RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,891
Posts: 5,476,521
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 538
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 6 2013, 02:40 AM   #226
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Is it supposed to take place in Los Angeles?

I think it looks cheap.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 02:48 AM   #227
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

JD wrote: View Post
It doesn't look like the total disaster I was expecting..... in fact it looks like it could be good. Was the whole thing with him overcoming the control of robot part of himself in the original? I haven't watched it in ages, so I only have a few vague memories of it.
Only towards the end, when he tried to arrest Dick Jones and OCP's programming tried to take over.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:07 AM   #228
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

The black suit looks better, definitely more sensible and "tactical". This trailer looks good. I think I took back my original complaints about a remake after the concept art surfaced, and I think I'll re-iterate that.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:17 AM   #229
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

I have to say that does look better than I thought it would (to echo other sentiments here). I think he looks too clean, he doesn't look like a cyborg but a man in a suit, even when he has his "visor" down.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:39 AM   #230
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore
 
Base_Delta_Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Meh, the black looks dumb. Robocop is a walking tank, not a roboninja. And the glowing red visor, which looks stupid and cliche all on its own, also completely negates any tactical stealth the black suit might give him.

"Where do we shoot him?"

"Aim just below the red line!"

Also, did the re-makers not catch the oh-so-subtle satire of the original? It's like they cast around for yet another tortured "superhero" to make into a super-serious summer action movie and someone saw the Robocop DVD gathering dust on a producer's movie shelf and said, "There's our next fast cash grab, gentlemen! Make that, but with more flash and tacticool gadgetry and 'splosions! No, no, no, don't watch it. Just print off a description from wkipedia or something to get the barest idea of a plot and roll with it."
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:06 AM   #231
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Aldo wrote: View Post
I have to say that does look better than I thought it would (to echo other sentiments here). I think he looks too clean, he doesn't look like a cyborg but a man in a suit, even when he has his "visor" down.
I think the robotic voice helps sell the illusion pretty well, especially when paired with more robotic looking suit.

But then once he changes to black it suddenly looks less like a cyborg and more like just a guy wearing Batman armor.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:46 AM   #232
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post

Also, did the re-makers not catch the oh-so-subtle satire of the original?
Though, if you are going to remake something, why remake it exactly as the original? What's the point?

Perhaps they are going after something different.

(Though a cash grab isn't beyond reason. But, then Hollywood wants to make LOTS of money, not a little money. It is, after all, Show BUSINESS.)
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:58 AM   #233
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

So, in this one he's fully aware of who he is right from the beginning instead of regaining his memories as time goes on? That might be interesting.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:26 AM   #234
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Anwar wrote: View Post
So, in this one he's fully aware of who he is right from the beginning instead of regaining his memories as time goes on? That might be interesting.

Correct. Omnicorp slowly strips away his humanity/rights until he's fully under their control.

The reverse of the first movie


I watched the trailer. It lacks the edginess and dirty look of the original





It's a guy in a suit




Look at the all the harsh detailing


Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:29 AM   #235
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Meh, the black looks dumb. Robocop is a walking tank, not a roboninja. And the glowing red visor, which looks stupid and cliche all on its own, also completely negates any tactical stealth the black suit might give him.

"Where do we shoot him?"

"Aim just below the red line!"

Also, did the re-makers not catch the oh-so-subtle satire of the original? It's like they cast around for yet another tortured "superhero" to make into a super-serious summer action movie and someone saw the Robocop DVD gathering dust on a producer's movie shelf and said, "There's our next fast cash grab, gentlemen! Make that, but with more flash and tacticool gadgetry and 'splosions! No, no, no, don't watch it. Just print off a description from wkipedia or something to get the barest idea of a plot and roll with it."
Remaking a classic movie aside what do you expect? A scene for scene copy of the original movie with modern set design and special effects?

Might as well watch the original then as good as it is.

You haven't seen the movie yet but you claim it will be shit and it's only a money grab (the second part is hard to argue, i think so too). The first one's satire was on the nose, it basically grabbed you by the neck and pushed you down into it (the same as with Starship Troopers). If they have social commentary in the movie maybe it will be different, who knows?

The trailer looked promising (much more so than the concept art) but i've been burned bad by trailers before (looking at you George and the PT trilogy) so as with every movie i'm adopting a wait and see stance.

However after this trailer i'll be definitely checking out the movie.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:34 AM   #236
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

davejames wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
I have to say that does look better than I thought it would (to echo other sentiments here). I think he looks too clean, he doesn't look like a cyborg but a man in a suit, even when he has his "visor" down.
I think the robotic voice helps sell the illusion pretty well, especially when paired with more robotic looking suit.

But then once he changes to black it suddenly looks less like a cyborg and more like just a guy wearing Batman armor.
That's because we are conditioned to expect the future to be shiny...
All thanks to the SciFi writers and movies and tv-shows from the 60's and 70's...
Robocop and ED-209 are militairy tools and the armed forces/law-enforcement don't have shiny vehicles/tools because that would make them easy shiny targets...
Same goes for the Robocop's colouring in this movie...
__________________
"ER...HO. HO. HO."

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 10:41 AM   #237
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Had to go watch this afterwards just to cheer myself up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3W5HUz7vyY


Meh what's the point? I know it won't be terrible, and will no doubt he halfway watchable but is it gonna be anywhere near as good as the original, no.
Its just Total Recall 2 basically. A film that a year on I can honestly barely even remember
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 12:45 PM   #238
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

With the original film, the story wasn't the story.. it was formulaic version of Frankenstein when all was said and done. What made the film the classic that it is - what gave it it's real story - was it's satire, and how it's over-the-top violence played into that. There are few funnier scenes in a movie than the awkward "someone want to call a paramedic" pause after ED-209 takes out a hapless volunteer. The film pushed the "normal" into the absurd world one shove at a time. We've all kind of now how business meeting demonstrations are supposed to go, and can't help but be transported with all our facilities intact when that demonstration happens, and, though it ends with unpredictable results, we still would probably ask where the paramedics were. It's the same with the entire film, with rookie cop, and it's partner and it's formulaic plot, we know where it's going, but Verhoven constantly pushed constatly pushed us further into this ultra violent, almost-serious worl that is both exatly what we expect but less where we feel comfortable the entire time the movie is playing. It has it's share of completely human awkward moments that make it feel so real to us (like the guy who "knocks ghim self out" on the baby-food-like sustenance, or the guys who half-can't them back in-restroom scene when Dick Jones comes in, the film plays with just over the line of decency at every moment. Verhoven knew that the point of his film was not really the story, it was the satire, and the examination of human nature, that would make it work. The story of RoboCop is, without that edge, fairly standard sci-fi tripe. Hence, the fate of the new movie.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 01:54 PM   #239
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
So, in this one he's fully aware of who he is right from the beginning instead of regaining his memories as time goes on? That might be interesting.

Correct. Omnicorp slowly strips away his humanity/rights until he's fully under their control.

The reverse of the first movie


I watched the trailer. It lacks the edginess and dirty look of the original





It's a guy in a suit




Look at the all the harsh detailing


Yeah that's what I noticed as soon as I saw the suit. The original robocop is a ROBOT. You can see that his skull is artificial, he only has his face left.

The new Robocop is a man in an armored suit.

I don't get this. In this day and age, they could have made the robotic aspect even more apparent, digitally removing bits and pieces and replacing them with mechanical parts.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 02:54 PM   #240
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

The FX in the trailer look good, but it isn't grabbing me. I'll go see it, but I got a feeling that it will be like the Total Recall remake. It'll look good, probably have good action, but will be a totally unneeded remake.
DarKush is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
robocop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.