RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,412
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 424
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 24 2012, 07:35 AM   #16
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation

Kelso wrote: View Post
I have the first game, but I got stuck on that stupid administrative planet near the beginning and got bored before they let me leave. I'm not a gamer, admittedly.

I really need to find a good walk-through and give it another shot. I keep hearing good things.
If all you want to do is get off the citadel, I can give you a quick walk through right here and now: -

...and that's all there is to it. There are other things to get up to of course, but that'll get you off the citadel the fastest and you can always come back and do all the side quests at any point before you do the fourth primary mission (usually Virmire, depending on which order you choose to do them in.)

If you're still not into it, or fall asleep during elevator rides and decide the game isn't for you, then you can just get the ultra condescend version in this rather well put together video. Needless to say; gigantic spoilers galore!

Last edited by Reverend; February 24 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 07:42 AM   #17
mclea1mm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View mclea1mm's Twitter Profile

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
mclea1mm wrote: View Post
I've heard complaints that it's 'too space opera' and the main species are 'too human' - in appearance and culture - to have a major, thought-provoking impact in science fiction
Right, because Vulcans, Klingons, Bajorans, Betazoids, Romulans, etc. look nothing like humans and their cultures have no basis in any human cultures in history. That's possibly one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard.
I agree, though I think what those commenters were getting at was that the style/approach of the ME universe is just more of the same, and they think the most important science fiction universe of our time should challenge that, or take it to a different level, which I can understand. What that might look like, exactly, I dunno.
mclea1mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Agenda
Fleet Captain

It's not important at all. You ask the average person and they don't know what a "mass effect" is...
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 11:50 AM   #19
stonester1
Rear Admiral

BTW, I don't think judging the sigificance of a fictional universe should hinge on the radar of the masses. There is much about the genre that is regarded as "classic", has lasting power, but the masses are dimly aware of it at best.

That is not the sole guage upon which we should judge these things, IMO.
Old February 24 2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm certain that if you ask the average person they won't have heard of Foundation, Ender's Game, or Babylon 5 either. Does that make them any less significant? No. Does the fact that they *have* heard of Transformers make that the more significant IP? HELL no!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 01:17 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
BTW, I don't think judging the sigificance of a fictional universe should hinge on the radar of the masses. There is much about the genre that is regarded as "classic", has lasting power, but the masses are dimly aware of it at best.

That is not the sole guage upon which we should judge these things, IMO.
Just look at John Carter. The Barssom series is one of the most important in Sci-Fi history, but the awareness for the movie has shown that most people have never heard of it.
Old February 25 2012, 04:51 AM   #22
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Exactly.
Old February 25 2012, 03:59 PM   #23
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Important in what way?

Star Trek has inspired many to pick up an engineering/space related profession (go to NASA and ask the guys who were there in the 70s and 80s) and Star Wars revolutionized movie technology and the space adventure storytelling.

I don't know if there has been an "important" SF universe since then but basically there are few who even fit the mold with having a developed universe.. the most recent i can think of is Stargate.

Now the story of Mass Effect is awesome and i can't wait to have the game in my hands in about 2 weeks but i don't think it's important in the grand scheme. As others have said go to the street and ask around who James T Kirk is, the starship Enterprise, Darth Vader or the Force but no one outside of gamers and those interested in pop culture will know what the Normandy is, who Cmdr. Sheppard is and what the Reapers are.

It'll be a long time, if ever, before a show/franchise emerges that makes itself known across the world and inspires people like the big two have.
Old February 25 2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Reverend wrote: View Post

If all you want to do is get off the citadel, I can give you a quick walk through right here and now: -
Thanks!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 05:13 PM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Honestly, the backstory is pretty impressive, but for me, the gameplay left a lot to be desired. I almost feel that this game would have been better as a point-and-click adventure game, a genre suitable for narrative heavy games. It is some impressive world building though. I think that this series could do as well as a TV series as a game.
I played it for an hour and could not believe how little I had accomplished. I agree about the gameplay. Stopping every 5 seconds to have a conversation with random characters is not my idea of a fun time. I've never gone back to play it again, so I can't even comment on the backstory or the universe in which the game takes place.
Old February 25 2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

There's combat missions and there's dialogue missions... when you're in a city or something yeah you're just talking, but then you go on a mission and it's all action.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 07:02 PM   #27
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Honestly, the backstory is pretty impressive, but for me, the gameplay left a lot to be desired. I almost feel that this game would have been better as a point-and-click adventure game, a genre suitable for narrative heavy games. It is some impressive world building though. I think that this series could do as well as a TV series as a game.
I played it for an hour and could not believe how little I had accomplished. I agree about the gameplay. Stopping every 5 seconds to have a conversation with random characters is not my idea of a fun time. I've never gone back to play it again, so I can't even comment on the backstory or the universe in which the game takes place.
It's weird. I'm kinda the opposite. Yeah, I love the combat. It's penty of fun, but the real flavor of the game and the world comes from the dialogue. The things I truly look forward to are not the next big battle, but the next chance to interact with the world, and decide what kind of person my Shepard is.
Old February 25 2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Skywalker
Admiral

I think those who struggled with ME1 might find ME2 easier to get into. There's still plenty of dialogue and such (these are roleplaying games, after all), but the action and gameplay are both huge improvements over ME1's. My ideal game would probably be ME1's story with ME2's action/gameplay, and maybe ME3's leveling system (which seems to give you more options than ME2's but isn't as complicated as ME1's).
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 08:15 PM   #29
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
It's weird. I'm kinda the opposite. Yeah, I love the combat. It's penty of fun, but the real flavor of the game and the world comes from the dialogue. The things I truly look forward to are not the next big battle, but the next chance to interact with the world, and decide what kind of person my Shepard is.

Heh, for me, it was the combat I had trouble with. I thought it was poorly implemented. What made it hard for me was the interface and how it was difficult to figure out which weapons or items were better than the ones you were using due to the dumbed down interface. So, I'd often die and wonder why or what I needed to do to improve myself if the interface wasn't properly conveying that information. So, while the game had a great universe, I feel the gameplay itself was deeply flawed. Didn't mind stopping and talking to people, but that's because I've come to expect it out of Bioware.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 11:58 PM   #30
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

No, Mass Effect is not the "next Star Wars". Neither was Avatar, Treasure Planet, or any other sci-fi film, or game that claimed to be so. The "next Star Wars" was Harry Potter.

What made Star Wars "Star Wars" wasn't the sci-fi or pseudo sci-fi setting. What made it "Star Wars" was the cultural impact and Mass Effect is a non existent blip in that regard.

I'm not even a big Harry Potter fan, but that had the closest cultural impact to Star Wars since Star Wars. People keep missing that because they assume that the "next Star Wars" is going to be "sci-fi".

It wasn't.