in the quadrant being oppressed by the Kazon who Janeway left in chains, including her own crew two years later.

The only way that Janeways decision made sense was if she was severing all bonds with the Federation and aligning herself with some hypothetical quasigreatergood manifestation of the Delta Quadrant inhabitants of which she was it's chief moral arbitrator... Because that's what "being involved" in local politics means, when you have no damn idea what the local politics are, rather being a disinterested foreign interest who doesn't believe they want to be responsible for idiots acting idiotically and every one else paying the cost.

Ijust want you all to remember that Janeway said that she had NEVER broken the prime directive in Equinox, but later...

KASHYK: Are you sure you'll be welcome when you do? I came across something else in your database. The Prime Directive.
JANEWAY: The Federation's cardinal protocol.
KASHYK: It seems you violated it when you rescued these telepaths.
JANEWAY: Well, let's just say I usually go with my instincts and sort it out later at the Board of Inquiry. Those Admirals and I were on a first name basis, you know. You're risking a lot, too. Why?
She's saying that she's above the law because she knows people.

And really, if the Prime Directive applies to the Devore Imperium, a race on par with the Federation, at least in terms of technology, then it applies to everyone.
Interesting, but didn't the Caretaker tell Janeway he didn't want it to fall into Kazon hands? I honestly don't recall the episode all that well. Either way, I'd still say that once he died and Voyager was in possession, if not control, she'd be free to dispose of the technology at will as she would possess it as a piece of salvage itself after the Caretaker's death.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:56 AM   #94
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

(No worries. )

Caretaker wanted a son to caretake the Ocampa after he died because only his son could possibly understand the responsibility of that duty. Which makes me wonder if Willy Wonka was really secretly Charlie's father in either movie with either of Charlie's mothers. So Banjoman dragged different aliens from every corner of the galaxy to see if he could rape any of them without their dying. He spent months raping all sorts of aliens to death including Ransom's human crew 6 months before Janeway's mostly human crew, which shows exactly how scientific the approach Caretaker was taking toward finding a mate... That he seemed to have forgotten that humans were already incompatible with his semen while he was raping Harry to death.

THAT is who we are dealing with.

You can blame it on the dementia, but really, seriously, really, not a nice bloke.

So.

Janeway tries to board the array.

The Kazon tell her to bugger off.

There's a fight.

Voyager and the Val Jean vs. One Kazon City ship and two Kazon Shuttles.

The Kazon found out about transporters perhaps 20 minutes earlier, so they can be forgiven for not realizing that Janeway is already on Board the array while they're desperately trying to stop Voyager from docking, claiming the array and dominating this sector with all their impressive technology and putting the Kazon under boot just like the Trabe did for centuries.

During the fight, the Array's self destruct device is rendered malfunctional which soils the best laid plans of a complete idiot to live as long as can and then have his home blow up, so that he doesn't lose a second of his life to suicide that couldn't be spent raping aliens. His house didn't go boom and that worries him. Every idiot knows that you need contingency.

It is Caretakers belief that after the Kazon take the Array, and after they master replicator technology (among other innovations.) that they will steal the Ocampa's water and that these Elves will die of thirst. Cause and effect. He only believes that the Ocampa will suffer as collateral damage because they have an invaluable resource that the Kazon cannot live without... Even though the Kazon will now have replicators which will make water almost valueless. Really, giving the Array to the Kazon would make the Ocampa's water far safer than not.

On his death bed, with this spurious logic in mind, Caretaker asks that Janeway looks after the Ocampa for him, or destroy the array since he can't do either any longer.

Kathryn says no to both like a good Starfleet officer, but changes her mind less than 5 minutes later because she's such a flighty thing.

Back to the point you were actually interested in...

Caretakers is dead but Salvage rules don't apply until the Array is empty.

l would say that, since Janeway refused to caretake the Ocampa, that the Array was not willed to her like it would have been if she had accepted the job, and the fight out side meant that the ownership through salvage was in contest, and salvage wouldn't apply till Janeway, or Jabin left, gave up their claim... Although salvage on Earth only applies to shit left in international waters in-between countries, and frankly where all this was happening was Kazon Controlled Space, which means that it was their job, the Kazon, as the legal authorities, to decide the fate of the Array after caretakers death, baring any will or testament from the Caretaker, not that Caretaker wasn't a criminal they wanted to send to Kazon jail for all that rape, which again would see his property impounded by the Kazon authorities.

Does that help?

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 23 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old March 23 2012, 04:43 PM   #95
lurok
Commodore

Just started rewatching BSG (well, there's nothing else on) and Janeway's a pussycat next to Roslin. Makes you wonder where RDM might have taken her if he'd got hold of VOY reins.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 05:08 PM   #96
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Chakotay's quarters.

Old March 23 2012, 10:50 PM   #97
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
(No worries. )

Caretaker wanted a son to caretake the Ocampa after he died because only his son could possibly understand the responsibility of that duty. Which makes me wonder if Willy Wonka was really secretly Charlie's father in either movie with either of Charlie's mothers. So Banjoman dragged different aliens from every corner of the galaxy to see if he could rape any of them without their dying. He spent months raping all sorts of aliens to death including Ransom's human crew 6 months before Janeway's mostly human crew, which shows exactly how scientific the approach Caretaker was taking toward finding a mate... That he seemed to have forgotten that humans were already incompatible with his semen while he was raping Harry to death.

THAT is who we are dealing with.

You can blame it on the dementia, but really, seriously, really, not a nice bloke.

So.

Janeway tries to board the array.

The Kazon tell her to bugger off.

There's a fight.

Voyager and the Val Jean vs. One Kazon City ship and two Kazon Shuttles.

The Kazon found out about transporters perhaps 20 minutes earlier, so they can be forgiven for not realizing that Janeway is already on Board the array while they're desperately trying to stop Voyager from docking, claiming the array and dominating this sector with all their impressive technology and putting the Kazon under boot just like the Trabe did for centuries.

During the fight, the Array's self destruct device is rendered malfunctional which soils the best laid plans of a complete idiot to live as long as can and then have his home blow up, so that he doesn't lose a second of his life to suicide that couldn't be spent raping aliens. His house didn't go boom and that worries him. Every idiot knows that you need contingency.

It is Caretakers belief that after the Kazon take the Array, and after they master replicator technology (among other innovations.) that they will steal the Ocampa's water and that these Elves will die of thirst. Cause and effect. He only believes that the Ocampa will suffer as collateral damage because they have an invaluable resource that the Kazon cannot live without... Even though the Kazon will now have replicators which will make water almost valueless. Really, giving the Array to the Kazon would make the Ocampa's water far safer than not.

On his death bed, with this spurious logic in mind, Caretaker asks that Janeway looks after the Ocampa for him, or destroy the array since he can't do either any longer.

Kathryn says no to both like a good Starfleet officer, but changes her mind less than 5 minutes later because she's such a flighty thing.

Back to the point you were actually interested in...

Caretakers is dead but Salvage rules don't apply until the Array is empty.

l would say that, since Janeway refused to caretake the Ocampa, that the Array was not willed to her like it would have been if she had accepted the job, and the fight out side meant that the ownership through salvage was in contest, and salvage wouldn't apply till Janeway, or Jabin left, gave up their claim... Although salvage on Earth only applies to shit left in international waters in-between countries, and frankly where all this was happening was Kazon Controlled Space, which means that it was their job, the Kazon, as the legal authorities, to decide the fate of the Array after caretakers death, baring any will or testament from the Caretaker, not that Caretaker wasn't a criminal they wanted to send to Kazon jail for all that rape, which again would see his property impounded by the Kazon authorities.

Does that help?
It makes sense, but as the Federation has no treaties with the Kazon, Janeway can argue that she doesn't have to recognize the space as Kazon since there are no mutually recognized boarders to establish which space is controlled or not. There is the Kazon claim, but that is as far as it goes. I think Janeway has sufficient space to argue her case through the extraordinary situation that her ship was in. And I just don't care about the TNG era PD for reasons I mentioned earlier.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:23 PM   #98
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

PARIS: Why would anyone want to live in a place like this?
NEELIX: The rich cormaline deposits are very much in demand.
CHAKOTAY: The Ocampa use it for barter?
from the very beginning...

NEELIX: Not the Ocampa, the Kazon-Ogla.
JANEWAY: The Kazon-Ogla? Who are the Kazon-Ogla?
NEELIX: They are. Kazon sects control this part of the quadrant. Some have food, some have ore, some have water. They all trade and they all kill each other for it.
JANEWAY: I thought you said the Ocampa had our people.
NEELIX: My friends, it's good to see you again!
Janeway's guide and ally, who she trusts for some reason, just said that the kazon control most of 1/4 of the galaxy.

but you've actually got it backwards.

A treaty sets down rules of conduct and interaction, note the episode where Harry gets a glowing STD, with how the federation is allowed to share information and technology. known quantities to the federation can be treated as the assholes or angels they are and not be given such a benefit of the doubt over any misunderstandings, cultural or otherwise.

from TNG First Contact.

DURKEN: You speak the language of diplomacy very well, Captain. It is a language I appreciate and understand, but I have learned to not always trust it.
PICARD: Trust requires time and experience.
DURKEN: My world's history has recorded that conquerors often arrived with the words, we are your friends.
PICARD: We are not here as conquerors, Chancellor.
DURKEN: What do you want?
PICARD: A beginning. But how we proceed is entirely up to you.
DURKEN: And if my wishes should conflict with yours?
PICARD: There'll be no conflict.
DURKEN: And if I should tell you to leave and never return to my world?
PICARD: We will leave and never return. Chancellor, we are here only to help guide you into a new era. I can assure you we will not interfere in the natural development of your planet. That is, in fact, our Prime Directive.

DURKEN: I can infer from that directive that you do not intend to share all this exceptional technology with us.
PICARD: That is not the whole meaning, but it is part of it.
The only thing Janeway knew for sure is that these Kazon were willing to kill or die to DEFEND what they insisted was theirs, and frankly she never hinted that she thought otherwise, that she was in the heart of kazon space, surrounded by thousands of Kazon ships and trillions of kazon warriors.

Old March 23 2012, 11:36 PM   #99
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Guy, take a closer look at your bolded section.

Kazon sects control this part of the quadrant.

This part of the Quadrant could be any size you want it to be. Could be 1 light year in each direction, or 100,000+ LY in each direction.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:59 PM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

how small is "part" of the quarter of the galaxy, compared to 'part" of the sector.

Sure part of the quarter of the galaxy is exactly the same size as "part" of sector.

How many sectors in a quadrant? (6 and a quarter million according to wikipedia which claims that a sector is 20 LY cubed)

Not many, I suppose since Sisko once said that Odo was the best law man in the Sector.

The point I was trying to make is that Neelix was inexact and so unintentionally vague that Janeway might have made incorrect conclusions after listening to the words coming out of his fluffy yap.

I assume that you own a house in Sacramento?

So, you own part of Sacramento.

So you own part of California.

So you own part of America.

So you own part of the Earth.

So you own part of the Solar System.

So you own part of the sector.

So you own part of the Quadrant.

Hey.

Everyone.

Did you know that Sindatur owns part of the Quadrant?

Does that seem like I am saying that you own a quarter acre section, or half a million solar systems?