The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 7 2013, 05:11 PM   #271
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

All he needs is a cowardly lion looking for courage.
Old September 7 2013, 05:13 PM   #272
Leroy
Fleet Captain

To the people complaining that the new Robocop looks too much like a guy in a suit, I think that's what it is for the most part this time around. Going by what's seen and heard in the trailer the scientists decided to salvage more organic components, I'm guessing his head, torso, and right arm, were permanently grafted into a robotic exoskeleton. I'm also guessing they ditched the remaining leg based on comments of paralysis and the fact that it would be much easier to have two robotic legs working together as opposed to fixing an injured leg and having that work with a robotic replacement.

Whereas the original Robocop was just a brain in a robot body, (whether or not his eyes, face, and parts of his skull are organic is up for debate).

I'd say worst case scenario is that it ends up another summer action/superhero movie and lacks the depth found in the first film, but I can't tell that based on a trailer. Robocop has been a franchise ever since the first cartoon was made, if the producers said that this was just more Robocop set in a different continuity as opposed to a reboot they might have less of an uphill battle trying to sell this thing. I also can't imagine this movie being any worse than the awful third movie.

Last edited by Leroy; September 7 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:55 PM   #273
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Not including this new reboot, to me, the whole Robocop "franchise" begins and ends with the 1987 film. Everything else was just garbage.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 07:07 PM   #274
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm not too familiar with Robocop, but the latest railer looked cool. Its definately a movie I'd want to see.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 07:37 PM   #275
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
This new film makes it look like he's still like 80% organic, whereas the original was probably just a brain, the front of his skull along with what's left of his face and probably a spinal cord. Also, the original made a big thing of him slowly reclaiming his lost humanity--that's half the point of the story--but here it looks like it's the other way around. As in he starts out himself but finds the machine is gradually taking over.

There is no spinal cord

The face has also been debated back and forth as just as lab created one too.

So brain and probably just a heart.
I always took it he was, essentially, a brain inside a robot that they just plastered his face onto. That's why he needs such meager nutritional intake he only needs to maintain his brain and some skin. At the very most all he is is a skull/head. Otherwise his entire body is robotic.
Old September 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #276
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And what does any of this change about the point that original robocop looks like an artificially enhanced human while the new robocop looks like a man in a suit?
Well. Everything. Since you said the first was a robot, and NOT an artificially enhanced human.
I then said his skull is artificial, his face is left. That was the whole point. The make up in the original took away from the human skull, the new make up makes it look just like a head inside a helmet. The silly robot/cyborg semantics was never the point.
I'm sure in your mind you thought you were being clear. But you said only the face was left and he's a robot. Two incorrect things.

Arguing for arguing's sake are we?
No. Either you weren't being clear or you were wrong. You can pick.
Old September 7 2013, 08:16 PM   #277
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I always took it he was, essentially, a brain inside a robot that they just plastered his face onto. That's why he needs such meager nutritional intake he only needs to maintain his brain and some skin. At the very most all he is is a skull/head. Otherwise his entire body is robotic.
How would he have felt pain when Boddicker stabbed him in the chest?

I believe part 1 he had some internal organs

Before part 2 they probably "upgraded" him and took out some organic material.

Here's a cross section of what people assume robocop looks like on the outside

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 08:46 PM   #278
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
How would he have felt pain when Boddicker stabbed him in the chest?
Who says he "felt pain" if he's an effective machine pain shouldn't be a process he's capable of. That'd be inefficient for a machine. It's possible in "reaction" he had to being stabbed was due to internal machinery/components being damaged and he was reacting to that but I doubt it was, strictly speaking, "pain."

It was sort of Robocop's "Check Engine" light coming on.

One thing I never got, and this is a trope in all cyborg movies, is why he needs a HUD/GUI. We know it's not part of the visor as we see him with it when he loses the helmet so it's something being projected into his vision (which we're shown is a graphical representation of the world that can be scrambled and pixelated further suggesting he doesn't strictly have "eyes" so much as he has "vision processing." and his physical eyes are just more of the "make him look human as possible" thing.

But anyway, the HUD he has (along with the HUD/GUI the Terminators have in those movies) seems redundant for a machine that can "think" these things and already know them. Does Robocop with a computer memory and such really need a visual reminder in his "vision" on what his directives are?

Obviously not since the fourth one impacted his decision making without him knowing it. Same thing with things like the playback, he shouldn't need to see a video of this and just be able to "know" it or think it anytime he wants.

Again, this is a common trope in movies with characters like this but it doesnt make sense. Same deal with "Terminator" where we see a visual interface which, logically, they wouldn't need. Anymore than my CPU needs a monitor inside of it to see what's on my screen in order to know what's going on inside the active memory.
Old September 7 2013, 09:10 PM   #279
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Ethros wrote:
Not including this new reboot, to me, the whole Robocop "franchise" begins and ends with the 1987 film. Everything else was just garbage.
I take it you don't care much for Alpha Commando then?

Trekker4747 wrote:
One thing I never got, and this is a trope in all cyborg movies, is why he needs a HUD/GUI.
I think it's for the audience if nothing else, to show there something more advanced and superhuman going on with the characters abilities, even though it doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:10 PM   #280
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

You're being too literal with the HUD, it's just shorthand to show the viewer the targeting systems and computer processing visually without having to further explain it through exposition. Like I'm sure Terminators can see colors other than red.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:17 PM   #281
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Again, Robocop is not SWAT, he's not a ninja and he's not an assassin. He rolls up, gets everyone's attention and either intimidates perps into submission or blows them away. He's not hopping off walls and getting into Matrix kung-fu fights. And the end of argument concerning the black armor: nuRobocop's eyeline GLOWS RED. Glowing =/= stealthy. Either make him actually stealthy (which is stupid to do with a giant man-robot) or don't bother.

Better yet, the filmmakers should have come up with their OWN idea of technology encroaching on man and government/corporate corruption and not called it Robocop. Then there would only be a comparison between the two and not inbuilt expectations.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:17 PM   #282
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Leroy wrote: View Post
I think it's for the audience if nothing else, to show there something more advanced and superhuman going on with the characters abilities, even though it doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint.
Well, obviously it's for the audience but it's implied its how the system operates which doesn't make sense.
Old September 7 2013, 11:44 PM   #283
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised there's debate about the original Robocop's design...it's clear from the first film that they "lost" almost all the organic parts. Basically the head and brain are all that are left.

Secondly, what happened in that movie has little bearing in this one, so the arguments about what's "proper" Robocop are moot, since this is a new incarnation. This point reminds me of the endless comments about what was proper for Khan in TOS/TWOK, when STID was a new reality..

RAMA
Old September 7 2013, 11:47 PM   #284
Gojira
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
I never got beyond the first movie either. I did try though. I am looking forward to seeing this though. I do like the new suit and I am curious to se what they will do with this movie.

Last edited by Gojira; September 8 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:49 PM   #285
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote:
I take it you don't care much for Alpha Commando then?
Had to look that up, I remember watching a few eps of the animated series as a kid but not that one I don't think. Why, was it really bad?
A cheap cartoon cash in hardly counts as part of the franchise anyway, I don't think many fans of say Back to the Future, Bill & Ted, Dumb & Dumber, Ace Ventura etc take those cartoons to be "canon"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote