Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 20 2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Flying hours?

Today's pilots have to have so many flying hours per year (or month, not sure.)

Do the pilots of the Star Trek era have the same requirements. Would Picard, Riker and other members of the Senior Staff who pilot the ship or shuttles have the same requirements? Would Picard on occasion take the helm for the hell of it? I mean he could, he's the fracking Captain. Or would holodeck flight simulations count?

What do you guys think?

I think they should and do. Holodeck is fine by me, too.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 05:23 AM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Flying hours?

By the 24th century, a shuttlecraft is equivalent to a mini-van, they would receive a qualification when they were 16 years old and that would be it.

There would be some specialized Starfleet controls for weapons and such, but the basic controls would be just like the civilian models.

")
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 07:34 AM   #3
7thsealord
Captain

Actually, I think a periodic "re-certification" test would be entirely reasonable, for shuttles and possibly for other systems. There may be a number of approved options for how to go about this - holodeck training sims, field operations, "checkout flights" with a suitable observer, etc..

Law-enforcement officers are required to undergo periodic re-training and re-certification for firearms use. Also, yes, all the minivan drivers I ever heard of need to renew their licenses on occasion as well.
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re-new your license yes. But you don't have to re-qualify, you don't have to re-test.

")
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Eye tests are done every so often.

There have been pushes to have elderly drivers retest every so often, but the AARP is pretty strong, and the Constitution seems to be on their side. I wouldn't mind if ALL drivers had to retest every 10 years or 3 renewals (In Texas that'd be every 12 years.) That'd get around the argument that the AARP puts forth. We are violating the rights of the elderly by making them retest at a certain age. They wouldn't be singled out if everyone had to do it.

Let's face it, everyone could use a refresher course or test and there does come a time when you have to take the keys away from your parents.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old February 20 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
The Badger
Fleet Captain

In '100110000111' (or whatever it's called, the one where the Bynars nick the Enterprise), Picard takes the helm. As I recall, he says something like "It's been a while since I've done this." That suggests that he does not regularly fly the ship.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
7thsealord
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Re-new your license yes. But you don't have to re-qualify, you don't have to re-test.

")
Pilots do. Any aircraft is inherently far more dangerous than any minivan.

Think about it, The amount of mayhem a minivan can inflict is considerable but also comparitively limited. Plough full speed into a group of pedestrians or another crowded vehicle are about the worst case scenarios for them. Flying vehicles move a lot faster than any minivan, are frequently a lot bigger, carry a lot more volatile substances, and there is a much much greater range of bad things that can happen with or to them.

Plus, as has already been pointed out, drivers of ground vehicles are often required to undergo eye tests to retain their licenses, and may be restricted or even disqualified for a number of medical conditions.
Old February 20 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The Badger wrote: View Post
In '100110000111' (or whatever it's called, the one where the Bynars nick the Enterprise), Picard takes the helm. As I recall, he says something like "It's been a while since I've done this." That suggests that he does not regularly fly the ship.
In Booby Trap and Conundrum Picard took the helm with little difficulty. In Booby Trap, he did some expert flying.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old February 20 2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Pavonis
Commodore

And those episodes were after "11001001". Presumably Picard was rusty from his 9 year break (y'know, between Stargazer and Enterprise), and he reacquainted himself with helm control after the Bynar incident.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 11:25 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

")
You know in some countries your driving license can last 52 or so years before you have to renew it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 03:10 AM   #11
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

MacLeod wrote: View Post

")
You know in some countries your driving license can last 52 or so years before you have to renew it.
Drivers here are bad enough, and most states make you renew your license ever 4 or 5 years.

Can you tell me what countries these are so I can avoid them.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old February 21 2012, 03:15 AM   #12
JB2005
Commodore

")
Mine's due to expire in October 2061!
Old February 21 2012, 04:49 AM   #13
7thsealord
Captain

")
Undoubtedly, and I am pretty sure that those tend to be places where I want to stay the hell away from the roads.

Recall reading that, in Egypt, the driver license test comprises driving the vehicle thirty feet in a straight line. That's it. Might have changed since I read this, of course.
Old February 21 2012, 05:27 AM   #14
jayrath
Fleet Captain

What I want to know is:

Do they sign off as organ-donors on their Starship drivers licenses?
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:42 AM   #15
JB2005
Commodore

I can't think they'd need to, between bio-synthetic organs and cloned organs