New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 2 2012, 09:41 PM   #511
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3 $$(ENDINGS SPOILERS)$$

Hey I found a video that deals with the problems in Mass Effect 3

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 11:24 PM   #512
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Like there isn't already a million of those.

Seriously though, it's good to see this approached from a design POV rather than a writing or a "GRR! EA AR SUCH EVILZ!!!" one. There are some very good points and a lot of it lines up with my own feelings.

I know I couldn't have been the only one to notice right from the off that the London mission just wasn't up to the same standard of design as the others. You get dropped in the middle of a fire-fight with no sense of the battlefield's geography, no clue where to go and having to deal with damn hades cannon (something you'd never even heard of until 20 seconds ago) firing blasts every few seconds that hit you with blinding light and a serious case of shaky-cam. Both of which only add to the confusion.

After you take it out you then have to dig in and fight infinite waves of enemies until your extraction shuttle arrives. Problem is agin the battlefield geography so so poorly designed and implemented that it's hard to get a sense of where the enemy is coming from and thus where to position yourself. A rather vital factor for shooters with cover mechanics.

Then to top it off you have to deal with several banshees, which as you discovered earlier in the game render cover next to useless as they can biotic-charge right up to your face, forcing you to dodge from cover and right into the kill zone of the ranged enemies. Now there's another Cain just over there on the floor that can make life easier, but you're not liable to spot that on your first try, as you're more likely to be focused on the enemy than looking for conveniently (or inconveniently) placed heavy weapons.

Actually, this is a flaw with the rest of the game too. On my first playthough I don't think I found *any* of the heavy weapon drops until *after* the fighting was over. You're apparently supposed to just stumble on them randomly.

The FOB section is handled fairly well, there's some neat touches like listening to radio chatter about casualty & scouting reports, some datapads left lying around and an mini-drama with a medic trying to coach a doomed civilian over the radio. You even get a nice little character moment with each of your party members and even a (somewhat implausibly arranged) chat over the comms with any surviving former squad-mates...the flow of which is utterly destroyed by some random and pointless turret segment. Seriously, what was the thinking behind this? You get a much better sense of "moving though the trenches" as it were if you saw other soldiers doing the fighting as you walked past.

After more exposition, Shepard gets to make *only* decision thus far in the level and the penultimate decision of the entire series: who do you want on your squad...? I mean that's all we get to decide? No say in how to deploy the various disparate forces you've pulled together throughout the *entire* game? No questions about what your other team mates or assets should be doing? By this point, Shepard is arguable the most important person in the whole Alliance. In practice only third in line of authority after Admirals Hackett and Anderson and her role is to pick a two person team to follow her where the fighting is heaviest?

Now I'm not saying Shep should have spent the next segment back at base while everyone else goes out to get slaughtered, but there should have been a lot more agency than this! She should have been given direct command over a battalion, of not a full brigade of ground forces with which to tackle the final combat mission. Assigning squadmates to command smaller units, directing assets to engage enemy forces to punch a hole though the reaper lines and allow the bulk of hammer a shot at the beam...but no, we get more street to street fighting, topped off by yet another "hold off endless waves of enemies" fight while we wait to be able to fire the magical thanix missiles (something else we only even hear about shortly before they're introduced) only two of which apparently have enough power to take down a destroyer-class reaper. Quite impressive considering the last two times we took down one of these it took either a Godzilla sized, acid spewing spaceworm or multiple precision orbital barrages from the largest fleet in the galaxy...if that's not a complete arse-pull, I don't know what is!

Finally, with our goal in sight we're left with the final brilliant strategy of "leg it across no man's land directly at the heavily armed and entrenched enemy position, never mind the two kilometre tall reaper that just landed opposite the kill zone." Field Marshal Haig would have been so proud! I can just see Shepard's final journal entry now. it simply says "bugger."

So yeah, sorry for the wall of text, that went on a bit longer than I'd intended! But still, as I've said before, the problems with this game extend much deeper than a shoddy ending, there are some serious design flaws throughout the game.

Last edited by Reverend; May 2 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 12:07 AM   #513
Steven
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
After more exposition, Shepard gets to make *only* decision thus far in the level and the penultimate decision of the entire series: who do you want on your squad...? I mean that's all we get to decide? No say in how to deploy the various disparate forces you've pulled together throughout the *entire* game? No questions about what your other team mates or assets should be doing? By this point, Shepard is arguable the most important person in the whole Alliance. In practice only third in line of authority after Admirals Hackett and Anderson and her role is to pick a two person team to follow her where the fighting is heaviest?

Now I'm not saying Shep should have spent the next segment back at base while everyone else goes out to get slaughtered, but there should have been a lot more agency than this! She should have been given direct command over a battalion, of not a full brigade of ground forces with which to tackle the final combat mission. Assigning squadmates to command smaller units, directing assets to engage enemy forces to punch a hole though the reaper lines and allow the bulk of hammer a shot at the beam...but no, we get more street to street fighting...
I agree with this. Taking the war assets you've collected and using them in something like ME2's suicide mission decisions would have worked really well. Say you're presented with needing to send a team to take out some Reaper target in a stealthy manner so as to not attract attention. Do you send:
a) A salarian STG unit
b) An Alliance or asari commando unit
c) A bunch of krogan

Obviously, there's the ideal option (salarians) that accomplishes the mission without causalities. Then the so-so option (Alliance/asari) that accomplishes the mission, but takes some losses. And the worst option, sending the krogan, which may or may not accomplish the mission and are completely lost.
Old May 4 2012, 03:28 PM   #514
superdeluxe
Captain

I like they actually has his words speaking about the climax/endings at the start of the video.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:26 PM   #515
throwback
Captain

I think that from the moment the fleet arrives at the Earth system that the delegating of tasks should have started. Would you, as a Paragon Shepard, order diversionary strikes on the Reaper fleet in an effort to (a.) move the Reapers from Earth's orbit and (b.) minimize causalities on Earth from missed shots? Or, would you, as a Renegade Shepard, order a Digeris-type assault with your cruisers and fighters on the Reaper fleet in Earth's orbit?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 03:18 AM   #516
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Lance Henriksen and Tricia Helfer are among the cast who've been brought back for Extended Cut voice work.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 02:39 PM   #517
Camren
Commodore

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Lance Henriksen and Tricia Helfer are among the cast who've been brought back for Extended Cut voice work.
Um, it seems Henriksen doesn't even know why he was brought back for the extended cut. "Problem with the ending if the player loses the game". No Lance, that's not the problem. Try playing and completing the game first.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 04:02 PM   #518
Steven
Admiral

/\ Well... no, he's right. It's just that there's no way to win the game.
Old May 19 2012, 08:58 PM   #519
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The player losing the game actually solves most of the problems. No Starchild with it's incoherent nonsense, no jungle planets appearing out of nowhere, no characters that are supposed to be dead showing up as if nothing happened...
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 06:08 PM   #520
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

My personal pet theory (more of a wish, come to think of it) is that the ending of ME3 is actually a bug and all three of the ending choices are decoys; they are meant to LOOK like real endings so nobody realizes the "true" ending his hidden. They cannot simply SAY this, of course, because then everyone knows what they're supposed to be looking for instead of discovering it themselves as they were originally meant to.

My guess is that much like the Barla Von bug (where the door to the apartment doesn't open and you have to leave the Commons and come back again in order to rescue him) the elusive fourth option doesn't trigger correctly or the clues that would lead the player to it never show up when they're supposed to. Bioware would be loathe to admit this, of course (they've refused to publicly acknowledge ANY of the recurring bugs in ME3, and there's an embarrassingly large number of them) so the DLC extension probably includes a fair number of bug quietly inserted into the package.

Which would explain why they're taking so long to release it. It's not just new voice acting and scenes, there's probably some ass-covering going on in the software.
Old May 20 2012, 08:14 PM   #521
ATimson
Rear Admiral

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Which would explain why they're taking so long to release it. It's not just new voice acting and scenes, there's probably some ass-covering going on in the software.
If that were really the case, someone would've found evidence on the disc by now.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 04:44 PM   #522
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

^ Evidence for what? We already knew there were bugs -- lots of them -- in Mass Effect 3. I doubt any hidden materials would really be apparent if the only way to access them is a bundle of code that never executes properly. We still lack, for example, any sort of explanation for the Minos Wasteland/Aequitas bug where the system/planet are both lit up like a vital mission despite being utterly inaccessible. And I earlier mentioned the Barla Von apartment door bug; seems to me that if leaving and reentering the presidium didn't reset the door, that entire sub-mission would have been entirely futile and nobody would EVER get to the outcome of it.

The final Mass Effect ending might be similarly muddled; if so, Bioware is releasing a patch that allows the hidden ending to become visible the way it was supposed to in the first place.

OTOH, thinking back to the first Mass Effect we were told by Sovereign that the citadel and the mass relays were originally created by the reapers in the first place just to guide all the races of the galaxy along a development path ideal for harvesting. That would make destroying the citidel and the mass relays part and parcel to ANY solution to the reapers. Even so, a viable fourth option would represent itself in Shepard managing to combine all three of them in a singular approach: you alone become a synergized super cyborg thing, which allows you to take control of the reapers and thus turn their weapons against each other, destroying themselves.
Old May 22 2012, 05:00 PM   #523
Reverend
Rear Admiral

He means that if there was any substantial content that wasn't implemented because of a bug, it'd still be in the game files and pretty hard to miss. The only cut content that's on the disc involves the odd line of dialogue. Some of it relating to the ending, sure, but nothing anywhere near as drastic as you suggest.

Besides, it's a moot point. No competent game studio would release a game that broken. Neither intentionally nor without knowing. It wouldn't happen. Period.

It'd be like a triple-A budget film being released with the final reel missing from the master print. Even if something that major was left out by accident, it'd be picked up and corrected *way* before it was released.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote