Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2012, 09:37 PM   #121
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Saul wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Looks like Iron Man had sex with Batman.
I thought the same thing when I saw that picture.
Couldn't they have stuck a little blue in there. Jez.
Definitely needs some color. Are those test shots or the final thing?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 10:06 PM   #122
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Since it's based on the Iron Man and Batman suits, he also looks just like a man wearing an armor suit, and not like a man integrated into robot.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 10:27 PM   #123
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Since it's based on the Iron Man and Batman suits, he also looks just like a man wearing an armor suit, and not like a man integrated into robot.
To be fair, the original Robocop doesn't look like a cyborg either, unless you take the helmet off.

That said, this is just one of many iterations of the suit, assuming that the leaks are true. We might get something that looks a lot closer to the original in terms of color by the end of the film.
Old September 15 2012, 11:13 PM   #124
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

This is supposed to be his "Swat mode"

Robocop 1.0: looks like the original suit, but is turned down, because in the script, a test study with criminals make fun of it and say it looks silly. They even sarcastically reference Eddie Yang(the guy who designed Iron Man in the movies).

Robocop 2.0: Looks similar to the 1.0 variation with minor tweeks, but his armor is tinted green.

Robocop 3.0: Is still similar to the others, but his armor is now black, and has a big OCP sign on its back.

Robocop 4.0: This suit can now change colors. It has a civilian mode that makes him look like a cop in a blue uniform. When he sense danger, he'll go into "intimidation mode", and his suit changes colors to all black and looks like a SWAT uniform.
Old September 15 2012, 11:52 PM   #125
Beagleman
Captain

Seriously, I can't take fanboys any less seriously anymore as normaly (doesen't necessarily mean any of you guys but what I've read on the net). It just looks like an updated version of the original... what it is supposed to be. Don't like it, watch the original, it won't change. I'm sick and tired of people dumping on a re-imagination of something just because they want it to be the same. Be happy that something you like will live on. Without change it wouldn't. Simple fact of life.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 12:03 AM   #126
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Beagleman wrote: View Post
Seriously, I can't take fanboys any less seriously anymore as normaly (doesen't necessarily mean any of you guys but what I've read on the net). It just looks like an updated version of the original... what it is supposed to be. Don't like it, watch the original, it won't change. I'm sick and tired of people dumping on a re-imagination of something just because they want it to be the same. Be happy that something you like will live on. Without change it wouldn't. Simple fact of life.
I don't think change is the problem, here.

I think they changed it into the most generic looking video game armour I see when playing Crysis and Mass Effect.

If you're going to update it, then UPDATE it. Make something fresh and new, like the way the original looked at the time. This design looks lazy to me and brings nothing new or exciting to the table.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 12:40 AM   #127
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Beagleman wrote: View Post
I don't think change is the problem, here.

I think they changed it into the most generic looking video game armour I see when playing Crysis and Mass Effect.

If you're going to update it, then UPDATE it. Make something fresh and new, like the way the original looked at the time. This design looks lazy to me and brings nothing new or exciting to the table.
This is an excellent response. I too, don't mind change. But I DO want to see something... new? Different? Not something safe, and this feels SAFE.
Old September 16 2012, 01:20 AM   #128
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
This is an excellent response. I too, don't mind change. But I DO want to see something... new? Different? Not something safe, and this feels SAFE.
Perfect answer. If this was, what, 2003, I'd say it was different and new. But in 2013 when it'll be out, it'll look like a 'been there done that' feel. Make it new style or dont make it at all.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 05:54 AM   #129
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

More of the rumored script

That focus group with criminals is still in this rumored description.

Early script reports had Robocop being outsourced to China. Looks like they send him there for training.
Old September 16 2012, 01:34 PM   #130
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
To be fair, the original Robocop doesn't look like a cyborg either, unless you take the helmet off.

That said, this is just one of many iterations of the suit, assuming that the leaks are true. We might get something that looks a lot closer to the original in terms of color by the end of the film.
http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGalle..._RoboCop_2.jpg

Well I thought that was how he actually looks like in the film when he takes the helmet off.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:09 PM   #131
Lonemagpie
Writer

Costume looks crap, storyline utterly meh. Why didn't they just call it something else and let everyone assume they were ripping off Marvel movies.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 11:14 PM   #132
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I think it looks fine, honestly -- maybe even good. I have no idea how it's going to be presented in the movie, but that looks exactly like something that a modern-day mega-sized corporation would build if they designed a robot cop through focus groups.

Him looking like something out of a super hero movie is actually rather perfect, because that would be the easiest way to sell him to the public. Think about it: Would you rather the public view your company's new crime against nature, complete with military-grade weaponry, as a walking murder machine, or as a super hero? One is something that could generate the wrong kind of publicity, while with the other you can develop a successful brand with all kinds of merchandise opportunities.

I'm glad that this production seems to be doing something different with the concept. This definitely feels like they're trying to capture the point of RoboCop, rather than just lazily copying the style that worked in the '80s. There's no reason to produce a 1:1 remake of the original with more advanced special effects; we have the original film for that. We are three decades removed from the 1980s, and the Cold War and War on Drugs are more or less over, won by capitalism and gangsters, respectively. The film won't work if it doesn't adjust the aesthetic and story.

Padilha is easily one of my favorite directors working today, so I'll wait and see some actual footage before I start running for the hills and screaming bloody murder.

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGalle..._RoboCop_2.jpg

Well I thought that was how he actually looks like in the film when he takes the helmet off.
He's stepping out of his trailer between shots, that's clearly not the helmet-less makeup. Peter Weller wasn't wearing the third-act makeup underneath the helmet on the original film, either:

Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 02:55 AM   #133
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Cop cars and police bike.

Futuristic station wagon/ Heavily modified Lincoln .

Abbie Cornish playing Alex Murphy's wife

Old September 17 2012, 03:11 AM   #134
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Is that car a Taurus?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 05:10 PM   #135
davejames
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
This is supposed to be his "Swat mode"

Robocop 1.0: looks like the original suit, but is turned down, because in the script, a test study with criminals make fun of it and say it looks silly. They even sarcastically reference Eddie Yang(the guy who designed Iron Man in the movies).

Robocop 2.0: Looks similar to the 1.0 variation with minor tweeks, but his armor is tinted green.

Robocop 3.0: Is still similar to the others, but his armor is now black, and has a big OCP sign on its back.

Robocop 4.0: This suit can now change colors. It has a civilian mode that makes him look like a cop in a blue uniform. When he sense danger, he'll go into "intimidation mode", and his suit changes colors to all black and looks like a SWAT uniform.
Having an "intimidation mode" makes some kind of sense, I guess, but all the other stuff just seems so unnecessary. Is there any reason we really NEED to see him in a bunch of different armors and colors over the course of the film?

What the heck does that have to do with character or story?
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote