RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,966
Posts: 5,392,117
Members: 24,721
Currently online: 678
Newest member: SDT66

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 29 2012, 08:22 PM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

^But don;t the likes of Looney Tunes, Disney Characters (mickey etc..), DC and Marvel comic books precede SW, being as they all come out before SW? The question as I read it to mean was shows/franchises created after SW came out.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 08:34 PM   #47
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Harry Potter and Twilight, hands down. And definitely not Mass Effect. Gamers may find it teh übergame but the game does not appeal to the mass (sic).
Mass Effect (and Halo to that extent -- and I'm a huge Halo fan) are a niche.
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 08:50 PM   #48
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^But don;t the likes of Looney Tunes, Disney Characters (mickey etc..), DC and Marvel comic books precede SW, being as they all come out before SW? The question as I read it to mean was shows/franchises created after SW came out.
You know I forgot about the Disney Characters. While they arguably have had more staying power than even Wars, most children today I'd say still think Potter is more "kewl," than Mickey is - also Potter has more cross over adult appeal than the Disney characters.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 08:52 PM   #49
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

My Little Pony
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 09:05 PM   #50
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Harry Potter.

And, as Star Wars was completely revolutionary in its day, with reverberations to the present day and for years to come, so is Harry Potter, by being an überly successful book series before it was an überly successful movie series, something which Star Wars was never and will never be. From this point of view, Harry Potter followed the Star Wars pattern in reverse, and it appears more culturally refined by being literary.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 09:14 PM   #51
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^But don;t the likes of Looney Tunes, Disney Characters (mickey etc..), DC and Marvel comic books precede SW, being as they all come out before SW? The question as I read it to mean was shows/franchises created after SW came out.
Good point; I and others had forgotten that qualifier.

Still, if the OP proves not to mind the digression, I'm personally interested what people think about them too.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 10:39 PM   #52
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Holdfast wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
^But don;t the likes of Looney Tunes, Disney Characters (mickey etc..), DC and Marvel comic books precede SW, being as they all come out before SW? The question as I read it to mean was shows/franchises created after SW came out.
Good point; I and others had forgotten that qualifier.

Still, if the OP proves not to mind the digression, I'm personally interested what people think about them too.
Sure it's a discussion. ideas of brand recognition and the above are natural.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 11:48 PM   #53
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Brand recognition and cultural impact are two different things.

In the UK, the likes of DW, ST and SW have had a cultural impact as most people will understand referrences to them, HP to a certain extent. As for brand recognition, you have the Disney Characters, Loony Tunes, as for the likes of DC and Marvel Comics, I suspect that had little to no brand recogniton in the UK. The recent slew of Superhero movies made have raised awarness but I supsect If I asked the average person on what they thought Marvel made (they would associate it with dried milk powder) as for DC (is that some sort of electrical company or the capital of the USA)
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:18 AM   #54
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Star Wars influenced not just its own genre but the whole nature of a blockbuster action movie in some fundamental ways that were carried forward by others.
Although it is important not to ignore that Jaws had already begun the trend of big-budget, high concept blockbusters with a saturated release and massive advertising budget. Star Wars is a key moment in this phenomenon, but it is not the only moment, nor is it the first.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:48 AM   #55
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
blockbuster first & star wars

Harvey wrote: View Post
Although it is important not to ignore that Jaws had already begun the trend of big-budget, high concept blockbusters with a saturated release and massive advertising budget. Star Wars is a key moment in this phenomenon, but it is not the only moment, nor is it the first.
Yes for those who were not born or do not know:

In 1975 the usage of 'blockbuster' for films coalesced around Steven Spielberg's Jaws, and became perceived as something new: a cultural phenomenon,
Before Jaws set box office records in the summer of 1975, successful films such as Quo Vadis (1951 film), The Ten Commandments (1956 film), Gone With the Wind, and Ben-Hur were called blockbusters based purely on the amount of money earned at the box office. Jaws is regarded as the first film of New Hollywood's 'blockbuster era' with its current meaning, implying a film genre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbu...tertainment%29
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 11:41 AM   #56
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Harvey wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Star Wars influenced not just its own genre but the whole nature of a blockbuster action movie in some fundamental ways that were carried forward by others.
Although it is important not to ignore that Jaws had already begun the trend of big-budget, high concept blockbusters with a saturated release and massive advertising budget. Star Wars is a key moment in this phenomenon, but it is not the only moment, nor is it the first.
That's a good point, but with the benefit of time & distance, the sheer magnitude of SW feels greater, as if it acted like an inflection point. Part of that perception admittedly may simply be the relatively long lag time between coming up with the idea of a movie, and getting it into theatres (SW came out just a couple of years after Jaws, after all).

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Brand recognition and cultural impact are two different things.

In the UK, the likes of DW, ST and SW have had a cultural impact as most people will understand referrences to them, HP to a certain extent. As for brand recognition, you have the Disney Characters, Loony Tunes, as for the likes of DC and Marvel Comics, I suspect that had little to no brand recogniton in the UK. The recent slew of Superhero movies made have raised awarness but I supsect If I asked the average person on what they thought Marvel made (they would associate it with dried milk powder) as for DC (is that some sort of electrical company or the capital of the USA)
Interesting article popped up today to support this point re: Marvel Comics brand recognition in the UK:

Avengers movie renamed for UK market
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 12:30 PM   #57
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

The new Trek.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 12:41 PM   #58
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

^ Good one.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 08:40 PM   #59
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

I'l have to go with Potter. It was the first thing that came to my mind while thinking about the initial question.

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post

I think the Marvel universe could be argued as being bigger than Star Trek, Star Wars or Potter. Active since the 60's, it caught the attention of college and university students when comics were just for kids.
But that effect was constrained to the U.S. mostly. On a global scale, the masses know Spidey, the X-Men and that's pretty much it.
The movies are only starting to change that.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 11:19 PM   #60
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Star Wars influenced not just its own genre but the whole nature of a blockbuster action movie in some fundamental ways that were carried forward by others.
Although it is important not to ignore that Jaws had already begun the trend of big-budget, high concept blockbusters with a saturated release and massive advertising budget. Star Wars is a key moment in this phenomenon, but it is not the only moment, nor is it the first.
That's a good point, but with the benefit of time & distance, the sheer magnitude of SW feels greater, as if it acted like an inflection point. Part of that perception admittedly may simply be the relatively long lag time between coming up with the idea of a movie, and getting it into theatres (SW came out just a couple of years after Jaws, after all).

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Brand recognition and cultural impact are two different things.

In the UK, the likes of DW, ST and SW have had a cultural impact as most people will understand referrences to them, HP to a certain extent. As for brand recognition, you have the Disney Characters, Loony Tunes, as for the likes of DC and Marvel Comics, I suspect that had little to no brand recogniton in the UK. The recent slew of Superhero movies made have raised awarness but I supsect If I asked the average person on what they thought Marvel made (they would associate it with dried milk powder) as for DC (is that some sort of electrical company or the capital of the USA)
Interesting article popped up today to support this point re: Marvel Comics brand recognition in the UK:

Avengers movie renamed for UK market
I can see why because when I thing of the Avengers I think of the TV show. Starring Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg (amognest others). Even though it orginally aired before I was born.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.