TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 7 2014, 10:01 AM   #586
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

No word. The promotional image on Yamato2199.net has Yamato on it heading towards the camera with a nebula or star cluster behind it. It is suppose to be a new story, not a rehash of the 26 episodes in a single film.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 04:07 AM   #587
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Decided to go with the BDs on this series after all. I really hope one of these things comes with a series box.... *crosses fingers*
Old February 18 2014, 02:15 AM   #588
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I'd be more inclined to get the cheaper dvd's myself. It's just my opinion, but the high bitrate of BR while fine for live action film, just seems like overkill for 2D animation where theres only so much detail visible.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:20 PM   #589
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Star Blazers 2199 (volume One) is now avalble for sale in North America.
Old February 28 2014, 11:48 PM   #590
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Just got mine delivered today. Been looking forward to this for 2 years...
Old March 1 2014, 01:18 AM   #591
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Just got mine delivered today. Been looking forward to this for 2 years...
In the U.S. version subtitles, are they using the Japanese names:

"Yamato"
"Susumu Kodai"
"Yuki Mori"

or is it the "Starblazers" names:

"Argo"
"Derek Wildstar"
"Nova"

??

(Just curious, as I already have the 7 Blu-Ray Disc set from japan, which have honestly well done English subtitles by the Japanese (but definitely translated by someone with a excellent working knowledge of the English language))
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:55 AM   #592
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

The only Americanization of this version that I can tell so far is the Star Blazers title. All the character names are in the original Japanese.

Seen eps 1&2 already and they are bloody AMAZING, BTW.

Or as the kids say these days, cray-cray amaze-balls!

Now THIS is how you do a reboot.
Old March 1 2014, 03:11 AM   #593
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Let us know how they handle the translations through to episode 4. Most of the regular words would have been used by then for comparison.

As far as I know they only changed the title, and everything else is just like Yamato 2199.
Old March 1 2014, 04:38 AM   #594
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I don't know Japanese so I don't know if the translations are absolutely dead-on but I can say with certainty that I can fully understand what's going on with the subtitling so far. There have been no "all you base" moments at all. Whoever they got to do them, they did a great job.
Old March 1 2014, 06:07 AM   #595
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

It is more a question on if any of the proper nouns seem different from what you think they would be from prior experiance.
Old March 1 2014, 05:02 PM   #596
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well I did notice the old "space knots" from the original as a measure of speed has been changed to the more ambiguous "S-knots". They also mention "Cosmo Speed" as another unit of velocity, which I don't remember from before. I really like how the Gamilas have different names for our planets. Their names elude me, but they refer to Jupiter (Kubilli, I think) and Saturn differently than us, which makes total sense. Why would they use human names for worlds?

The wave engine and wave motion gun are all the same and Okita actually has an internal debate with himself over the gun's use - their primary mission being the preservation of earth and not of the complete destruction of Gamilas. The power of the gun really gave everyone pause when they wiped out the floating continent, since they were only aiming for the Gamilas base at its center.

The first warp scene is really good, and I liked the pilots playing darts during the warp. It's one of those things that I always liked about DS9 and NuBSG - predominantly Ron Moore's writing style, as well as Joss Whedon with Firefly and SHIELD, showing seemingly innocuous and generally unnecessary scenes of everyday life below decks with lesser characters to add flavor to the overall story quality. And I'm enjoying the initial tension between Kodai and Yuki. The whole story is brilliantly written so far.

I am amused at the Japanese use of an American trope, however. In the scene on Pluto where they find Kodai's brother's crashed ship, the Gamilas send robot people to go after the humans. IIRC, the American version of the original occasionally changed Gamilon soldiers into robots (or maybe it was the tank drivers from the Comet Empire - can't remember) so they didn't have our heroes killing other living beings every week, while the original Japanese had them as real people. In this version, we actually do see robots being used as soldiers controlled remotely.
Old March 1 2014, 10:00 PM   #597
publiusr
Commodore

I enjoy how complex anime ships are depected. I'd love to see the artists do refit era Trek starships to see how elaborate they would be with them
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:16 AM   #598
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I can't imagine that they'd resub the series. Seems needless since the original subs were perfectly fine.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:19 PM   #599
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

As far as anyone can tell, they just used the Yamato 2199 subs as they already exist.
Old March 4 2014, 12:16 AM   #600
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Which is awesome! I was highly concerned that they might retranslate some things for American audiences, and possibly "dumbing it down". Calling Yamato the Argo, using the American names like Wildstar, Nova, Avatar, etc. Very happy to see that was not the case, aside from the title heading in the beginning if the show.