Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 24 2012, 12:06 AM   #61
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Star Trek London

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
Chase Masterson's going to be at Greatest Show in May now as well.
Her and the rest of the world. It's all getting slightly silly.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 09:11 PM   #62
Saspearia
Lieutenant

View Saspearia's Twitter Profile

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Saspearia wrote: View Post
Hi Admiral Bear, Where did you hear that Media 10 were running this? I'm not sure this will be a convention as we know it (excuse the pun!). Mostly because CBS aren't in the business of supporting any of the big convention companies in promoting their events. If this is being paid for by CBS (and all the evidence so far says yes) then I would think it is some kind of promotion event for the movie.
The wording on the website says 'sign up to Starfleet' and I think it will continue with that theme somehow, tying it into the movies release next year.
I'm quite enjoying speculating about it though!
Just seen your video. You seemed to have no idea about doing a whois search before I told you about it. Some credit would've been nice instead of pretending you were the brains behind the whole idea.
Hi Admiral Bear

I did say in the video that it wasn't our idea and that it was from a fellow Trekkie. My apologies if I have offended, I should have checked with you first but I will happily name you as the source if you wish? Really didn't intend to steal the credit. Hope you understand.
Old March 29 2012, 01:41 PM   #63
Admiral Bear
Captain

Hi Admiral Bear

I did say in the video that it wasn't our idea and that it was from a fellow Trekkie. My apologies if I have offended, I should have checked with you first but I will happily name you as the source if you wish? Really didn't intend to steal the credit. Hope you understand.
I was joking, hence the use of . Don't have a sense of humour failure over it. Probably better if you didn't mention me anyway.
Old April 2 2012, 06:26 PM   #64
Admiral Bear
Captain

Rumours of an email being sent this week to those that have registered.

Last edited by Admiral Bear; April 2 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 4 2012, 07:58 PM   #65
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I got it today:

19th-21st October.

Meet stars, get autographs, pose for professional photos, see realistic sets, costumes and props, watch stunning stunt shows, plus hear amazing talks from the people who made it happen.

April 16th is when the site is launched and the guests are announced and people who have signed up to Starfleet get to book tickets, which don't go on general sale until April 30th.

I'll wait to hear more details, but there's nothing on that list that screams "I MUST GO TO THIS!". So it depend on which guest stars they get and the price of tickets.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 08:20 PM   #66
Admiral Bear
Captain

A very large "mehhhh" depending on the guests and prices. Nothing there to excite me. I've heard a vague rumour of all five series Captains, but I'll believe it when I see it. Just reads like Creation with a few props and a couple of Bridge chairs.

Excel is a horrible souless and uncomfortable place. Would much rather have seen this in a nice 5 star hotel. Looks like Media 10 have gone for the cheap option for locating this event.

My guess is the prices for whatever this is will be well above what most of us can afford in the current climate of low wages, high prices, and high unemployment.
Old April 4 2012, 08:29 PM   #67
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Yep. Plus I'm assuming they'll charge extra for autographs and photos.

I'm curious about the stunt shows. I can't really imagine what they'd do.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 08:46 PM   #68
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

You guys are so cynical. Where is the love?

I want to know if anyone from the Star Trek 2009 crew will be attending.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 09:23 PM   #69
Admiral Bear
Captain

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
You guys are so cynical. Where is the love?
Yes, we are. We find it helps us to keep our wallets closed when all those around us are throwing their cash at ne'er-do-wells.

You want love? . . .puts on some Barry White. . .Come to the Admiral, Baby. I got me some of that hyprospray of lurrrrrrve.
Old April 4 2012, 09:27 PM   #70
Admiral Bear
Captain

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Yep. Plus I'm assuming they'll charge extra for autographs and photos.

I'm curious about the stunt shows. I can't really imagine what they'd do.
Given the 'elf and safety Nazis in this country, along with the fact you can't actually replicate phaser fire in real life (shocker, I know), probably not very much.
Old April 4 2012, 10:20 PM   #71
Flibble
Fleet Captain

Thanks for posting the details of this. I got the email, but my account is having a hiccup so I can't actually see what it says!
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 10:06 PM   #72
CaptKirkland
Cadet

The Showmasters forum are saying that they are 'involved' but I wouldn't want to speculate on what that involvement might look like.
If this is a CBS licenced event, I think the CBS legal team need to take a little trip to Milton Keynes and get Joiner to STFU. Given his track record of organising anything to do with Star Trek, CBS shouldn't want him going around saying he has anything at all to do with this event.

The actual company that appears to be running the event is called Media 10 Ltd, based in Loughton, Essex. They have a good record of organising the Ideal Home Exhibition and Grand Designs exhibtion. In terms of reputability and integrity, Media 10 Ltd seem to be a million miles away from certain other UK event organisers.

Event most likely to be a convention of some kind. I hope whoever runs it takes note of what's happened in previous years ie no one turns up unless you get the really big guns out. Nimoy's retired, so that's one less of those guns. Fro me, it has to be a full TNG cast reunion for the 25th anni.
Hi Admiral Bear, Where did you hear that Media 10 were running this?
I did a whois search on startreklondon.com. Simples.

This event has to be a whole lot more than a bit of movie promotion for a film that won't be released until at least May 2013 anyway. Why would they advertise something as insignificant as that 7 months in advance, let alone advertise it at all when these things are rarely open to the public? While JJ Star Trek got very good reviews, we have to face facts that the film's box office was mediocre to average given its budget, and that the release of a Trek movie doesn't really carry too much buzz these days.

We'll probably all be wrong about what this event turns out to be. Unless it's a convention with some VERY big guests and James Darren doing a gig in a recreated Vic's Lounge, I'm not interested. I went to that Star Trek exhibition in Hyde Park years ago, and frankly it was shite.
I used to work for Media 10, six or seven years back... Unfortunately, I'm not in contact with anyone there who can confirm their direct involvement with this, but the IP lookup would seem to be a positive indication. Knowing their reputation for carrying off big events in cities like London and Birmingham this one could be in safe hands. It's certainly a departure from some of their interior design events that they're best known for!

UK fans deserve a decent show after many letdowns over the years (one of which made the BBC consumer affairs programme Watchdog after the organiser disappeared without trace, if I recall!). At least with CBS involved we have some security.

Wonder what calibre of guests they'll be able to get? A lot of the new Trek movie cast seem to be pretty tied-up with other projects, that's if any of them would have the inclination to make a convention-type appearance over here. But here's hoping some of the better known series cast will put in a showing. As mentioned, some set replicas would be a nice addition for photo ops.
CaptKirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 10:12 PM   #73
Lonemagpie
Writer

CaptKirkland wrote: View Post
Wonder what calibre of guests they'll be able to get? .
I bet Jim Swallow, Una McCormack or myself would jump at the chance...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 02:49 PM   #74
Admiral Bear
Captain

I used to work for Media 10, six or seven years back... Unfortunately, I'm not in contact with anyone there who can confirm their direct involvement with this, but the IP lookup would seem to be a positive indication. Knowing their reputation for carrying off big events in cities like London and Birmingham this one could be in safe hands. It's certainly a departure from some of their interior design events that they're best known for!
Well, it's certainly Media 10 that sent out the first pointless email to those people who'd signed up for news.

UK fans deserve a decent show after many letdowns over the years (one of which made the BBC consumer affairs programme Watchdog after the organiser disappeared without trace, if I recall!). At least with CBS involved we have some security.
That would be E1, run the ubiquitous Manny Patel. Sadly, I knew him in passing, as did quite a few of the people who threw their money at him. I didn't give him a penny as I suspected what was coming. He was outwardly a very pleasant guy, but was a very obvious con artist. I think it transpired later on that he had £25k of county court judgements against him. Go on youtube. Manny fled the UK after his grilling by Anne Robinson, and is now quite big in the US. . .apparently.

Wonder what calibre of guests they'll be able to get? A lot of the new Trek movie cast seem to be pretty tied-up with other projects, that's if any of them would have the inclination to make a convention-type appearance over here. But here's hoping some of the better known series cast will put in a showing. As mentioned, some set replicas would be a nice addition for photo ops.
As I've previously said, this event has FAIL written large all over it unless Media 10 get Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, Mulgrew, Bakula, maybe Pine/Quinto there across the three days. Creation will tell you that no one in the UK goes to a Trek convention on a Friday (normal working day), so running this event for 3 days, one day is already a dead loss regardless of who they get to appear on that day. Creation will also tell you that UK people will only turn up to see a Trek series Captain, Nimoy, Frakes and Spiner. Anybody else, and very few people will care, especially at the prices charged. You'd think that Creation, with their experiences in the UK and caring about Trek fandom as they do, would've had a quiet word in CBS's ear about the futility of running a Star Trek convention in London.

I'm also worried that Joiner is crowing about this event, making people think he's involved with it in some way. Anything that involves him working with another organiser is doomed to failure. Just ask Fedcon what he's like to try and work with. You could also ask Universal Pictures.

On a last note, if the DLR goes down for engineering works that weekend, as it often does, this event is even more deceased than it probably already is.
Old April 14 2012, 10:28 PM   #75
Flibble
Fleet Captain

I was one of the people who took him to court....and that's the nicest thing I can say about him!

After that fiasco, I'm concerned about this event and handing any money over to the organisers.

That would be E1, run the ubiquitous Manny Patel. Sadly, I knew him in passing, as did quite a few of the people who threw their money at him. I didn't give him a penny as I suspected what was coming. He was outwardly a very pleasant guy, but was a very obvious con artist. I think it transpired later on that he had £25k of county court judgements against him. Go on youtube. Manny fled the UK after his grilling by Anne Robinson, and is now quite big in the US. . .apparently.
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote