Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 7 2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

The Classic Final Fantasy Games Thread

I guess by the term "classic", we're talking anything before the recent Fabula Nova Crystallis series. The Final Fantasy series of games up until XI (not including the VII compilation which is awesome) are among my favourite games of all time. I'm particulary a massive fan of VII and VIII, which are often regarded as the best games in the series.

Anyway, I've been really disappointed with recent efforts, particulary XIII and all it's spin offs. It just isn't Final Fantasy in my opinion and Square-Enix has simply covered up it's shortfalls with cutting edge graphics, sound and lots of hype.

Now I think there are still stories left to tell with some of the earlier games. Sure, we've had a few spin offs from FFVII, but what about the stuff that hasn't been explored, like the distant past? We know that 2000 years before the date in the current game there was a crisis where Jenova landed on the planet and caused massive chaos amongst the Cetra. I'm pretty sure it's worth another game to tell the story of the Ancients and how they initially stopped Jenova.

Now VIII is pretty difficult to spin off because it involves a lot of time travel elements visiting the past and future throughout the game. Furthermore, the story ends pretty decisively, but that was more or less the same story where X was concerned and that got a sequel and it's even getting a remake! When I think of the things they could possibly cover in an VIII spin off...

First of all there is the Deep Sea Research facility and exactly what the scientists were experimenting with there. It's not worth a full game obviously, but it could be a major element in any spin off. I think we can all work out what eventually happened at the facility as it's hinted during exploration of the place in VIII. From what I can gather the scientists were experimenting with GF's as evidenced by Bahamut's distrust of humans and his apparent imprisonment in the blue forcefield. At some point the scientists excavated Ultima Weapon and ran for the hills, but not before sealing the creature at the bottom of the facility and releasing a ton of monsters to keep nosey visitors out. Still, this doesn't stop Squall and co!

There is also the matter of the Sorceress War, which we only saw the end of from Laguna's perspective. There's the matter of what exactly Esthar and Adel were doing in space and of course, why the Ragnarok spaceships were just abandoned.

Thoughts? And of course this is a discussion about any of the games so don't be dissuaded by my wishlist for spin offs!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: The Classic Final Fantasy Games Thread

I only really like the SNES games and IX for some reason. The other PSX titles did nothing for me. Well, except for Final Fantasy Tactics which is close to the best game ever made.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

X isn't getting a remake, just a remaster. SE clarified that yesterday;

Link

I think you're meaning to define the classic series as being I-XII rather than I-XI. XI was the online game that was absolute gash. For classic I'd imagine it either ends with X or XII dependent on whether or not you like XII.

Personally, whilst I loved VII, my favourite has always been VIII. The upnotch in graphics, the story, the characters, just preferred that to VII.

With regards to XIII and XIII-2 - I enjoyed XIII but not as a FF game. It was linear, which was fine, but again, not what I really expected from a FF game. As such I didn't really treat it as one, more of a game in its own right. Enjoyed it on that basis. XIII-2, would have been a return to 'classic' FF IMO, had they not watered down the core game to 25 hours and then hung a load of DLC off the back of it to flesh it out.
Old February 7 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Final Fantasy VI or nothing!!!

No seriously, in terms of story and fun value, the SNES ones are light years ahead of the later ones.
Old February 7 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I think you can pinpoint the demise of Final Fantasy to around the time that Sakaguchi left Square and the company merged with Enix. Everything afterwards was just a slow spiral to FF14 as the business executives turned a unique and wonderful franchise into a typical cookiecuttter jrpg series that most people can't relate to.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The original was good for its time. IV and VI are absolutely excellent. Probably worth noting that VI was the first game in the series to have all-new graphics, instead of upgraded NES graphics (as was the case for IV and V.) And it really shows in the level of detail in VI.

I never liked VII, but I love VIII. Couldn't really get into IX. I found X a lot of fun with a good story, but the dumbed-down mechanics kind of hurt it for me. But then they went totally nuts with XII!

The Tactics series was brilliant. Even the GBA/DS versions are pure gold.

Revenant Wings was kind of an interesting experiment--Final Fantasy does RTS.

I watched someone play XIII and it seemed to have hints of XII but the environment was definitely strange (for a FF game.)

I try not to be a snob about this series. None of the games have been really bad, it's just that the good ones are so good it's really noticeable when an entry doesn't live up.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

All of the SNES games were incredibly good and had so much more playability than many of the games being released at the time. I was still pretty young when the SNES was coming to an end and the trend still seemed to be for fast paced shooters and action games as opposed to RPG's.

I haven't played Tactics because it was impossible to get an import (fully translated too) copy over here in the UK when it was still being made. I'd imagine nowadays that a copy will set you back a small fortune! Still, the main thing about Tactics is my reluctance to give it a try because the concept of moving squares, or whatever it is scares me! One of the most important parts of Final Fantasy for me is the games not being too linear. I like the freedom to explore and do side quests from almost the start of the game.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 04:12 AM   #8
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Anything other than XIII/XIII-2, huh? Okay. I've got to echo the love for VI and VIII (great games that, IMO, are incredibly under-appreciated), and toss in some love for IX and IV as well.

Admiral M, you should definitely give Tactics a try. It really is a great game, and is the game that introduced us to the world of Ivalice (the setting of the PS1 game Vagrant story, the Tactics Advance games, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings). The game was remade for the PSP and released under the name 'Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions', so if you have that system, I'd suggest trying to find a copy.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 12:19 PM   #9
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

You'd be better off just playing the original FFT on your PSP (which you can get off PSN) if you want portable. The new translation is so stupidly flourishy that it's just as bad as if not worse than the original, sometimes flawed one.

I agree that FFT is an incredible game though, and would definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it. There's a LOT in the way of character/ability customization and if you ignore the ludicrously broken Orlandu the game can offer some fun challenge.
Old February 8 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Orlandu is a game-breaker alright. You could probably solo the entire game with him very easily if you wanted to.

Also, once you find the game getting pretty easy you can always try some Straight Character Challenges (SCC) for fun. Essentially it means playing with your entire party as one class (and this means no abilities from outside that class). It's a very unique challenge to beat the entire game with nothing except for slow-ass knights or some Mediators or, god-forbid, Calculators.

Old February 8 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
clint g
Admiral

I pretty much fall into the "everything after X is crap" camp. I had zero desire to play a Final Fantasy MMO, FFXII could have been decent if it wasn't for the shitty plot and forgettable characters and FFXIII was WAYYYYYYYYYY too linear. That being said, I've recently given FXIII another shot and I'm enjoying it more now than I did during the first go around. It still pales in comparison to FFX though (which was my personal favorite).

I watched someone play XIII and it seemed to have hints of XII but the environment was definitely strange (for a FF game.)
the environments (meaning the art design, not the linearity) was one of the things I liked the most about XIII. Sort of reminded me of FFX's Zanarkand on crack.
Old February 8 2012, 09:24 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I love the SNES Final Fantasies--all three. I actually was lucky enough to get to play FFV back in the day. I never got very far or got much out of it thanks to the language barrier (and this was before translation FAQs were a dime a dozen), but I still enjoyed it.

The only PSX one I ever cared for was VIII (Unless you count Tactics). I know I'm in the total minority there, but I still think VII is way too overrated, and IX is just boring. Though I admit I would have loved it tons more if Beatrix had been fully playable.

X is actually one of my favorites, and I think, all around, is the best game in the series--at least the International version is.

And, I actually sort of liked XII too despite having never finished it.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yeah, Orlandu is a game-breaker alright. You could probably solo the entire game with him very easily if you wanted to.

Also, once you find the game getting pretty easy you can always try some Straight Character Challenges (SCC) for fun. Essentially it means playing with your entire party as one class (and this means no abilities from outside that class). It's a very unique challenge to beat the entire game with nothing except for slow-ass knights or some Mediators or, god-forbid, Calculators.
There's also the FFT 1.3 patch which is worth a play through.

Though "insane difficulty" doesn't half cover it.

I've done several SCCs. (Like half the classes.) Once you learn the basic concepts, they start to get kind of easy. Calculators are the obvious exception, but I don't even know if it's possible to finish one without bending the rules a little.
Old February 8 2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Hey, I also liked VIII the best out of the PSX titles! I think it puts some people off because it has a romantic focus, much more than other games in the series.

Well, that, and...

Aside from that (and a materia system that's too easy to game), there's not much for me to complain about with VIII.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 11:49 PM   #14
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Hey, I also liked VIII the best out of the PSX titles! I think it puts some people off because it has a romantic focus, much more than other games in the series.

Well, that, and...

Aside from that (and a materia system that's too easy to game), there's not much for me to complain about with VIII.
The love story is the part I liked the most. I always find it funny, though, that the people who rip FFVIII for being a love story are generally the same people who laud Xenogears. When you get right down to the meat and potatoes, XG was nothing but a boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, boy saves girl tale.

I also like how VIII was a bit more cerebral and much more thoroughly written. It didn't simply fall back on plot but tried to adhere to more "classic" literary concepts and ideals. The writers also didn't try to pigeonhole the typical fantasy tropes and archetypes into it.
Old February 9 2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yes, but Xenogears had lots of religious symbolism. As we all know cramming symbolism into a work, regardless of context, makes it true art.