RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,063
Posts: 5,397,677
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 458
Newest member: phurren

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 6 2012, 02:54 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain
 
Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

If Star Trek does get a new show, what are some of the things this show would need to do and need to avoid?

I think a new Star Trek series would need some sort of serialized plot, most of the best TV shows out there are serialized and I think Star Trek would to do that to fit in with the expectations of today's audience.

Also I think there should be way less technobabble with this show, people want to see the heroes win because of intelligence, grit and determination, not have them spout science like non sense that let's them pull out some deus ex machnia.

Also this show needs to do something different from previous Star Trek shows, the last couple of Star trek shows felt like copies of TNG, rather then something new. TV has changed a lot since 1987, just copying the TNG formula doesn't work any more. Now this new show shouldn't be completely different from the previous, but it should have its own look and feel. There is no point of creating a new Star Trek show if its going to be another TNG clone.

Edit: Also stronger characters and characterization. Take advantage of an ensemble cast and don't have characters who are one dimensional and contribute nothing to the plot, like Harry Kim for example. Each character should contribute to the show and if a character is not working, kill that character off or write them out of the show. Also the characters should develop through out the series, not remain the same from the first episode to the last episode.

Last edited by The Overlord; January 6 2012 at 03:04 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

A new Star Trek show needs to go back to the 24th century and take off where TNG, DS9 and Voyager ended. No more recycling of Kirk, Spock and the other TOS characters. TOS was a great show. Let it rest in peace and create something new instead
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

A new Star Trek show needs to ignore us fans.

IGNORE US, SHOWRUNNERS, IGNORE US! WE'RE NOT HERE!
__________________
"What?" - { Emilia }
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Gothowitz
Lieutenant Commander
 
Gothowitz's Avatar
 
Location: At Walgreens in a state of fear
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
A new Star Trek show needs to ignore us fans.

IGNORE US, SHOWRUNNERS, IGNORE US! WE'RE NOT HERE!
I disagree.

Get input from the fans. Write everything said on a board.
Point to it and say "THIS is what we will not do".
Gothowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

What it needs to do is be a financial success. It could be 100% nothing any of us want and still sail along just fine.

What I'd like it to do is any or all of the below:

1. Return to the Space Cop idea of TOS. The Enterprise crew is supposed to be spending part of its time being the cop on the beat, patrolling the wild fringes of the Federation to chase away the Doomsday Machines and flying fried eggs, quelling insane asylum rebellions and outfoxing the Klingons with massive tribble infestations.

2. Go back to ENT and do it right: Birth of the Federation. No time travel booshwah.

3. Post-Dominion-War series. Okay I guess #2 and #3 are mutually incompatible. I think I like #1 best anyway.

However, I doubt that any of those ideas will be the financial success that we need on TV. Maybe if TNT picked them up...but more likely, it would need to be on FX, AMC, HBO or Showtime, and in that case, we're far more likely to get Justified in Space, which won't resemble what we're used to seeing, but could be awesome, as long as we're willing to expand our definition of Star Trek.

What should not happen: SyFy getting its mitts on Star Trek. They would just create something cheap and dumb. I'd rather see a premium cable channel shape Star Trek into something their audiences would like. I bet a lot of Trekkies would like it, too. The others can have fun complaining.

I think a new Star Trek series would need some sort of serialized plot, most of the best TV shows out there are serialized and I think Star Trek would to do that to fit in with the expectations of today's audience.
Every place I can envision Star Trek being a success on TV is also a place where all the dramas are serialized due to the expectations of the audience. So that's a given. If Star Trek gets back on TV, it can't be episodic. I doubt it can even be partly episodic. I wouldn't mind a mixed format at all, but it's more important that it fit into the ecosystem of wherever it's being shown so that audience won't reject it.

Same holds true for "not doing TNG over again," paying more attention to character arcs, etc. That's gotta happen in any case. Just look at shows like Justified, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc. The way to get Star Trek back on TV is to shoehorn it into that mold, and bring it up to the level of those shows. I don't think it's impossible in the least, but it's going to be a big departure from what we're used to.

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
A new Star Trek show needs to ignore us fans.

IGNORE US, SHOWRUNNERS, IGNORE US! WE'RE NOT HERE!
They need to ignore us and pay attention to the audience they need to cater to, namely, the audience of the channel where their show is appearing. There's no Star Trek Channel. Maybe some of us overlap into the relevant audience - I watch AMC and FX, but don't subscribe to Showtime or HBO for instance - but if they're on FX, they need to cater to the FX audience, etc. That is the audience who will make or break the show. Trekkies will watch in any case.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 01:41 AM   #6
indolover
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

Trek's problems are largely self-inflicted. Who else can be blamed apart from the production staff for Voyager's problems? I liked Voyager, it was a good show (not great like TNG/DS9) but as aforecited it was the production staff who were culpable. And Enterprise? Again, production staff, nobody else.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Killandra's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

I think the best thing they can do for any new series is to keep Berman and Braga as far from at is as possible. I may be in the minority here, but Star Trek definitely needs new blood in the creation department. Keep Michael Westmore however. But, could you image the aliens if Tom Savini was involved...?
__________________
"Listen to me very carefully because I'm only going to say this once. Coffee. Black."-Kathryn Janeway
Killandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 04:21 PM   #8
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

The problem was never Braga but his evil alter ego Berman being in charge. Braga should be the first person hired to a new Star Trek project assuming of course he is not allowed to take control which is a big assumption considering his credentials. He was one of the best things about Trek. Micheal Piller's open submission policy didn't hurt either. He generously brought in the likes of Hillery Bader and all the outside writers That made TNG great. DS9 closed their doors and we got refried Grillka and more Ferengi stories. Voyager had great episodic stories once again because Piller got out of his own way and wasn't a power hungry glory seeker like the rest of them, though unfortunately even Braga to a certain extent. Braga was the baby with the bathwater.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

The only thing a new Star Trek show really needs to do is capture a big enough audience that pleases the television studio or network that's airing it. That has less to do with premise and setting and more to do with the writing and casting, IMO.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

Killandra wrote: View Post
I think the best thing they can do for any new series is to keep Berman and Braga as far from at is as possible.
You'll definitely get your wish there. Why would CBS re-hire them for a new show? Most likely, a new show would happen if someone with serious clout (JJ Abrams, Bryan Fuller, Seth McFarlane, etc) makes a case for it, and comes up with a new approach that convinces CBS that the mistakes of the past won't be re-created.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

The Overlord wrote: View Post
If Star Trek does get a new show, what are some of the things this show would need to do and need to avoid?

I think a new Star Trek series would need some sort of serialized plot, most of the best TV shows out there are serialized and I think Star Trek would to do that to fit in with the expectations of today's audience.

Also I think there should be way less technobabble with this show, people want to see the heroes win because of intelligence, grit and determination, not have them spout science like non sense that let's them pull out some deus ex machnia.

Also this show needs to do something different from previous Star Trek shows, the last couple of Star trek shows felt like copies of TNG, rather then something new. TV has changed a lot since 1987, just copying the TNG formula doesn't work any more. Now this new show shouldn't be completely different from the previous, but it should have its own look and feel. There is no point of creating a new Star Trek show if its going to be another TNG clone.

Edit: Also stronger characters and characterization. Take advantage of an ensemble cast and don't have characters who are one dimensional and contribute nothing to the plot, like Harry Kim for example. Each character should contribute to the show and if a character is not working, kill that character off or write them out of the show. Also the characters should develop through out the series, not remain the same from the first episode to the last episode.
Sounds almost as if you are saying it should be a bit more like DSN.

I think most of us would agree they devopled there characters well, most contributed to the overall story in one or another. Whilst it did have its treknobabble moments they weren't as bad compared to the lies of VOY
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 12:04 AM   #12
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
If Star Trek does get a new show, what are some of the things this show would need to do and need to avoid?

I think a new Star Trek series would need some sort of serialized plot, most of the best TV shows out there are serialized and I think Star Trek would to do that to fit in with the expectations of today's audience.

Also I think there should be way less technobabble with this show, people want to see the heroes win because of intelligence, grit and determination, not have them spout science like non sense that let's them pull out some deus ex machnia.

Also this show needs to do something different from previous Star Trek shows, the last couple of Star trek shows felt like copies of TNG, rather then something new. TV has changed a lot since 1987, just copying the TNG formula doesn't work any more. Now this new show shouldn't be completely different from the previous, but it should have its own look and feel. There is no point of creating a new Star Trek show if its going to be another TNG clone.

Edit: Also stronger characters and characterization. Take advantage of an ensemble cast and don't have characters who are one dimensional and contribute nothing to the plot, like Harry Kim for example. Each character should contribute to the show and if a character is not working, kill that character off or write them out of the show. Also the characters should develop through out the series, not remain the same from the first episode to the last episode.
Sounds almost as if you are saying it should be a bit more like DSN.

I think most of us would agree they devopled there characters well, most contributed to the overall story in one or another. Whilst it did have its treknobabble moments they weren't as bad compared to the lies of VOY
DS9 fits in with modern TV conventions more then the other shows, though I think a modern Star Trek show should combine elements from TOS, TNG and DS9, while adding some new things in as well.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 12:31 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

Oh I agree, I think part of the problem with VOY and ENT is that they tried to be too much like TNG rather than trying something different.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 01:10 AM   #14
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The only thing a new Star Trek show really needs to do is capture a big enough audience that pleases the television studio or network that's airing it. That has less to do with premise and setting and more to do with the writing and casting, IMO.
Well thing is, I think the things I mentioned in my first post are necessary for a new Star Trek show to be a financial success and these things have to do with writing more then anything. A new Star Trek show should try to fit in with TV conventions of today, not the 60s or the 80s. I actually think this the golden age of television, on cable we have more quality TV now then in the past, but Star Trek to get in on this age it has to do something bold and not have the next show be another TNG clone.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 04:50 AM   #15
pengbuzz
Guest
 
Re: Things that need be done with a new Star Trek show

For what it is worth:

1) They should do their best to keep within an established continuity and keep discrepancies down to a reasonable minimum (after all, mistakes can and do happen).

2) Keep the premise (whatever they decide) simple and effective. Don't try to be all things to all audiences, but know what and who they are aiming for.

3) Chemistry: focus on a few characters and not an ensemble cast. otherwise it will get unwieldy.

4) Be fresh and use a new concept, as well as some new stories. We don't need a rehash of Kirk, nor do we need to see the revamped version of "Spock's brain".
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star trek, tv series

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.