Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 18 2012, 04:42 PM   #211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Maybe, but we still saw enough to get a good idea of the dialogue, character interactions, and visual style. And none of them struck me as being remotely bold or original in any way.

Hell, even Miller pointing out clues was kinda dull. You'd think they could at least make THAT part kind of exciting.

And I wasn't even against the idea of an American remake either. I love seeing new interpretations of things. Unfortunately I just don't see anything new here at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 04:55 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Maybe, but we still saw enough to get a good idea of the dialogue, character interactions, and visual style.
No, we saw enough to get an idea of the particular dialogue and interactions that the creators of the promo selected based on the particular impression they wanted to convey. We can't assume it's a representative sample of the whole, because that is not how advertising works.

Not to mention that a pilot episode isn't necessarily representative of the series that follows. Just this past year on one network, NBC, I've seen one show where the pilot was dull and uninspired but the subsequent series was much fresher and smarter (Grimm) and one show where the pilot was brilliant and innovative but the subsequent show got dumbed down by the network to a more conventional procedural (Awake).

So I'm going to follow Holmes's dictum: "It is a capital mistake to theorise in advance of the facts." I'll wait to see the actual show before I decide.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 09:42 PM   #213
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

And none of them struck me as being remotely bold or original in any way.
That would be astonishing to see in any CBS series. They don't do "bold" and "original."

Vegas
is the one that struck me as more of a departure than I would have expected from CBS, for the historical time period alone, and also the serialized format (which seems to be demanded by the premise). Terrible name, tho. Wasn't there already a show or three by that name?

Anyway, Awake is back to being interesting and not dragged down by its procedural element.

But that's NBC - shows on that network tend to be much more volatile in their development because NBC can't figure out a formula that will work for them. CBS has long since figured it out, and has no motive to rock the boat.

And that's why I rarely bother with CBS shows at all, but will give an NBC show a long leash - sometimes, like with Grimm and Awake, it pays off (well for now since Awake is toast.) And sometimes it goes in the opposite direction - eg, Smash. But at least with NBC, there's hope.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 10:17 PM   #214
Borgminister

I found Awake to be fascinating in concept and uneven in execution.

Grimm is a yawner.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 12:54 AM   #215
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

CBS has released a new five minute long trailer.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 01:12 AM   #216
Christopher
Writer

I'm still not sure what I think of it. I think it's a little too much like Sherlock in playing up Holmes's social cluelessness and manic eccentricity.

Old May 26 2012, 01:49 AM   #217
Borgminister

Oddly enough, Perception looks more Holmsian than Elementary judging by the previews...
Old May 26 2012, 04:24 PM   #218
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's funny how I see the addiction angle as more "House" than Sherlock even though "House" was inspired by "Sherlock Holmes"

The beginning of the trailer they use that shaky font thing does remind me of "Sherlock"

The sniffing of the shirt and mannerisms made me think Jonny could be a 12 Doctor.

BBC Sherlock would delight in finding that dead body

BBC Sherlock- I love it when I'm right.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 08:10 PM   #219
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Looks like Jonny Lee Miller's character is the love child of Laurie's House and Cumberbatch's Holmes--he's channeling both of them in large, fairly equal quantities in the new trailer.

And strangely, I find myself okay with that. I guess it's better than ripping of the BBC's Sherlock wholesale like we were all worried about. *shrug*
Old May 26 2012, 08:52 PM   #220
Christopher
Writer

^I'd say he's channeling House, Sherlock, and the Tenth and/or Eleventh Doctor.

Old May 26 2012, 09:23 PM   #221
Borgminister

If I get a House actor vibe from Elementary, I'm out. As acted, that character is either one you love or hate, and I gravitate toward the latter...
Old May 26 2012, 11:23 PM   #222
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

This might be because I'm much more familiar with him than I am with others, but I've gotten a very Robert Downey Jr.-esque vibe out of the character of Holmes as portrayed by Johnny Lee Miller based on the behind-the-scenes teaser and 5-minute trailer we've gotten thus far. To me, JLM seems to be playing Holmes very similar to the way RDJ has, and also seems, at least to me, to be channeling a bit of RDJ's Tony Stark as well, albeit without the arrogant air that Tony has.
Old August 31 2012, 08:02 PM   #223
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ It certainly ain't the Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character transplanted to the present; that's for sure. Just another arrogant eccentric. Unsurprising Fail.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 07:26 PM   #224
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Bold and original? This is still CBS we're talking about, right?

CBS is to TV as McDonalds is to food. Plan your viewing schedule accordingly.

Sheep wrote: View Post
And strangely, I find myself okay with that. I guess it's better than ripping of the BBC's Sherlock wholesale like we were all worried about. *shrug*
That was never even remotely a possibility. CBS has a very narrow definition of what a CBS show is like, and they have had a great deal of success hewing to that definition with great discipline. CBS viewers like knowing what kind if show they'll be watching just like McDonald's customers like knowing exactly what kind of burger they'll be eating.

The upcoming CBS series that might be a departure by CBS standards is Vegas, not Elementary. That's the one I'll be checking out.

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ It certainly ain't the Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character transplanted to the present; that's for sure. Just another arrogant eccentric. Unsurprising Fail.
You're right about everything but the Fail part. The show looks like exactly the kind of thing the CBS viewer wants in a show. I still predict it will be a success for CBS.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; September 1 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 1 2012, 07:34 PM   #225
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Oddly enough, Perception looks more Holmsian than Elementary judging by the previews...
I've been watching that one, and it's squarely in the quirky-detective tradition that is so wildly successful now, especially on CBS and USA. Blame Monk for it all. House, The Mentalist, etc, its all over the place. But despite myself, I do like Eric McCormack in the role, despite the predictable and formulaic plotlines.