RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,635
Posts: 5,427,606
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 515
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

So I recently bought the set with Star Trek 1-6 in their two-disc special editions. Have yet to watch any of them but am happy to finally own them all. Anyone else have this set and enjoy the first six feature films? This set may not be the in thing or available everywhere now with the new sleeker modern versions, but I prefer these editions over those.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
So I recently bought the set with Star Trek 1-6 in their two-disc special editions. Have yet to watch any of them but am happy to finally own them all. Anyone else have this set and enjoy the first six feature films? This set may not be the in thing or available everywhere now with the new sleeker modern versions, but I prefer these editions over those.
I own them but prefer the blu-rays. They have a crisper picture and are the original theatrical cuts.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 01:54 AM   #3
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Are there deleted scenes on the Blu-Rays, like for The Wrath of Kahn they show the scenes that the ABC version showed? I'm still debating whether to get the blu-rays or not, since it would be considered double dipping, even though I only own the original discs of Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, First Contact, and don't even own Nemesis.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 05:08 AM   #4
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Nope, only the theatrical editions are on blu. No extra scenes in the films themselves and only TMP has deleted scenes in the bonus features.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 05:10 AM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

I easily prefer the theatrical versions of TMP and TWOK. The others (i.e. TUC), I'm not as opinionated about.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Without doubt, the theatrical cut of TWOK is superior - I was delighted it was chosen for the BD.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

I always prefer the versions I fell in love with and since I saw all the Trek movies on Da Big Screen, I'm thrilled with the Blu-Ray versions. Although, I do love the DE of TMP. Nick Meyer's added scenes in both of his films add very little that is positive to the experience for me. However, I do recognize that all the versions should have been made available on the discs. There's room for them all. Ah well, there will be some double dippin' in time for the next movie no doubt.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Nope, only the theatrical editions are on blu. No extra scenes in the films themselves and only TMP has deleted scenes in the bonus features.
That kind of sucks. I've actually never seen the ABC version of TWOK, so I've only heard about scotty's nephew scene. I do like that the theatrical versions are there, but since it is blu-ray, I thought we were going to get a lot of extra/good stuff. Sounds like that's not the case.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Not in the current editions, no, but you can bet your Mego Action Figure Collection that they will release them all eventually. Although the DE of TMP might be problematical, unless they redo the new effects in higher resolution.

I held onto my DVDs of TMP, TWOK, and TUC because of the additional scenes (een though, honestly, I hate the extra stuff in Trek 6).
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

I think the original takes selected for TWOK's theatrical release are generally better than the alternate ones sporting the additional dialog. The delivery of the lines is snappier somehow. It's not a fair trade just to get the additional dialog.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm still debating whether to get the blu-rays or not, since it would be considered double dipping
By whom, your mother?

What's so evil about "double dipping"? Revamping DVDs and BluRays, adding new bonus features, redesigning packaging, adding new commentaries: it's how they keep the ST movies "in print". Otherwise they'd gather dust in stores and slip into obscurity forever.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 03:53 AM   #12
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think the original takes selected for TWOK's theatrical release are generally better than the alternate ones sporting the additional dialog. The delivery of the lines is snappier somehow. It's not a fair trade just to get the additional dialog.
I prefer the ABC version of the scene in Spacelab when they decide to leave. The dialog seems to flow better and feels more natural.
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 06:23 AM   #13
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm still debating whether to get the blu-rays or not, since it would be considered double dipping
By whom, your mother?

What's so evil about "double dipping"? Revamping DVDs and BluRays, adding new bonus features, redesigning packaging, adding new commentaries: it's how they keep the ST movies "in print". Otherwise they'd gather dust in stores and slip into obscurity forever.
Well, there is the cost, but who is taking consideration of that?
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Not in the current editions, no, but you can bet your Mego Action Figure Collection that they will release them all eventually. Although the DE of TMP might be problematical, unless they redo the new effects in higher resolution.

I held onto my DVDs of TMP, TWOK, and TUC because of the additional scenes (een though, honestly, I hate the extra stuff in Trek 6).
I still wish they could have restored the presidential civilian advisors pushing for war, you can still see them in the office when they are watching the trial, and some of the longer dinner scene.

I remember reading that the first cut of the dinner scene was 35 minuets long and that alot of the actors were disappointed with the final edit because it cut a lot of stuff.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 11:38 PM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Well, there is the cost, but who is taking consideration of that?
It's not as if you're spending the money all at once. Double-dip re-releases are usually years apart, and the old, supposedly "rare", versions usually hold their RRP (or much more) on eBay.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
the first cut of the dinner scene was 35 minuets long and that alot of the actors were disappointed with the final edit because it cut a lot of stuff.
What it really needed was a three-hour debate over the rescue of the Andorian ambassador from the surface of Sylax IV.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.