RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,172
Posts: 5,344,960
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 518
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 2 2012, 05:53 PM   #181
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

No. Beverley rejected Odan because she didn't think she could handle the Trill worm moving to potentially a series of humanoid bodies. The fact that this version of Odan host was female was not the issue.
But there is disappointment in Crusher's voice as she deals with the new host and she didn't have any problem jumping from Odan to Riker...

The safest thing to say about humans in Trek is that being gay seems to have been bred out of the species. Whether it was Roddenberry, Berman or Abrams there is an absolute absence of gay people in Star Trek from 1964 to 2009. Which is a shame.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:16 PM   #182
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

For me, the two best written romances in Trek, are two that didn't have a happy ending. Kira and Odo and The EMH and Seven. Those romances were both very beautiful and very believable, but, Odo had to leave, and for some unfathomable reason, Voyager PTB hooked Seven up with Chakotay

Yea, a Gay couple should be no different to write for then a straight couple, you don't need the swishy limp wristed stereotype, they don't need to be stereotypically slutty. You just show a couple holding hands, living together, talking about the issues of the day, romantic glances, sweet touching, etc, just like a straight couple, except, with only a single gender, rather than one of each gender
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:22 PM   #183
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

I didn't think there was any sexual chemistry between Kira and Odo. Yes it was very believable when he was in love with her and she was oblivious. They should have just left it at that and it would have been very grown-up. I'm sorry but that famous kiss on the promenade was just ewwww.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:29 PM   #184
nightwind1
Commodore
 
nightwind1's Avatar
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Sci wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Garak was gay. Bashir didn't really seem to be.
Speak for yourself. I'm convinced Julian and Miles had more going on than we the audience ever saw.
They sure did spend a lot of time alone together in the holosuite.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:50 PM   #185
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I didn't think there was any sexual chemistry between Kira and Odo. Yes it was very believable when he was in love with her and she was oblivious. They should have just left it at that and it would have been very grown-up. I'm sorry but that famous kiss on the promenade was just ewwww.
I thought it was very romantic, the way they were always grinning like Cheshire cats, and touching each other sweetly, the sheer ecstacy on Kira's face when he went all colorful like a Rainbow, after going through the motions of melding with her
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:54 PM   #186
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain
 
Miss Lemon's Avatar
 
Location: Miss Lemon is chasing dwarves in Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Sindatur wrote: View Post
For me, the two best written romances in Trek, are two that didn't have a happy ending. Kira and Odo and The EMH and Seven.
These "romances" were very beautiful and believable because they didn't have a happy ending.

I just wished they had kept the love between Kira and Odo one-sided as well. I agree with Deckerd, no sexual tension there.
__________________
Loyalty, honor and a willing heart... I can ask no more than that - Thorin Oakenshield

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 06:54 PM   #187
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain
 
Nightdiamond's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
The Host dealt with a response from Beverly, who rejected her lover because its new host was female.
No. Beverley rejected Odan because she didn't think she could handle the Trill worm moving to potentially a series of humanoid bodies. The fact that this version of Odan host was female was not the issue.
When Worf announced the new host arrived, she said, 'send him in'.

She expected a male and she seemed to be smiling at first and then looked disappointed upon seeing it was a female.

I don't think it was an episode about homophobia, more about love surviving changes.

But you see a subtle example of sexual preference, although she doesn't just come out and say it. Which was perfectly fine, and yet maybe part of the problem too.

Topics like that are strictly avoided on screen in Trek world, so some fans get different interpretations from scenes like that, IMO.

Last edited by Nightdiamond; April 3 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 07:12 PM   #188
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
For me, the two best written romances in Trek, are two that didn't have a happy ending. Kira and Odo and The EMH and Seven.
These "romances" were very beautiful and believable because they didn't have a happy ending.

I just wished they had kept the love between Kira and Odo one-sided as well. I agree with Deckerd, no sexual tension there.
Heh, you mean like with Bareil or Shaka'ar, nothing there either, and no romantic scenes to boot
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 10:02 PM   #189
DAYoung
Commander
 
DAYoung's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, AUS
View DAYoung's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
DAYoung wrote: View Post
Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
I can see your point and I partly agree, but the fact is that the writers did manage to depict wonderful, believable friendships that slowly developed over time.
Absolutely. In fact, I think I said that earlier.
I noticed, but refuting your argument with your own quote didn't seem the polite thing to do.
How exactly is it a refutation? Can you step me through the argument?
__________________
philosopher & author
www.damonyoung.com.au
Out December 2012: Philosophy in the Garden
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 11:50 PM   #190
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
For me, the two best written romances in Trek, are two that didn't have a happy ending. Kira and Odo and The EMH and Seven.
These "romances" were very beautiful and believable because they didn't have a happy ending.

I just wished they had kept the love between Kira and Odo one-sided as well. I agree with Deckerd, no sexual tension there.
Heh, you mean like with Bareil or Shaka'ar, nothing there either, and no romantic scenes to boot
Maybe it's just Kira

I never liked the Kira and Odo thing at all. I had trouble believing it from Kira's side but that may be a personal aversion to Odo on my part. His infatuation however was very well done and believable.

After a few rewatchings I've warmed to the relationship, but I think that's from liking both characters a lot more than initially.

I came across a vid the other day which was Jadzia/Kira and it was rather heart warming. Not a pairing I'd ever thought about before but watching it I'm thinking, wow now these two have chemistry. A lot more chemistry in the friendship than Kira had with her Bajoran lovers.

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 12:42 AM   #191
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

I actually thought his relationship with Lwaxana was chugging along nicely. I could have lived with a lot more scenes between those two - although I'm not sure that a sex scene should EVER have been among them...
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 06:57 AM   #192
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

teacake wrote: View Post
I came across a vid the other day which was Jadzia/Kira and it was rather heart warming. Not a pairing I'd ever thought about before but watching it I'm thinking, wow now these two have chemistry. A lot more chemistry in the friendship than Kira had with her Bajoran lovers.
Nice video. I never realised how much chemistry the two of them had. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 08:02 AM   #193
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain
 
Miss Lemon's Avatar
 
Location: Miss Lemon is chasing dwarves in Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

DAYoung wrote: View Post
How exactly is it a refutation? Can you step me through the argument?
Uhm, I'm a secretary, not a philosopher.

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I actually thought his relationship with Lwaxana was chugging along nicely. I could have lived with a lot more scenes between those two - although I'm not sure that a sex scene should EVER have been among them...
I agree, they were great together.

teacake wrote: View Post
I came across a vid the other day which was Jadzia/Kira and it was rather heart warming.
Thanks! My two favourite Trek Ladies.
__________________
Loyalty, honor and a willing heart... I can ask no more than that - Thorin Oakenshield

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 08:37 AM   #194
DAYoung
Commander
 
DAYoung's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, AUS
View DAYoung's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
Uhm, I'm a secretary, not a philosopher.
__________________
philosopher & author
www.damonyoung.com.au
Out December 2012: Philosophy in the Garden
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 11:30 AM   #195
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I actually thought his relationship with Lwaxana was chugging along nicely. I could have lived with a lot more scenes between those two - although I'm not sure that a sex scene should EVER have been among them...
I agree, now that was a relationship that was very believable from both sides! Lwaxana is really moved by Odo's plight and challenges and she does so love to be the source of succor. I thought it was very lovely and if we had gotten Lwaxana as a regular guest star I would have been ecstatic.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
gay, sulu

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.