RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Posts: 5,213,560
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 733
Newest member: meshman63


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 11 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
TrickyDickie
Commodore
 
Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Good Luck to all!

TrickyDickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 03:28 AM   #2
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Doesn’t look like Richard Datin. Is it Volmer Jensen?
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Looks too small the be the 11' model. Maybe the Phase II ship? Don Loos?
__________________
* * *
“The absence of limitations is the enemy of art.”
― Orson Welles
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

That's Thomas Townsend Brown. And that saucer is not from Star Trek.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Kelso wrote: View Post
That's Thomas Townsend Brown. And that saucer is not from Star Trek.
Thank you. I didn't know who Brown was, but here's some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Townsend_Brown

Apparently he was a researcher in a fringe-science field called electro-gravitic propulsion, and that's supposedly one of his prototype flying discs.

I think people today tend to forget the extent to which the original Enterprise design was inspired by the "flying saucer" imagery that was pervasive in the mass media of the '50s and '60s. So when we see something that was independently modeled on the flying saucer image, we see the Enterprise in it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 08:31 PM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Christopher wrote: View Post

I think people today tend to forget the extent to which the original Enterprise design was inspired by the "flying saucer" imagery that was pervasive in the mass media of the '50s and '60s. So when we see something that was independently modeled on the flying saucer image, we see the Enterprise in it.
When I see a saucer-shaped object, I don’t automatically think of Star Trek’s Enterprise. Flying saucers appeared in dozens of sci-fi movies made during those decades, not to mention thousands of either dubious or obviously faked photos.

However, by posting this in the Trek Original Series forum rather than Science and Technology or Miscellaneous, the OP threw us a bit of a red herring, wouldn’t you say?

In any case, one thing I’ve learned from this thread: In fuzzy photos, all balding, middle-aged white men look alike!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 08:32 PM   #7
TrickyDickie
Commodore
 
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Kelso wrote: View Post
That's Thomas Townsend Brown. And that saucer is not from Star Trek.
Right you are!

I wanted to see if I could pull a few legs on this one.

The superficial similarity to the underside of the Enterprise saucer is interesting, though. A casual glance can cause you to do a doubletake for a second.
TrickyDickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
I wanted to see if I could pull a few legs on this one.

The superficial similarity to the underside of the Enterprise saucer is interesting, though. A casual glance can cause you to do a doubletake for a second.
And you even went as far as to label the image "1701Dish.jpg" to mislead anyone who checked the filename? Or did you find it with that label already on it?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
TrickyDickie
Commodore
 
Re: Challenge: Identify who is holding the saucer

Christopher wrote: View Post
TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
I wanted to see if I could pull a few legs on this one.

The superficial similarity to the underside of the Enterprise saucer is interesting, though. A casual glance can cause you to do a doubletake for a second.
And you even went as far as to label the image "1701Dish.jpg" to mislead anyone who checked the filename? Or did you find it with that label already on it?
Hey, I wasn't going to make it easy.
TrickyDickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.