RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,825
Posts: 5,326,888
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 513
Newest member: Mycroft

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 6 2012, 05:50 AM   #46
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
The conspiracy people are everywhere on the internet, and every time I see Annunaki or Grey, I go into Troll Mode.
I prefer the term 'truth seeker' myself.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 12:30 AM   #47
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Storybrooke
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
"We need to mitigate the cabalic intensity of the trialic force in the vinculum!"
Don't be to proud of this technobabbular terror you've created. The ability to stuff a script full of vaguely scientific filler is insignificant next to the power of proactive characters.
Actually, that was part of my point, Jitty. What's yours?
__________________
"Let's hope to hell you didn't bring anything else back with you!"

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 01:34 AM   #48
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
"We need to mitigate the cabalic intensity of the trialic force in the vinculum!"
Don't be to proud of this technobabbular terror you've created. The ability to stuff a script full of vaguely scientific filler is insignificant next to the power of proactive characters.
Actually, that was part of my point, Jitty. What's yours?
Spouting Star Wars quotes. It's like quoting Holy Grail, it doesn't need a purpose. Just a humorous period or exclamation mark for your post, I suppose.
__________________
"What?" - { Emilia }
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 02:06 AM   #49
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Storybrooke
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post

Don't be to proud of this technobabbular terror you've created. The ability to stuff a script full of vaguely scientific filler is insignificant next to the power of proactive characters.
Actually, that was part of my point, Jitty. What's yours?
Spouting Star Wars quotes. It's like quoting Holy Grail, it doesn't need a purpose. Just a humorous period or exclamation mark for your post, I suppose.
Ooooo-kay...
__________________
"Let's hope to hell you didn't bring anything else back with you!"

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 06:43 PM   #50
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

People, people! Stuff like this does not matter:
With the exception of America and Canada, the navies of the Americas use corvette captain. In Europe (excepting UK and Ireland) it either corvette captain or captain lieutenant.
Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but trust me. Nobody at CBS will know or care what any of that means. To the people with the power to make a TV series, a "Corvette" is a sports car that is far too low-end to interest them.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 07:20 PM   #51
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Storybrooke
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
People, people! Stuff like this does not matter:
With the exception of America and Canada, the navies of the Americas use corvette captain. In Europe (excepting UK and Ireland) it either corvette captain or captain lieutenant.
Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but trust me. Nobody at CBS will know or care what any of that means. To the people with the power to make a TV series, a "Corvette" is a sports car that is far too low-end to interest them.
So you don't waste time explaining it in the pitch meeting. That's a detail for you to worry about if you shoot a pilot. At the pitch meeting, you walk in and say "The next Star Trek is the US Navy joins forces with the Smithsonian in space to search for the origins of intelligent life. They face new and familiar friends and foes along the way."

If they don't buy it, you go home. If they do buy it, you write a pilot script. If they buy that, you pick and choose the right details during production, because they're strictly for the end-users - the viewing audience - anyway.
__________________
"Let's hope to hell you didn't bring anything else back with you!"

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 04:11 AM   #52
Anji
Rear Admiral
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Location: Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Don't forget they will ask you to put up a significant amount of YOUR OWN MONEY for this venture.

Science fiction is high budget and very, very risky.

And Star Trek is not as hot a property as it used to be.

The fact that you will be fronting 70 percent of the cost may be the point that will make them green light it.
__________________
"You may be wrong, but you may be right." - Billy Joel
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 08:38 PM   #53
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Foreign investors. Does the Sultan of Brunai like star Trek?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 09:33 PM   #54
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

There's some guy who does, I think he's some prince of Jordan, he's building a Star Trek theme park, and he should be bankrolling a TV series.

If they buy that, you pick and choose the right details during production, because they're strictly for the end-users - the viewing audience - anyway.
The details will need to be crafted for the most likely audience, true. But the details you are talking about don't map to any likely audience, which is defined as "the people who already watch the channel where this show is going to air."

If it's on AMC, it needs to fit the interests of the AMC audience. If FX, it's the FX audience, etc. There is no channel where details about starships and military background are already of keen interest to viewers, so that audience simply doesn't exist. And nobody is going to do the work of trying to coalesce that audience, not when they've already got a perfectly good audience to sell new shows to.

If the Military Channel did scripted dramas, then maybe it would fit there, but they don't, and if they did, they would start with something more directly of interest to their audience such as a historical war drama about a real life war.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 09:23 PM   #55
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
There's some guy who does, I think he's some prince of Jordan, he's building a Star Trek theme park, and he should be bankrolling a TV series.

If they buy that, you pick and choose the right details during production, because they're strictly for the end-users - the viewing audience - anyway.
The details will need to be crafted for the most likely audience, true. But the details you are talking about don't map to any likely audience, which is defined as "the people who already watch the channel where this show is going to air."

If it's on AMC, it needs to fit the interests of the AMC audience. If FX, it's the FX audience, etc. There is no channel where details about starships and military background are already of keen interest to viewers, so that audience simply doesn't exist. And nobody is going to do the work of trying to coalesce that audience, not when they've already got a perfectly good audience to sell new shows to.

If the Military Channel did scripted dramas, then maybe it would fit there, but they don't, and if they did, they would start with something more directly of interest to their audience such as a historical war drama about a real life war.
How did Firefly do on the Science Channel? If the price could be kept down, the Science Channel could be a great place for Space Opera.

Xortex, yea, if I was a Billionaire, with money to burn, I'd probably finance a Space Opera show myself.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 11:15 PM   #56
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Fan films do space opera for next to nothing so the question is how greedy is the science channel?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 06:09 AM   #57
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Its certainly cheaper now a days honestly ship to ship combat is the main cost.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 07:47 AM   #58
Gaius
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

SPEKTRE76 wrote: View Post
I know there are many geek cultures out there and beliefs. So, please keep an open mind and also that this is in my own opinion.
  1. Get rid of the hokiness!
  2. Come down to earth.
  3. Real military terminology.
  4. Real scientific terminology.
  5. Needs to be dark and gritty.
  6. Aliens need to look like aliens and......
  7. Timeline progression through seasons.
  8. Character development.
  9. Ships need to look like science/military vessels inside and out.
  10. Uniforms, I am 15 years ex-Navy don't get me started..oops too late!
  11. Officers and ENLISTED please! Special forces away teams! Contractors
  12. Sound does not travel in space!
Star Trek is not supposed to be military science-fiction. There's the whole Stargate franchise for that purpose. ST is by definition about space exploration and making contact with new species and civilizations. Ship design and uniforms are also genre-specific, so I see no problem with those either.

Dark and gritty? I don't know. It really depends on the era we are talking about. The episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise take place during the early formative years of the Federation and depicts how they were trying to find their way in a dark and unkown universe. In contrast, TNG shows us the powerful, enlightened and self-confident crew of the 24th century Federation.

I agree with some other points of yours. A creative FX specialist needs to find ways to substitute bumpy foreheaded aliens. See the discussion on this topic here.

I also agree with your cry for more character development and timeline progression. This could be achieved by getting rid of the need to restore the status quo at the end of each episode, which is the specialty of sitcoms. They could also make more frequent references to earlier episodes.

Finally, I also concur with your last point. But then again, this is not the only law any sci-fi has violated. For a full list, click here.
__________________
Sit vis vobiscum.
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 03:06 PM   #59
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

Gaius wrote: View Post
SPEKTRE76 wrote: View Post
I know there are many geek cultures out there and beliefs. So, please keep an open mind and also that this is in my own opinion.
  1. Get rid of the hokiness!
  2. Come down to earth.
  3. Real military terminology.
  4. Real scientific terminology.
  5. Needs to be dark and gritty.
  6. Aliens need to look like aliens and......
  7. Timeline progression through seasons.
  8. Character development.
  9. Ships need to look like science/military vessels inside and out.
  10. Uniforms, I am 15 years ex-Navy don't get me started..oops too late!
  11. Officers and ENLISTED please! Special forces away teams! Contractors
  12. Sound does not travel in space!
Star Trek is not supposed to be military science-fiction. There's the whole Stargate franchise for that purpose. ST is by definition about space exploration and making contact with new species and civilizations. Ship design and uniforms are also genre-specific, so I see no problem with those either.
What does that have to do with whether Starfleet should act like their the military or not? I seem to recall the Military usually doing exploration stuff back when there was exploration stuff to do.

TNG shows us the powerful, enlightened and self-confident crew of the 24th century Federation.
And then DS9 injected so much needed realism into that, turning the TNG federation from space hippy love fest to real government.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 03:34 PM   #60
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Star Trek, what I think it should be.....

I hate guns in space. This may be why GR had the tiny phaser, to be more inconscipicous and better hidden. I truly believe that.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.