RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,180
Posts: 5,435,713
Members: 24,947
Currently online: 528
Newest member: CaptainJaymez

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 12 2013, 06:33 AM   #256
Ithekro
Fleet Captain
 
Ithekro's Avatar
 
Location: Republic of California
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Well save that they had said they intended to air Yamato 2199 in 2013.

This remake is also not even close to being a rerun of the 1974 show. There is just too much different to consider that. I've heard this called the best remake ever as it improves on the original rather than dumbs it down to make it flashy like so many Hollywood remakes.

What it does have is a big name, and high sales from the theaters and BD sales. Essentally they are going about it in reverse of normal. Instead of TV, BD, Movie, they are going Movie, BD, TV.

If they maintain their current release pattern, the last "film" will come out around the same time the last episodes are suppose to air (depending on when in April they start). Maybe they will release Chapter 7 sooner? Maybe they will delay the episode releases until the "film" is out? We don't know yet.

We know that by the time the show starts airing on TV they will have 18 episodes done. By the current pattern they will have Chapter 6 done before they reach those episodes in August. The question is if they will have Chapter 7 done by September rather than October. Again depending on when in April they start (traditionally the first week or two, but some stations start later than others).
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 06:48 AM   #257
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Was it always planned for TV? My impression is that they went with this release schedule half because they probably couldn't keep the pace of a weekly schedule (we already had a casualty from last season where they couldn't keep up and had to air two recaps in place of new episodes). But I have no idea.

As for being a good remake... I've only watched the Yamato anime movies, so I can't really speak to the quality of the show as a remake... but the anime-isms (namely the nurse character) must be part of the appeal. It's the equivalent of Mari in the new Eva movies!
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 07:58 PM   #258
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Ithekro wrote: View Post
This remake is also not even close to being a rerun of the 1974 show. There is just too much different to consider that. I've heard this called the best remake ever as it improves on the original rather than dumbs it down to make it flashy...
^^^
That pretty much sums up my take on Yamato 2199; and it's honestly why I enjoy it so much (while still being a fan of the original 1973 version too.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:36 AM   #259
Ithekro
Fleet Captain
 
Ithekro's Avatar
 
Location: Republic of California
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Heavy improvements to the mecha are one draw. Massive space battles were a draw before, but improving on it makes it rather impressive. The Battle of Pluto was exciting in the new version. While the original also had feeling to it, it was not exciting as a battle. Yamato's weapons are similar to how they were before, but the effects make them appear even more impressive. Add to this what was shown in the Chapter 4 preview of the Gamilas Fleet vs. the Comet Empire Fleets, and you get what is basically mecha fanservice. Glorious mecha fanservice.

The deeper story for the Gamilas is another. Before they were kind of generic enemies that were not quite evil, but you generally didn't care what happened to them. (At least not until the second season when we started to care about Dessler). Now they have families, dreams, goals, and personalities the audiance can relate too. One can actually feel sorry for Schultz and his men. We didn't feel sorry for them in the original. They were the bumbling underlings originally. Now they are just unlucky to have to face Yamato first without any real knowledge about it. They were clever, but just not prepared to deal with something like that. Dessler comes off as a good leader from the start. Some of his generals seem alright. Dommel gets to show off his tactical leadership in battle the first time we see him. We are waiting to see how they do the Galman Wulf sub commander, who was one of the cooler characters of the Yamato III series.

Adding more women helps as well as there was always the complaint of Yuki being the only woman on a ship full of men and doing pretty much every non-combat job on the ships, from food planning, to away mission specialist, to radar operator, to nurse, to ship's activities planner, and laundry. She did practically every job on that ship at least once. Now they've spread some of her larger tasks up (radar operator, analysis, nurse, fighter pilot (live action film)).

While the Nurse (Makoto) certainly has fanservice appeal, it seems to be Yamamoto that is getting the most attention after Yuki. Yuria and Niimi seem to be getting stories as well in the next two Chapters, with Makoto still being mostly just the nurse that cares about how others feel.

The story this time around is faster paced and things seems to have moved on faster while still telling the same amount of story, while adding even more to it. That would sound impossible until you think that the original was sort of slow paced for the first half of the series with several redundant episodes that basically told a similar tale a second time, or there was a lot of narration about the story so far, or the place they were going (some of which is now quite wrong since space exporation has come a long ways since 1974). With a lot of that either cut out, or the explainations handed over to the characters, the pacing is faster with less redundancy.

Since episode 7, the story has drifted farther away from the original stories. They were about the same for the first six episodes, with some differences, but seven was were things really started to change. Sure they are still going to the same place for the same reason, but how they go about it and what happens along the way are changing. You might find a new episode's plot to be similar to one of the older plots, but things are becoming more and more different. We have had one story that is nothing like any previous plot, and one that is only marginally similar to two or three other plots while being a completely different story (using an element of an other story with an element of another story, and then making a new plot that has those elements within it).

Take episode 10 for example: There are elements of three stories from before in there.
A. A captured Gamilon pilot (first time humans have seen the Gamilas in person).
B. Trapped in a Space Graveyard
C. Trapped in a region of space with one Gamilas ship that shows them the way out (though that was not on purpose in the original)
These elements are combined and altered so that only the elements are similar to the original series. You have Yamato get trapped in a weird dimentional pocket that is a ship's graveyard, with one Gamilas ship that can help them escape. To foster confidence with the humans, a lone pilot is sent to do face to face meeting (first human contact with a Gamilas citizen). Those are the use of those elements, but the story is not like any of the three episodes those elements were from originally.

So it is the same...but also very different. And it works.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 09:06 AM   #260
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Not much I can add to Ithekro's comment. I pretty much agree with everything. Its basically the same story updated for 21st century sensibilities. Even though I confess I'm not too fond of the men getting spiffy uniforms while most of the women get stuck with those yellow thong bodysuit things. Ah well, just something we have to tolerate in the name of fan service I suppose.

I love that instead of redesigning everything they've basically updated the ships and uniforms just enough so that they don't look dated and silly by modern standards. I wonder if they're going to redo the old bee people episode?

I confess that since anime switched to cg coloring, I've hated the tendency for shows to have a wierd soft focus, blurry look. Not here. Everything is perfectly clear, and it seems like they've gone out of their way to make it look like old school cel animation.

If it weren't for the whole "Destroying Earth with meteor bombs" thing, I could find the Gamilas quite admirable. Allowing conquered people to become citizens and even officers in the empire seems a lot like the old Roman Empire.

Good to hear the shows doing well. Makes the odds better that we'll get a second series. Hell they're already making references.
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:18 PM   #261
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Is there a split in the franchise somewhere?

The last animated movies point to a "Next Generation" for the ship, but obviously those plans were shelved with the remake...
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:29 PM   #262
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Is there a split in the franchise somewhere?

The last animated movies point to a "Next Generation" for the ship, but obviously those plans were shelved with the remake...
IIRC, the movie franchise wound up concluding the story of the original Yamato franchise, so that was all tapped out before they decided to reboot the franchise.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Not much I can add to Ithekro's comment. I pretty much agree with everything. Its basically the same story updated for 21st century sensibilities. Even though I confess I'm not too fond of the men getting spiffy uniforms while most of the women get stuck with those yellow thong bodysuit things. Ah well, just something we have to tolerate in the name of fan service I suppose.
What's really funny is that the Yamato uniforms kinda look lamer than the ones everyone wore before they got on the ship. But I am so thankful they have more than three uniform colors and crew divisions. I wish Star Trek could take a page out of Yamato's book there.

I confess that since anime switched to cg coloring, I've hated the tendency for shows to have a wierd soft focus, blurry look. Not here. Everything is perfectly clear, and it seems like they've gone out of their way to make it look like old school cel animation.
I think the soft focus might have been due to the digital tape masters those shows used for broadcast/DVD releases, as seen with the TNG and some anime remasters (including Cowboy Bebop). Low quality tape usually makes everything look like shit.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:41 PM   #263
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

bullethead wrote: View Post
But I am so thankful they have more than three uniform colors and crew divisions. I wish Star Trek could take a page out of Yamato's book there.
They did when they used the TWOK uniforms.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:24 AM   #264
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I don't know if it's a spoiler, but it's fair to say that the last movie essentially gets rid of the old crew and introduces an entirely new cast and sets up a new villain anyway. But I figure that's probably not going anywhere since people seem to be buying this at a decent rate.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 12:26 PM   #265
Ithekro
Fleet Captain
 
Ithekro's Avatar
 
Location: Republic of California
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

From my understanding there were three projects setup in the late 00s. A Sequel movie trilogy. A live action movie, and a remake of the original series.

Supposedly the remake was suppose to air first, but it got technical and more detailed than whoever though the idea up originally thought. The sequel film (Yamato Resurrection) came out first in 2009 (It had been in development hell since the early 90s). This film takes place about 17 years after "Final Yamato" and has mostly a new crew. There is reportedly a "Part Two" in production.

Then the Live Action movie came out in 2010. No suggestion of a sequel to that was ever announced, nor does one seem likely.

Then in 2012 and 2013, the remake of the first series comes out. Yamato 2199 is doing fairly well so far.

And yes they will visit the Bee Planet again in Chapter 5, but the story is going to be a whole lot different. Something about ancient civilizations and subspace portals or warp gates from the tiny paragraph on the episodes.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:57 PM   #266
therealsb63
Lieutenant
 
therealsb63's Avatar
 
Location: Southern CT, USA
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Ithekro wrote: View Post
From my understanding there were three projects setup in the late 00s. A Sequel movie trilogy. A live action movie, and a remake of the original series.

Supposedly the remake was suppose to air first, but it got technical and more detailed than whoever though the idea up originally thought. The sequel film (Yamato Resurrection) came out first in 2009 (It had been in development hell since the early 90s). This film takes place about 17 years after "Final Yamato" and has mostly a new crew. There is reportedly a "Part Two" in production.

Then the Live Action movie came out in 2010. No suggestion of a sequel to that was ever announced, nor does one seem likely.

Then in 2012 and 2013, the remake of the first series comes out. Yamato 2199 is doing fairly well so far.

And yes they will visit the Bee Planet again in Chapter 5, but the story is going to be a whole lot different. Something about ancient civilizations and subspace portals or warp gates from the tiny paragraph on the episodes.
Ithekro, whatever happened to that live action movie? I've never seen anything about it being released on disc here in the US, though I've read there's copies available in other countries...?

__________________
Never keep a Vulcan waiting...I am the real starbase63...accept no substitutes.
therealsb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:37 AM   #267
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Assuming its not a rights issue, I wonder if anyone is even interested in releasing it here?

Seems like if it's not Martial Arts or by a well known Asian director, no one touches Asian films.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:51 AM   #268
Ithekro
Fleet Captain
 
Ithekro's Avatar
 
Location: Republic of California
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Best guess is no American company was interested enough. Or maybe there was some other issue, but most of it was probably money rather than legal issues with rights holders since that doesn't seem to be an issue even if there is talk of a Star Blazers live action film from time to time.

I know that there are English subtitles from Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.

Reportedly the main actor's contract did say something about his voice not being dubbed over, but I guess the Spanish and Germans don't care about that. Perhaps it is an English only thing.

I know the Japanese BD will work on an American BD player, but doesn't have English subtitles for the live action movie.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:55 AM   #269
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral
 
zakkrusz's Avatar
 
Location: The Wired
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Well there's always the unscrupulous method to locate it too. It is floating around out there, English subbed.
__________________
"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
—Yang Wen-li-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:59 AM   #270
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

therealsb63 wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
From my understanding there were three projects setup in the late 00s. A Sequel movie trilogy. A live action movie, and a remake of the original series.

Supposedly the remake was suppose to air first, but it got technical and more detailed than whoever though the idea up originally thought. The sequel film (Yamato Resurrection) came out first in 2009 (It had been in development hell since the early 90s). This film takes place about 17 years after "Final Yamato" and has mostly a new crew. There is reportedly a "Part Two" in production.

Then the Live Action movie came out in 2010. No suggestion of a sequel to that was ever announced, nor does one seem likely.

Then in 2012 and 2013, the remake of the first series comes out. Yamato 2199 is doing fairly well so far.

And yes they will visit the Bee Planet again in Chapter 5, but the story is going to be a whole lot different. Something about ancient civilizations and subspace portals or warp gates from the tiny paragraph on the episodes.
Ithekro, whatever happened to that live action movie? I've never seen anything about it being released on disc here in the US, though I've read there's copies available in other countries...?

A passable all-regions version of the DVD from Sarawak Media Corp. was being sold by an outfit called "LOTO-SURPLUS" on Amazon.
__________________
Thank you very much for your concern, sir, but he does not need your religion, he has science and socialism and birthdays.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.