Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 8 2012, 03:02 AM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: SimCity 5 on its way in 2013!

You clearly have access to the internet now. Is it really that difficult to access the internet to activate a game? You can play offline after that.
Old March 9 2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Isn't Steam just the distribution method? Because I avoid certain publishers that tend to make me do things like those complaints (Ubisoft or EA), but I get indie games off Steam all the time, and I used to play them offline on my netbook as well.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 04:02 AM   #18
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

^ Well, at least for Civ5, it looks like you can't play it without logging into Steam.

And, not to be annoying or anything, but dang it -- I should not have to do that, just to play the fripping game! Okay, maybe to register it, sure, even to install it (*grumble*), but to play?

That's just ridiculous, regardless of how easy/accessible the Internet is anymore.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 06:53 PM   #19
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
Steam drove me away from contemporary PC games,
I think you may be the only person in existence I've heard utter those words. Most people consider Steam to be the saviour of PC gaming.
Nah, there's a few anti-Steam people over at CivFanatics. I don't like having to install third-party software, I don't like having to interact with the internet to activate or play a game, and I despise the new service model developers are so fond of.
I'm well aware of the criticisms of online DRM, but that's not unique to Steam (or Origin, for that matter).
Old March 10 2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Kronos
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You clearly have access to the internet now. Is it really that difficult to access the internet to activate a game? You can play offline after that.
Not difficult, annoying and intrusive is more like it.

I don't use Steam, but I have to have it installed to activate a game I bought in a store? no thanks.
Old March 10 2012, 09:51 AM   #21
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Then you have basically 2 choices.. don't play the game and make your opinion known with your wallet (the most effective way to communicate your opinion to a company) or use a crack to remove the Steam prerequisite.

Is that still legal if you own the original game, i.e. crack your own game to remove a certain feature?
Old March 10 2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Alidar Jarok

You don't own the original game. You pay for a license for unlimited use of the game. But one term of use is you're not allowed to use a crack to hack into it. So, yes, it is illegal to do so. I realize European courts tend to rule differently, but that's still officially what it says.

And while you have to run steam, it runs silently in the background with minimal use of the processor and can be run offline (you don't have to be online to run civ, just to activate it).
Old March 12 2012, 03:30 PM   #23
Jeyl
Commodore

I'm on my knees praying it doesn't have any "Buy this with real $ to make life easier!".
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:43 AM   #24
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I'm on my knees praying it doesn't have any "Buy this with real $ to make life easier!".
You can bet your ass there will be DLCs for the game for a "small fee".. special buildings, monuments, parks and whatnot.. this has become the norm for new games to make some extra money besides selling the game.
Old March 13 2012, 12:25 PM   #25
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Awesome news.

I hope it will be easily moddable.

Sim City 4 + Rush Hour + Mods was so amazing. Loved it.

Happy Emi!
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Alidar Jarok

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
You can bet your ass there will be DLCs for the game for a "small fee".. special buildings, monuments, parks and whatnot.. this has become the norm for new games to make some extra money besides selling the game.
I'm fine with DLC provided it adds enough content to be worthwhile and the base game is fun without it. Many add cosmetic-only DLC, which strikes me as completely pointless.
Old March 16 2012, 08:24 PM   #27
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Don't underestimate the need of people to have everything and pay for it with micropayments.. many Facebook games provide a huge income through DLCs and it's why the exist. The producers are betting on the need of people to get results faster and have shinier things and it's only a dollar or so.. that's nothing, right?

It's up for everyone to decide if they want it.. i have no problem with that unless the DLC is needed to win games or puts my opponents at an advantage because they decided to shell out an extra buck. If the basic game i bought is balanced for everyone i don't mind if the other's have a specialized suit of armor, a special car, house, pet or whatever.. it's a cosmetic choice. However it stops when it affects gameplay.
Old March 30 2012, 12:12 AM   #28
Steven
Admiral

Funny you should say that... because you won't be able to do that with SimCity:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/28/si...-be-sold-outsi
SimCity requires internet connection to play, will be sold outside of Origin

Good news: If you want to download SimCity somewhere other than Origin, you'll have the option to do so. An EA representative confirmed with Joystiq that the title would be available for purchase on other digital distribution platforms, though a list of stores has yet to be finalized. SimCity is arriving sometime in 2013.

Lead designer Stone Librande confirmed that SimCity would be an internet-dependent experience. Players will need to be online on Origin while playing, even if that wasn't the point of purchase. The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.
Just like that, SimCity gets dropped from my "must buy" list.
Old March 30 2012, 05:13 AM   #29
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
Funny you should say that... because you won't be able to do that with SimCity:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/28/si...-be-sold-outsi
SimCity requires internet connection to play, will be sold outside of Origin

Good news: If you want to download SimCity somewhere other than Origin, you'll have the option to do so. An EA representative confirmed with Joystiq that the title would be available for purchase on other digital distribution platforms, though a list of stores has yet to be finalized. SimCity is arriving sometime in 2013.

Lead designer Stone Librande confirmed that SimCity would be an internet-dependent experience. Players will need to be online on Origin while playing, even if that wasn't the point of purchase. The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.
Just like that, SimCity gets dropped from my "must buy" list.
Depressing part is that if it fails, EA will think it was because it needed more multiplayer.

Idiots.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 06:50 AM   #30
Kronos
Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post

Oh what a fantastically stupid idea.