RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 830
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 10 2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Space: 1999 revival

Well, they're trying anyway...hasn't been sold to a network yet, so who knows if this will ever happen.
Space: 2099 is poised for a comeback. ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced plans for a reimagining of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's famed franchise of the 1970s, then called Space: 1999.
This news story calls it a "reimagining," but I know that reboot/re-whatever can be very slippery terms.

Do they dare keep the part about the moon leaving Earth's orbit?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Space: 1999 revival

It's hardly the same w/o that particular bit of whimsy..
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm afraid it would simply be too ridiculous today, assuming the series is meant to be taken seriously.

Here's their problem, they need to appeal to some existing audience. There's the SyFy lightweight romantic comedy audience, but Space: 1999 really doesn't fit that mold at all. There's the serious-sci-fi nuBSG audience, and they're the ones most likely to scoff at an absurd premise.

Not sure who they hope to make this series for. Lost in Space probably would be a better target for revival - that one could go either lightweight or serious, and there's nothing inherently ridiculous about the setup.
Old February 10 2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Do they dare keep the part about the moon leaving Earth's orbit?
They could. Just have the Moon whisked away via a wormhole or something. Or get rid of that angle altogether and set the new series aboard a space station.

As for a remake: I'd be all for it. This might actually work with a RDM-style downbeat outlook. Have Space: 2099 be as deadly serious and unrelentingly depressing as nuBSG.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I've got a couple of ideas on you could do Space: 2099 in an interesting way without having the moon go anywhere. I think it is entirely possible for this show to be done in a very realistic manner and still have it be engaging and entertaining.
Old February 10 2012, 01:24 AM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It seems that they've already settled on calling it Space: 2099, which I think is good. Keeping the Eagles and Moonbase Alpha would also be good.

But I'd wouldn't cry if they ditch the Moon being blasted out of Earth orbit at lightspeed velocities and falling into a nearby black hole thing...
Old February 10 2012, 01:26 AM   #7
MANT!
Rear Admiral

The earlier Space 2099 effects update proposal mentioned a wormhole created by the massive nuclear/magnetic explosion from the waste dumps
Old February 10 2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If the Moon leaves Earth's orbit, I'd be more interested in seeing the effects on Earth, which of course would be catastrophic. That probably was not something they realized when the original series was produced.
Old February 10 2012, 01:43 AM   #9
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

^They realized it, and simply ignored it, along with all the other nonsensities of science necessitated by the premise.
Old February 10 2012, 01:44 AM   #10
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Hmm... One remains cautiously optimistic, but we're already lived through one disastrous reboot of the concept. I'm not sure my nerves could take any more. If the Moon isn't sent off on its odyssey, then I can't see what the point is. The journey is the story.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:44 AM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^
That's some pretty impressive work in the video, there.

Hmm... One remains cautiously optimistic, but we're already lived through one disastrous reboot of the concept. I'm not sure my nerves could take any more. If the Moon isn't sent off on its odyssey, then I can't see what the point is. The journey is the story.
Which reboot was that?

As for the moon staying put - there's more than one sort of journey that the characters can be set off upon.
Old February 10 2012, 01:49 AM   #12
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

I would enjoy watching an updated version of the Season 1 episode "Dragon's Domain" . Although I don't know who they would cast in the "seasoned astronaut Toni Cellini" role.

An updated version of the Season 1 episode "War Games" would be nice too.

As for the moon leaving Earth orbit, what about a large rogue planet (or small black hole) passing close enough to disrupt Earth's orbit around the sun and the moon's orbit around Earth? Then have the moon pass through a black hole like they did in the Season 1 episode "Black Sun". That would at least get the moon out of our solar system quickly and in another part of the galaxy or in another galaxy.

I don't know how they would explain the moon traveling great distances to other star systems between episodes though.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; February 10 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Which reboot was that?
That would be the second series, 1976-1977.

As for the moon staying put - there's more than one sort of journey that the characters can be set off upon.
The story of the humans fulfilling a new destiny as they move out into the universe is what the series is all about. Take that away, and what's the point of trading on the name of the original series? You might as well call it something else.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Lost in Space probably would be a better target for revival - that one could go either lightweight or serious, and there's nothing inherently ridiculous about the setup.
I've often thought of ideas for a new Lost in Space series. One thing I know is, it wouldn't be as campy as the original, but still maintain a fun action-adventure vibe.

Re: Space: 1999 revival- One idea I've heard over the years, and that would be the least scientifically ludicrous, could be that the Moon is broken up by whatever, and the piece with Moonbase Alpha on it is the part of the Moon that goes hurtling off into space. That's an idea I can get behind.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 02:05 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The name might be the only worthwhile thing to come out of the series. ( okay, the ships were pretty cool).
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote