Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 28 2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Okona
Ensign

DS9 Writers

Did the producers of DS9 hire new writers for season 5-7? The episodes suddenly got a lot better in 1996. So did Voyager around the same time (season 3). They even killed Jadzia... what an interesting twist in the plot! In the first few seasons everything was always resolved by the end of the episode, then from season 5 forward they had overarching story lines that spanned across several episodes. I like!
Okona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: DS9 Writers

DSN started dropping hints in S1 more so during S2 run. re: The Dominion. In the case of DSN it started to get good around S3, and the later season where the culmination of the threads they had been building on.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Okona
Ensign

It's the opposite of Lost. Lost managed to get me totally hooked the first two seasons then got worse and worse. By season 5 I had lost all interest and stopped watching. In the first few seasons of DS9 there were some episodes that were so painful to watch. The worst one was probably the one with Lwaxana Troi. But all that Bajoran history stuff got on my nerves too. Then later, huge battles, time travel, main character dies, special effects, kapoww
Old January 29 2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Seven of Five
Commodore

Michael Piller was the head writer until mid-season three, when he stepped down on both DS9 and VOY to become just a Creative Consultant. He had been a big force on TNG, and was the reason TNG became so good in season three. Having him co-create the series was a very wise move.

Ira Steven Behr was on the staff from the start, and became the new head writer when Michael Piller stood down. He stayed with the show for the rest of its run. His Ferengi episodes were a bit strange, but his guiding hand ensured that the show continued to build on what came before. And he liked Iggy Pop too so there you go.

Robert Hewitt Wolfe was also on the show from the start, but left at the end of season five. He often wrote with Ira Steven Behr, and they often wrote amaing things together.

Peter Allan Fields was on staff for seasons one and two, before wanting to leave. He wrote The Inner Light on TNG, and Duet and Necessary Evil on DS9, amongst others.

At the start of season three, when TNG finished, Rene Echevarria moved over to DS9 till the end of its run. He was another very good writer, contributing Nor The Battle To The Strong, Children of Time and Chimera.

Ronald D. Moore also moved over to DS9 in season three, and was there to the end of the series. Ron had a hand in continuing the Klingon legacy he had helped to create on TNG, and also wrote stuff like In The Pale Moonlight.

Hans Beimler finally joined the staff during season four, despite having written some scripts for TNG and DS9 before. He was also there for the rest of the show's run. He would later become Ira Steven Behr's writing partner for the show after Robert Hewitt Wolfe left in season five.

David Weddle and Bradley Thompson joined the show in season six after Rober Hewitt Wolfe left in season five, and again were there to the end. They were pretty good, but were far and away much better on the Battlestar Galactica series Ronald D. Moore ran.

I'm not sure if that little infoburst is anything you wanted in particular, but I've read the DS9 companion that many times that these things just stick.

Jadzia being killed off was more of a necessity, as Terry Farrell (who played Dax) wanted to the leave the series.

DS9 is a brilliant series. The first season is a bit run of the mill, but there is a big step up in quality in seasons two and three. By season four, the show was more consistent, and then season five onwards just had the writers stirring the pot of everything that had come before. And it was glorious.

VOY season three is, for me, one of that series weakest seasons. I sort of understand where you're coming from though as the show went through its own changes during season three. More CGI was being used, and more action oriented endings were used, whereas the Kazon and Viidians were left behind.

Oh and I loved Lost. I loved it all the way through to the end. Seasons one and four were when I was the most gripped, but I lived on it for a while there.
Old January 29 2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Okona
Ensign

Wow, that's a lot of knowledge! Pretty impressive. Yeah... the writers really started growing into their job in season 5. I don't like shows where every problem gets opened and closed in a single episode because it makes the open loops pretty predictable. If you know "well they will have to solve this problem in the next 8 minutes" you can usually guess how they will solve it. If they have 5 episodes to solve it, it's almost impossible to guess.

I think the dialogues got a lot better too. Witty, funny, dramatic. Early seasons were sometimes quite *yawn* corny.
Old January 29 2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Okona
Ensign

Interesting, from imdb trivia:
The episode where Jadzia Dax dies. The producers were against such a radical plot development, especially with just one more season to go, but it was Terry Farrell's wish.
Not only was it not to their credit, they were actually against it! What a disappointment. Just keep everything trucking along nicely and boring as it always was? That's some really bad writing! I'm thinking of Breaking Bad here. Constantly shocking unexpected shit happening. Wow. That had me at the edge of my seat for all seasons so far.

Or maybe we've just become more desensitized to now-cliché plots that were still fresh 15 years ago... just like horror movies from the 40s arent scary anymore and a lot of laurel and hardy isn't funny anymore. I do seem to remember I was more fascinated by DS9 when it first came out. It's still good though. Last three seasons are really cool!

Either way, Hat tip to Farrell for inadvertently forcing the producers' hands and making them develop a more twisted plot!
Old January 29 2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Navaros
Commodore

Berman hated serialization (read: using Trek to tell meaningful stories instead of pointless stories with no consequences) at the time of DS9, and wanted them to have almost none of of it, except for maybe a two-parter once in a while.

DS9 became amazing because Ira Behr fought against Berman's really bad dictates about that, and succeeded in overcoming them to some extent.

Also, after the first couple of years of DS9, Berman's hands were busy mucking up the VOY pie, which means he had less time to use to them to muck up the DS9 pie, to DS9's great benefit, and to VOY's great detriment.

DS9 would have been even better if Berman's hands were never mucking up the DS9 pie at all. Some people respond to that point by saying, "But Berman co-created DS9;" however, that isn't saying much, because DS9 was not good at the time of its creation. DS9 became good only when others like Behr developed the concept way beyond what Berman had originally co-created.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Seven of Five
Commodore

I'm not sure if Berman actually hated serialisation, I just imagine that he would be trying his utmost to protect Gene's 'legacy.' All of Star Trek that had come before was never serialised. There wasn't even a lot of televison that was serialised at all until the 90s.

I don't think DS9 and Babylon 5 broke ground with their serialised tales, but they were the two notable cult shows in the 90s that worked well. I think 24 and Lost became trailblazers for serialisation on network TV, whilst the increased calibre of cable shows helped as well. Then gradually you get to modern day TV, where it's dotted everywhere.

Your comment about serialised shows telling more meaningful stories instead of pointless stories with no consequences is purely opinion. At the end of the day, it's the writing that matters. TNG wasn't very serialised, yet that series was popular (on the whole!) Heroes had an excellent first season, but then pissed it all away and was swiftly cancelled in year four, despite having ongoing storylines.

If the writing is there, people will give a damn. If not, then meh.
Old January 29 2012, 05:56 PM   #9
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

From a business point of view, limiting the serialization of a show is a smart move. Unfortunate but true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Okona
Ensign

Interesting input now, Navaros. Of course a lot of this is a matter of opinion... I like serialization because in, say, 10 hours much more can happen than in 40 minutes.

Do you guys know who wrote the dialogue for Vic Fontaine? Was it James Darren himself? That's some genius level stuff too.
Old January 29 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Indeed. Voyager's greatest contribution to Trek - cock-blocking Berman.
Old January 29 2012, 11:45 PM   #12
JB2005
Commodore

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
From a business point of view, limiting the serialization of a show is a smart move. Unfortunate but true.
Not really, I don't think I've ever seen Allo'Allo in order, but the creators seemed to realise that the Beeb would show the series out of order and so just have the "As you may recall" at the beginning...

All it needs is a 30 second spot to say "previously on..." and the audience can follow!
Old January 30 2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

JB2005 wrote: View Post
You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Not really, I don't think I've ever seen Allo'Allo in order, but the creators seemed to realise that the Beeb would show the series out of order and so just have the "As you may recall" at the beginning...

All it needs is a 30 second spot to say "previously on..." and the audience can follow!
I never thought I'd see 'Allo 'Allo referenced in a Trek thread - result !

Old January 30 2012, 08:31 PM   #14
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Allo! Allo! was a great series.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 09:11 PM   #15
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Okona wrote: View Post
Interesting input now, Navaros. Of course a lot of this is a matter of opinion... I like serialization because in, say, 10 hours much more can happen than in 40 minutes.
Well, a lot of scifi fans like serialization now...but in DS9's time, serialization was by no means the norm - especially in Trek.

In great respect, I think we can thank DS9 and B5 and their serialization for alot of what came later with BSG, and even LOST. Additionally, I think DS9 and B5 have aged a lot better than TNG and even VOY...and part of the reason for that is the serialization aspect. I think they fit in better with what contemporary scifi fans now expect.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote