Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 4 2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

EXCLUSIVE: MGM has closed its deal with Joel Kinnaman to play the title role in Robocop, the remake that is being directed by Jose Padilha, helmer of two action packed Elite Squad films. Strike Entertainment partners Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. Josh Zetumer wrote the script.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/told...n-for-robocop/

Wow, looks like they are really going to do this thing. If this ever gets sequels, let us hope they are much better than the original franchise sequels.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

I check it out if/when it's available, and judge it on it's own merits. The original, though, is one of my (and alot of peoples) all-time favorites.
Old March 4 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Lonemagpie
Writer

I've never heard of any of the people, companies or films mentioned in that piece!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 11:56 AM   #4
John Clark
Commodore

Joel Kinnaman is familiar to me (Darkest Hour and the US remake of The Killing).

I reckon our little group will probably go and see it
Old March 4 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I've never heard of any of the people, companies or films mentioned in that piece!
Apparently, director José Padilha is Brazilian and has only made Brazilian films so far. Most of them documentaries, actually. According to his IMDb profile he has also won a shipload of Latin American film awards.

Interesting choice to say the least. We don't really know what will come out of it, but it will most likely be better than a remake directed by Paul W. S. Anderson or Kurt Wimmer.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 06:15 PM   #6
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ugh. I'm not one of those who groans at every new remake that comes along, but the original Robocop is already about as PERFECT as it gets-- from the story to the characters to the edge, badass attitude (not to mention the incredible costume or the iconic theme music).

I don't see which of those things they could POSSIBLY improve, so why bother?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post

Interesting choice to say the least. We don't really know what will come out of it, but it will most likely be better than a remake directed by Paul W. S. Anderson or Kurt Wimmer.
Presumably Paul W.S Anderson didn't go for it because he couldn't figure out a way to make the entire film revolve around his wife.
Old March 4 2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Captain Mike
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Ugh. I'm not one of those who groans at every new remake that comes along, but the original Robocop is already about as PERFECT as it gets-- from the story to the characters to the edge, badass attitude (not to mention the incredible costume or the iconic theme music).

I don't see which of those things they could POSSIBLY improve, so why bother?
Because the studios know there will be dumbass people that will spend money over fist to see the thing....
Old March 4 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

These are in no way official, but this concept artist has played with some RoboCop designs.

A second pass at a redesign.
Old March 4 2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I am....unsure about this. I like the guy okay, but he doesn't strike me as Murphy or Robocop.
Old March 4 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Lonemagpie
Writer

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post

Presumably Paul W.S Anderson didn't go for it because he couldn't figure out a way to make the entire film revolve around his wife.
Though, oddly, a genderswapped Robo is the one thing that could really work, to the extent that verhoeven's movie seems to be setting that up as a sequel...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Aragorn
Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post

Milla Jovovich is RoboCop 3D

(This film has not been screened for critics)
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 10:13 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
I am....unsure about this. I like the guy okay, but he doesn't strike me as Murphy or Robocop.
But isn't that better than casting someone who's just a clone of Peter Weller? I mean, he might turn out crap but, equally, at least we'll get something different.

IIRC, I once read an interview with either Weller or Verhoeven, can't remember which one, but the gist of it was that Weller got the role because no-one else would take it!
Old March 4 2012, 10:16 PM   #14
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm just waiting for Robocop to look like some horrible over-designed Bayformer.
Old March 4 2012, 10:25 PM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
These are in no way official, but this concept artist has played with some RoboCop designs.

A second pass at a redesign.
The first design is pretty decent... even if it does make him look more like a Marvel superhero.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote