Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 17 2014, 02:10 AM   #406
Aldo
Admiral

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I liked the movie but I didn't love love it. It opened very strongly, and looked to be very interesting by making it be about unmanned drone ethics... but then they spent an inordinate amount of time on his recovery... it needed more big action scenes. The only really standout sequence was when he took on 3 ED-209s at once. I really don't understand how this movie cost $100 million when there's so little action in it.
It needed a "Robocop's first few missions sequence" much like the original had.

There's a moment where Sam Jackson's reporter character is talking up Robocop, and the theme starts building up, I really thought this would lead to a montage of sorts of Robocop doing Robocop things (taking down muggers, convenience store robbers, etc.).

Nope, after the theme kicks in, Sam Jackson talks some more, and then we cut back to Robocop in a lab or something dull.
Old February 17 2014, 02:19 AM   #407
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, there was a good sequence of that in the original of Robocop doing things. Even when it arrested one of the main villains at the gas station that was still fairly a "regular duty" type mission, even if he was on the trail of his own murder.

The only "ordinary" work he did was the one at his unveiling showing how effective he would be at doing his job. Then that's it. And was Sam Jackson's show simply about him yelling about America needing robots?
Old February 17 2014, 02:46 AM   #408
Aldo
Admiral

I think the Sam Jackson character was an attempt to take a jab at political commentators, but it didn't seem very well thought out...like most of the movie.

In fact, I know this movie went through several rewrites before becoming the movie we are seeing at theaters. Perhaps in an earlier draft the satire made more sense?
Old February 17 2014, 02:46 AM   #409
theenglish
Rear Admiral

In the original, this sequence was basically a parody of Superman the Movie. Would there be an equivalent in modern movies to parody?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 02:48 AM   #410
Aldo
Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
In the original, this sequence was basically a parody of Superman the Movie. Would there be an equivalent in modern movies to parody?
The similar sequence from 'Superman: Returns?'
Old February 17 2014, 03:27 AM   #411
Mr Light
Admiral

I just saw the original Robocop for the first time since I was a kid; after having seen the remake. And I have to admit the original is better. It moves a lot faster and has a lot more action in it. And it has the ED-209s in it, too! I could have sworn that was something introduced in the sequel.

As others have said, the original did a good job of showing a bunch of day in the life action sequences. Also, it didn't spend 45 minutes of misery and recuperation for Murphy...

I especially loved when Robocop defeats the ED-209 by running down a flight of stairs which it trips and falls over

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 03:30 AM   #412
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

And it has the ED-209s in it, too! I could have sworn that was something introduced in the sequel.
You may be thinking of Robocop Mark II, aka RoboCain.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 03:34 AM   #413
Aldo
Admiral

As others have said, the original did a good job of showing a bunch of day in the life action sequences. Also, it didn't spend 45 minutes of misery and recuperation for Murphy...
I know the remake should be judged as it's own film and not compared too much to the original. But all through Murphy's recuperation (was it really 45 minutes!?) I couldn't help thinking that Murphy became Robocop pretty much ten minutes after we saw him blown away by Boddicker and his crew.
Old February 17 2014, 03:43 AM   #414
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I think the Sam Jackson character was an attempt to take a jab at political commentators, but it didn't seem very well thought out...like most of the movie.
Oh, I know what it was a jab at but, like you said, it didn't come across well. It also was likely this movie's equivalent of the news/TV segments. But it needed more topics to sell that idea and give us a feel for the "character" a bit more than him always ranting about America needing robots.
Old February 17 2014, 03:51 AM   #415
Aldo
Admiral

Speaking of the whole "America outraged that Robocop was around..." That was another angle that went nowhere. To be perfectly honest I didn't care one way or another if the Senate voted to repeal that act or not. Again, just like the news program in this thing, the whole public outrage over robots was not really expanded much upon.
Old February 17 2014, 04:46 AM   #416
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, that didn't seem developed much either. I think we saw "glimpses" of that with the protest signs in front of the police station and stuff but, yeah, it did seem like some ideas or plot threads weren't developed very much. Again, way too much time spent on his rehabilitation/"learning his powers" that should have been spent on plot lines like that.

Again, the villains in the movie weren't even that big of a deal. That was their whole game? To get Congress to overturn a bill so they can sell robots in America? I mean.... huh? When the bill was overturned I was half expecting Detroit to go into a police-state coup run by OCP with the ED-209 and full-droids dong the whole thing they were doing in Afghanistan and Robocop was going to have to prevent or stop it.

But, nope. It was just all about a company scheming to sell more product.
Old February 17 2014, 05:00 AM   #417
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Something from Avengers or Iron Man or the Nolan Batman movies?
Old February 17 2014, 06:07 AM   #418
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I'm glad the movie spent time on his recovery, family life and what went into making a man a cyborg. I wouldn't have wanted all that glossed over so we could get more action. We got that too and I thought it was adequate. How much shooting and crime-fighting does a movie need?

And the ED-209s were called EM-208s here.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 06:52 PM   #419
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think the ED-209s are the same, the EM-208s are the humanoid soldier ones.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 07:05 PM   #420
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Looks like you're right. I think I made that mistake because I saw an ED-209 on the screen at the same time "EM-208" was said in the voice over.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote