Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2013, 03:34 AM   #556
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Last I heard, Voyager may be doing it, hopefully with minimal changes. It will probably take a while to get here, though.
If it's them, our wallets are in for some serious raping. I looked what they're selling the previous Starblazers stuff for.
Old November 4 2013, 08:20 PM   #557
Ithekro
Captain

Which basically means there is going to be little way to avoid spending a bit on the series. I have the last chapter now and I can say it was worth it.

Voyager Entertainment is attempting to sell the show in North America for television distribution. The reported problem with that is that the Japan show's format is likely incompatable with American TV commercial slots. You have a show that is usually 23 and a half minutes long up to 27 or more minutes long, each formated for one commercial break. This would be highly modified to fit into a 18 to 22 minute slot worth of content with two commercial breaks. Even on Japanese TV the longer episodes were trimmed down by a minute or two and had the ending credits and song run over the final scenes of the episode.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 03:27 AM   #558
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Selling it on the basis of nostalgia probably will not work.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:46 AM   #559
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Just finished this myself, and yeah I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. I would love to see this show go on to cover the rest of the original material or maybe just end with this. Either would work for me.
Old December 1 2013, 03:49 PM   #560
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Which basically means there is going to be little way to avoid spending a bit on the series. I have the last chapter now and I can say it was worth it.

Voyager Entertainment is attempting to sell the show in North America for television distribution. The reported problem with that is that the Japan show's format is likely incompatable with American TV commercial slots. You have a show that is usually 23 and a half minutes long up to 27 or more minutes long, each formated for one commercial break. This would be highly modified to fit into a 18 to 22 minute slot worth of content with two commercial breaks. Even on Japanese TV the longer episodes were trimmed down by a minute or two and had the ending credits and song run over the final scenes of the episode.
Especially when you take a look at how long commercial breaks are here in the US. Its about 10mins of commercials for a 30min show. That means the the opening is cut along with the ending and any bits in between that is considered irrelevant to the story or to conform to the FCC regulation concerning cartoon content.

Cartoon Network would be the best bet to air it on TV here. And it would have to be on Toonami. Or it goes to a station like Stars. Or IFC (they had anime on in its original uncut format like Vandread and a few others). I can not remember the channel that had Chrono Crusade on it. I think it was Stars though.

Like I said the best bet is for it be on a channel that would not allow it to be cut to much just because of the FCC rules and Advertisers.
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 07:38 PM   #561
Ithekro
Captain

However there was an announcement today that might (might) make it cheaper to get in 2014.

http://starblazers.com/article/star-...c-new-release/

It seems Yamato 2199 will be getting a United States release under the Star Blazers 2199 label. These will be DVDs and Blu-rays that will be subtitled in English and Spanish. These are not dubbed. But they should be cheaper than getting the BD from Japan.

Details are unknown save for preorder starting on December 19th and them starting to be sold in February.
Old December 2 2013, 12:43 AM   #562
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Here's hoping it's a GITS Arise style sub only release instead of being the final, end all, be all release.
Old December 4 2013, 04:01 AM   #563
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Hmm....I'm not really a big fan of sub-only releases personally, especially since I thought they'd signed Bang Zoom on for this, but I'd definitely consider it.
Old December 4 2013, 07:52 PM   #564
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
Hmm....I'm not really a big fan of sub-only releases personally, especially since I thought they'd signed Bang Zoom on for this, but I'd definitely consider it.
They probably commissioned them to dub the first (or first couple of episodes) so that they'd have something to show perspective clients, with an option in place to dub the rest when they secured a broadcast contract with a channel.

Honestly though - as someone who owns all 7 Japanese Blu-Rays of the remake which honestly did have a good English sub-titled track on it (IE the sub-titles were well done and appeared to be done by someone with a good grasp on the English language); I really wonder what Voyager Ent. is going to do, other than re-release those masters on the U.S. market with an English disc menu and different packaging.

I mean are they really going to redo the sub-titles using old Star Blazer style character and ship names? If so, ugh.

(And as I already own a good, original sub-titled set; no reason for me to pick up the 'Starblazers 2199' version anyway.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 08:40 PM   #565
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

It looks like the prices for the US release are up:
http://starblazers.com/article/star-...sday-12192013/
45 bucks for the BD, spread out across 6 volumes, with the last volume being more expensive because it will presumably have more episodes/material.

On the one hand, it's half price from the JP release... on the other hand, this is such a dumb way to release something in 2013 for the North American market.

I *almost* understand Funimation and Sentai doing their split season releases. But this new Japanese model of trying the volume release thing again here is getting out of hand.

Of course, if there's an easy way to buy this in Canada, I'd probably do it... so I guess I have no principles.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 02:32 AM   #566
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I wonder if they'll be releasing a full box set after Volume 6 becomes available. I hate to wait a whole other year for this, but it may be worth it in the long run.

In the meantime, here's hoping it shows up on Netflix or one of the anime apps.
Old December 8 2013, 02:55 AM   #567
Ithekro
Captain

As far as I know they don't do box set like that normally. They might sell a box at the end for you to fill with the earlier discs, but not a full box set.

And even if they did, it won't be cheaper.
Old December 26 2013, 08:18 PM   #568
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Has anyone heard any NEW info on the movie that is supposedly coming out in 2014?
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 09:16 AM   #569
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

RangerH wrote: View Post
Has anyone heard any NEW info on the movie that is supposedly coming out in 2014?
People are saying that it's not a movie, but a complete reboot of the second season being "aired" in the same way as 2199.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 06:25 PM   #570
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
RangerH wrote: View Post
People are saying that it's not a movie, but a complete reboot of the second season being "aired" in the same way as 2199.
That would make my day, (although I had read the producer of the original 'Journey to Iscandar' retelling wasn't planning on doing this for the 'Comet Empire' storyline); that said, I'll wait until we have confirmation on what it will be from an official source.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote