Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 24 2012, 08:50 PM   #76
ares93
Commodore

Re: What are your gas prices?

Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
ares93 wrote: View Post
Dear god, 87 octane? What kind of crap is that? Impure and ungodly filth from hell!
Some of us like our gasoline "Chunky Style".
If I may ask, what the hell do you drive? 'Cause my mam's Astra sounded like an asthmatic elephant with a car up its arse when she filled it up with 87 octane. And that bloody thing even runs on shitty romanian petrol.

I dont even want to think about what my merc would do if i ran it on 87octane. Its mapped on 102 octane race fuel. Barely runs on 95.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 08:56 PM   #77
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

87 works fine in some engines, and is crappy in others. Don't put 87 in a Mercedes or a BMW, but it's no problem at all in a Chevy or a Honda.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 09:43 PM   #78
ares93
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
87 works fine in some engines, and is crappy in others. Don't put 87 in a Mercedes or a BMW, but it's no problem at all in a Chevy or a Honda.
Its not a matter of brands, its a matter of how the car is mapped and the engine's performance. Mine runs like crap even on 95 octane, but that's because its mapped running 102 octane race fuel. Besides, i gotta feed the 370 ponies... I doubt 87 octane would be a problem for my mates 89bhp Dacia Sandero. Still, that 87 octane crap gives me the chills.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
Old February 24 2012, 10:00 PM   #79
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Keep it mind that North America uses a different octane rating than Europe. The NA number is typically 4-5 points lower for the same type of fuel.
Old February 24 2012, 10:03 PM   #80
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, my (American) car runs fine on 87. Why the fuck do I want to pay 10 cents more a gallon for 89? It doesn't really do much for my fuel economy.
Old February 24 2012, 10:05 PM   #81
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The highest octane rating I've ever seen is 94, at least outside of avgas.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 10:55 PM   #82
ares93
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
The highest octane rating I've ever seen is 94, at least outside of avgas.
Yeah, Iasus is right about the octane rating. I totally missed that and i've owned american cars in the past. Silly me... Still, european rated 87 octane exists. Utter rubbish.

As for octane ratings, down i skåne, you can find 91 octane as well. But 95, 98 and 100 are the most common. The 102 octane fuel i use is specially made for motorsport. My team is sponsored so we get an almost unlimited supply, but i cant always get away with using it for personal business. I usually mix it with normal 95 octane.
Old February 25 2012, 05:03 PM   #83
ed629
Rear Admiral

$3.65-3.68 a gallon around here, at 17mpg and around 400-450 miles a week, adds up fast.
ed629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 07:04 PM   #84
Marten
Captain

I don't buy gas, since I don't drive, but if I did, it would cost about 8$ per gallon.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 08:14 PM   #85
SG-17
Commodore

$3.68 to $3.79 as of this morning depending on location. Its funny, I could drive down the street and get gas for $3.79 or I could drive a half a mile and get gas for $3.68.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 05:09 AM   #86
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

I hear it $1.40+ ($5.30 a gallon) a liter in Vancouver , there was a fire at the BP refinery in Washington)
Pretty soon our piggy bank will look like this.
Old February 26 2012, 06:44 AM   #87
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Marten wrote: View Post
I don't buy gas, since I don't drive, but if I did, it would cost about 8$ per gallon.
Sweden right? Actual as I understand it (correct me please), for the fuel itself you're paying about the same we are in the States. The difference is, I'm paying an additional 15 cents a liter in taxes, on top of the cost of the fuel, while you are paying an additional (about) 77 cents a liter in taxes (five kronas?). If I figured it right.

Long before eight dollars a gallon, Americans would start pulling our politicians out of office.

")
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 08:31 AM   #88
ares93
Commodore

Yeah, the base price is around 5.20SEK, but the final price is around 14.40 a liter. It might be interesting to know that we actually pay taxes on the taxes.
Old February 26 2012, 08:33 AM   #89
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

$3.79 a gallon here, for 87 (Regular). I used my Kroger card and got it for $3.69 a gallon.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 08:47 AM   #90
nightwind1
Commodore

Here in Iowa, it's about 3.47/gallon. The midwest is usually cheaper than almost the entire rest of the country for some reason.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote