Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 21 2012, 04:05 AM   #1
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Best/Worst of Season Four

Just like I did with the first three seasons, I wanted to do a best/worst episodes of season four thread. So, how would everyone rank season four?

Here is what my list looks like:

Excellent:
Year of Hell Part 1 and Part2

Very Good:
Concerning Flight
Hope and Fear
Revulsion
One
Prey
Hunters
Waking Moments
The Omega Directive
Scorpion Part 2
Living Witness

Average:
Day of Honor
Mortal Coil
Message in a Bottle
Retrospect
Unforgettable
The Gift
Scientific Method
Vis a Vis
Random Thoughts
Demon

Below Average:
Nemesis

Poor:
The Killing Game Part 1 and Part 2

Overall I enjoyed season 4 quite a bit. There may have only been two truly excellent episodes, IMO, but there were quite a few "very good" episodes that were almost as good. Only a couple real stinkers too. Definitely the best season of Voyager up to this point.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Note: In the "average" section the episodes are in no particular order, but in "very good" they are ranked from favorite to least favorite. I didn't care enough about the average episodes to rank them, lol.
Old February 21 2012, 04:26 AM   #2
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Re: Best/Worst of Season Four

FYI: You left off "The Raven"

I find season 4 to be the most consistently quality season with very few episodes that I actually dislike. The loss of Kes was felt strongest in this season, but also felt strongest was the freshness brought on by Seven of Nine who is my favorite character. Overall though this season clearly got a shot in the arm in terms of quality and a great new character.

Excellent
Message in a Bottle
Prey
Living Witness
Hope and Fear

Very Good
Scorpion Pt 2
The Gift
The Raven
Scientific Method
Year of Hell Pt I/II
Waking Moments
Retrospect
One

Good
Day of Honor
Nemesis
Random Thoughts
Mortal Coil
Hunters
The Killing Game pt I/II
The Omega Directive

Mediocre
Revulsion
Vis a Vis
Unforgettable
(I actually forgot to put it in the list and had to edit my post lol)

Poor
Concerning Flight
Demon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 04:33 AM   #3
AdmiralScreed
Captain

I fell asleep during Raven because I was completely exhausted from the day's work. I'll have to go back and watch it at some point. I can honestly only remember the first 10 minutes of it, so it wouldn't be fair for me to rank it.

And your list is interesting. I have to disagree with your placement of Revulsion and Concerning Flight, but you're welcome to your opinion, of course. What did you dislike about them?
Old February 21 2012, 04:34 AM   #4
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I didn't hate "Revulsion" or anything, it just didn't do anything for me and I felt it was a bit boring. I really don't like "Concerning Flight" on the other hand, the writing in it just seems really half-assed. Its neither funny, nor interesting for me.
Old February 21 2012, 04:45 AM   #5
AdmiralScreed
Captain

That's an interesting perspective. I thought Concerning Flight was very funny and entertaining, and I loved seeing Leonardo da Vinci on Star Trek. Those are some of the reasons why I placed it so highly on my list.
Old February 21 2012, 05:13 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Why you no like space nazis? WHY WHY?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:54 AM   #7
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Btw, you'll need to watch "The Raven" before watching "Dark Frontier"
Old February 21 2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Best episodes: Nemesis, Scorpion 2

Worst episode: The Gift

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at a new location soon!
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 12:33 PM   #9
lurok
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post

Why you no like space nazis? WHY WHY?

space nazis? wot space nazis?

Season 4 I really missed Kes but Seven grew on me, especially by end. Love YOH (natch), Living Witness and have a perverse affection for Scientific Method (I loved concept of crew being experimented on by invisible aliens; creepy). I'm with others who aren't as keen on Killing Game; nice idea well executed but do others think Hirogen never liked up to potential, unlike Jem Hadar? And they're more interesting than the JH. Worst episode def Nemesis (is that the one with Chuckles on the planet with teens? zzzzz)
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 02:32 PM   #10
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I find Season 4 is the finale season for Voyager. Seasons 5-7 sort of felt like flat pop. There were a couple of interesting episodes, but it felt like the crew and producers had just put "their feet on the desk" and were content to just let the show coat, while their energy was put into DS9's final season.

But some of my top Season 4 episodes are

The Gift
Hope And Fear
Living Witness
Year of Hell
The Raven

'Concerning Flight' I think was inspired by the Voyager novel "Violations", since the two stories are very similar.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 08:13 PM   #11
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I find Season 4 is the finale season for Voyager. Seasons 5-7 sort of felt like flat pop. There were a couple of interesting episodes, but it felt like the crew and producers had just put "their feet on the desk" and were content to just let the show coat, while their energy was put into DS9's final season.
Different people were doing VOY and DS9, so that's really not the case.
Old February 22 2012, 04:03 AM   #12
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

Excellent:
The Raven
Year of Hell, Part I/II
Hope and Fear (one of the best season finales in Star Trek as a whole. Told a great self-contained story and without needing to use a cliffhanger. Arturis was a great villain too)

Very Good:
Scorpion, Part II
Waking Moments
Message in a Bottle
Hunters (Hirogen were visually impressive and were one of the best races introduced by Voyager)
Prey
The Omega Directive
Living Witness
One

Average:
Nemesis
Scientific Method
Concerning Flight (does a bunch of interesting things, title meaning is a bit of a mystery though)
Mortal Coil
The Killing Game, Parts I & II (for a glorified holodeck episode, it would be well-above average though. At the core it's interesting, the Alpha Hirogen trying to save his civilization from a gradual extinction, the ship having been taken over by the enemy, Janeway needing to essentially barter her way out and not really having the position to dictate the terms and some of the role-playing. The bad, Nazis were cliched by the '90s, though Hirogen Nazi wasn't nearly as bad as the space Nazis of ENT. Throughout TKG, it came off like the Hirogen were mimicking the role of Nazis awkwardly, more wearing the costumes and playing along whereas the Space Nazis were portayed as the Nazis of a Temporal War. Part 2 did feel a little like a D-Day for storming the beaches, err, corridors of Voyager though. Chuckles was suited for that role It was like a giant role-playing story, only the brainwashed VOY crew were acting for real and the Hirogen were only playing their roles thinly)
Unforgettable (a bit slow, but some good writing and an interesting concept)

Below Average:
Day of Honor (more dull than truly below average)
Random Thoughts
Vis à Vis
Demon (love "Course: Oblivion", don't hate this episode with the passion others do. Its decent, just a bit dull though uses some interesting concepts)

Poor:
The Gift (doesn't make sense and feels literally like them rushing Kes out the door. Ah, I see Lynx has already posted. I figured "The Gift" would be one episode she'd place as worst)
Revulsion
Retrospect
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 04:39 AM   #13
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

Not remotely the case. Paramount started to duplicate/expand the Star Trek crew for the fission of dividing into 2 series, TNG & DS9. Some TNG staff left for DS9 when it launched, others stayed and eventually went to Voyager. But sometimes DS9 staff left for Voyager. In terms of directors of photography...
Marvin Rush handled TNG Seasons 3-5, went to DS9 for Seasons 1-2 then handled all of Voyager & Enterprise. Most of that Star Trek "look/style" in terms of how episodes were filmed was all him.
Jonathan West handled TNG Seasons 6-7 then went to DS9 for Seasons 3-7.

As for writers, among the TNG Season 6-7 personnel that split, Ron Moore & Rene Echevarria went to DS9, Brannon Braga & Joe Menosky went to Voyager. Among producers, Rick Berman & Jeri Taylor went to Voyager. Berman & Pillar were the top producers together til Pillar left in 1996. Berman took a more active hand in Voyager. Might've been personal preference, might've been the perceived threat (see below), making him leave DS9 more to the discretion of the top writing team (Behr & Wolfe then Beimler).

Berman said of Voyager, Paramount was going to create it with or without him (and Pillar et al). It seems Paramount wanted a Star Trek series to be the flagship for UPN and didn't want to shift over an established show (DS9)/they wanted something new and/or they wanted a starship show not a space station show for that network. Because of Paramount, there was going to be a 3rd TNG era Star Trek show in 1995. It seems he felt more studio involvement/meddling might occur in Star Trek at Voyager via its placement on a network co-owned by Paramount so focused his attention there. Syndicated shows overall have far less meddling as there's no network and stations are just 1 of many. Declining ratings can trigger the studios to meddle though. Voyager was the highest rated show on UPN in Seasons 1-5, 2nd in Seasons 6-7 after wrestling. The suits had to balance meddling in reaction to its declining ratings (though all UPN shows had declining ratings) vs. not screwing Voyager up with their meddling and ruining the only decently rated show on UPN (decent for 5th/6th place network, not for Big 4).
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Excellent:
The Gift
Scorpion Part 2

Very Good:
Day of Honor
Mortal Coil
Hope and Fear
Revulsion
One
Prey
Hunters
Waking Moments
Message in a Bottle
Scientific Method

Average:
Year of Hell Part 1 and Part2
Concerning Flight
Nemesis
Retrospect
Living Witness
The Omega Directive
Random Thoughts

Below Average:
Demon
Unforgettable
Vis a Vis
The Killing Game Part 1 and Part 2

Poor:
None
Old February 23 2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Season Four is easily the best one thus far, with almost 70% of the episodes being above average and only 2 of them being below average....

Excellent:

Mortal Coil
Message in a Bottle
Hunters
Prey
Retrospect
The Omega Directive

Good:
Scorpion, Part II
Day of Honor
Revulsion
The Raven