Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 25 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Knight Templar
Commodore

Do Other Science Fiction Franchises Exist Within the Trek Universe?

In the Star Trek world, do people flock to see movies (ok holodramas) about "Bolos vs. Berserkers"?

Do they debate which version of Babylon Five, Battletech, Battlestar Galactica, Blake's 7 (hey four Bs) or Space: Above & Beyond was best?

What about alternate history? This seems like a lively genre for potential in the Trek universe given their knowledge already of time travel and alternate universes.

And do the conspiracy theories of a modern version of "The X-Files" still spark watercooler (ok replicator slot) conversation?

We shouldn't take our not seeing them in the Trek episodes and movies to indicate anything definitive. After all, I've heard that active duty military personnel today do not normally spend a lot of time watching war movies.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Wereghost
Commodore

Re: Do Other Science Fiction Franchises Exist Within the Trek Universe

I don't think we've seen much of regular civilian life in Trek's brave new world. It's been suggested that World War Three did away with TV and movies and there was never really a resurgence as society had been rethought somewhat. Maybe they go to see plays a lot; Shakespeare is alluded to quite a lot in Trek.
Old March 25 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Knight Templar
Commodore

For some reason, it makes me feel good to think that science fiction franchises continue to exist in the Trek universe. Perhaps in novels at least.
Old March 25 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Captain Proton?
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Don't see why they wouldn't, since other forms of entertainment do.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
YARN
Fleet Captain

It would have been odd for the Galactica to make one last desperate jump and find itself at the border of Federation space.

Scene: Bridge of Federation ship which has just detected the RTF using long range scanners.

Science Officer: Curious, they're traveling using a discontinuous warp field guided by probability plots. Dangerous way to travel.

XO: Yes, and the big ship is armed with... ...missiles. These things should be in a museum

Off Screen: They're being pursued. Pursuers are firing.They don't stand a chance.

XO: Do we intervene?

Captain: No. Until a culture has developed FTL flight via the continuous warp field we cannot interfere with their development in any way. Stay out of their sensor range and record what follows. There should be some nice explosions to watch later.

YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

In my novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock, I mentioned an Andorian "time-fic" author named sh'Lesinas. I figured that even if space travel is treated as routine, they'd still see time travel as a mostly fanciful thing (since most of the time-travel events that happen in Trek are probably classified so the public doesn't find out how easy it is to rewrite history).

I want to mention John M. Ford's classic Klingon novel The Final Reflection, which featured a series called Battlecruiser Vengeance that was basically the Klingon Star Trek. But that wouldn't have been considered science fiction, just a military action-adventure show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, we know they sometimes watched old monster movies on Archer's Enterprise.
Old March 25 2012, 10:07 PM   #9
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

There was once a Star Trek novel called My Enemy, My Ally in the 1980s which featured Kirk and some technicians watching a hologram of Doctor Who's Tardis materialising and the Fourth Doctor popping out and asking the nearest route to
Heathrow.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Seriously, given that detective stories, westerns, and gothic romances still seem to be popular aboard Federation starships, I think we have to assume that vintage science fiction stories are still enjoyed in the future.

And, as already pointed out, let's not forget "Captain Proton."
Old March 25 2012, 10:13 PM   #11
YARN
Fleet Captain

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
There was once a Star Trek novel called My Enemy, My Ally in the 1980s which featured Kirk and some technicians watching a hologram of Doctor Who's Tardis materialising and the Fourth Doctor popping out and asking the nearest route to
Heathrow.
I don't think that fictional existence in the same universe really counts as existing. If the Tardis were to actually appear on the Enterprise. If the totality of WHO reality and Trek reality were, therefore, supposed to mesh with each other, you would have franchises co-existing with each other.

Technically, any science fiction written before the events of Trek's divergence from actual history, is trivially part of the Trek universe. Verne, for example, is trivially a part of the Trek universe.

EDIT - Oops, misread the OP. My bad.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Knight Templar
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
In my novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock, I mentioned an Andorian "time-fic" author named sh'Lesinas. I figured that even if space travel is treated as routine, they'd still see time travel as a mostly fanciful thing (since most of the time-travel events that happen in Trek are probably classified so the public doesn't find out how easy it is to rewrite history).

I want to mention John M. Ford's classic Klingon novel The Final Reflection, which featured a series called Battlecruiser Vengeance that was basically the Klingon Star Trek. But that wouldn't have been considered science fiction, just a military action-adventure show.
I also recall somewhere (perhaps in the FASA RPG) that there was another Klingon series based on the adventures of Captain Koloth called "Devisor Victorious".

IIRC, it was this series that helped spread Captain Kirks reputation across the Klingon Empire as he was frequently the "villian" of the series.

I'm wondering what science fiction writers in the 23rd/24th centuries see when they look three hundred years into the future?
Old March 25 2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I'm wondering what science fiction writers in the 23rd/24th centuries see when they look three hundred years into the future?
Given the utopianism of the Federation, maybe they write about a galaxy-spanning Federation that's probing into new galaxies or other universes. Maybe some imagine a posthumanoid future where everyone is uploaded into mobile holoemitters and can live forever. Then again, in the wake of the Dominion War (and, in the novels, the Borg invasion), there may be a trend toward apocalyptic Fall-of-the-Federation narratives, cautionary tales of the Federation way of life falling victim to collective consciousness or genetic engineering run amok or some such thing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 01:10 AM   #14
xortex
Commodore

They had James Bond on DS9 and his girl, the approprately named Mona Lovsitt.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 01:10 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
It's been suggested that World War Three did away with TV and movies and there was never really a resurgence as society had been rethought somewhat.
According to TNG's The Neutral Zone, television died out around 2040.

We know from Enterprise's Home that movies were still being made in the 22nd century. In the episode, Archer learns about a WWIII movie released while the NX-01 was in the Expanse that "won all the awards."