Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 6 2013, 03:57 PM   #571
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Feline Follies

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Back when our cats were just itty bitty little kitties. I honestly can't remember which one this is in my wife's sweater.

Imagine this as and Alien remake, what defense would Earth have?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 07:13 PM   #572
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Gimli lazing about on a Sunday afternoon.

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 08:49 PM   #573
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

That looks amazingly comfortable.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:43 AM   #574
Shanndee
Commodore

In honour of my late cat, Cabbage. She left us last January. She was 15 years old.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:10 AM   #575
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^Aww. That's a great picture.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:14 PM   #576
pigletsgiblets
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Gimli lazing about on a Sunday afternoon.

He looks exactly like my cat,Sammie.
Old January 7 2013, 05:15 PM   #577
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

You must have a very good looking cat!
Old January 8 2013, 09:51 AM   #578
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Reposting this from the TIL thread:
B.J. wrote: View Post
TIL... I'm a softie for animals (well, knew that already), and there are some truly despicable people out there.

Two months ago, we had two cats and a dog. As of today, it's *four* cats and a dog, and I have a cat allergy! Okay, there's a threshold before it really starts affecting me, so hopefully we haven't hit it. Anyway, we had already adopted cat #3 a couple of months ago (wife went to grocery store, came home with cat and no groceries). But this morning on the way home from church, I spotted a very small kitten in the median of a major divided highway. I turned around and we picked it up, and it was obvious that someone had ditched that kitten there, likely from a moving vehicle! It's left hind quarters was skinned up badly, torn down to muscle, and its tail is probably broken since it just drags behind limp. We took it home and cleaned it up, and it took the poor thing a long time to stop shivering. It was likely stuck there for a couple of days after someone dumped it, judging from how hungry it was and how much the injury had healed. Don't know if it's a male or female yet since we don't want to hurt its rear any more, but I'll be taking it to the vet in the morning to get it fixed up. Yes, this is probably way too many cats for our house, but there is no way we're giving it up.

I'm glad I never saw whoever did this, because I'd likely toss *them* from a moving vehicle! After, of course, my wife got her chance to practice some of her martial arts training!
Well, the cat is going to have surgery to amputate the tail tomorrow. If that were the only issue, I'd be very happy, because she is a very sweet little kitten. Unfortunately, the injury also paralyzed her anal sphincter, which means she cannot control when she poops. It is possible that she will recover functionality in a few months, but there's also the much greater chance that this is permanent. It's going to be difficult, but we're probably her only hope now, since I doubt a shelter would take her, and I don't want anyone putting her down.

So, anyone know where I can get some kitty diapers?
When explaining all of this and the cat's eventual fate if we didn't take it in to my 12 year old, who seems to have a problem with empathy (probably due to his Asperger's), he said rather emphatically "We HAVE to keep her!"

So, I've been pretty much emotionally drained the last couple of days. I really hope I have the strength to keep up with the care of this kitten, since it's going to be very messy and smelly for the foreseeable future. Not that I'd consider any other possibilities, mind you.

Oh, and we've named her Banshee!
Old January 8 2013, 01:40 PM   #579
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I'll try to take some good pics of my cats Apollo and Boomer (female) later to post them here.

I recently came up with 2 more good names for a pair of cats, but don't plan on getting more than the two I have, so I put the names up here for grabs in case no one has thought of them yet.

The Doctor & The Master (The thes are very important, your cats will insist on those)

I think it would be a shame if no pair of cats ever gets named that.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 03:59 PM   #580
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Reposting this from the TIL thread:
TIL... I'm a softie for animals (well, knew that already), and there are some truly despicable people out there.

Two months ago, we had two cats and a dog. As of today, it's *four* cats and a dog, and I have a cat allergy! Okay, there's a threshold before it really starts affecting me, so hopefully we haven't hit it. Anyway, we had already adopted cat #3 a couple of months ago (wife went to grocery store, came home with cat and no groceries). But this morning on the way home from church, I spotted a very small kitten in the median of a major divided highway. I turned around and we picked it up, and it was obvious that someone had ditched that kitten there, likely from a moving vehicle! It's left hind quarters was skinned up badly, torn down to muscle, and its tail is probably broken since it just drags behind limp. We took it home and cleaned it up, and it took the poor thing a long time to stop shivering. It was likely stuck there for a couple of days after someone dumped it, judging from how hungry it was and how much the injury had healed. Don't know if it's a male or female yet since we don't want to hurt its rear any more, but I'll be taking it to the vet in the morning to get it fixed up. Yes, this is probably way too many cats for our house, but there is no way we're giving it up.

I'm glad I never saw whoever did this, because I'd likely toss *them* from a moving vehicle! After, of course, my wife got her chance to practice some of her martial arts training!
Well, the cat is going to have surgery to amputate the tail tomorrow. If that were the only issue, I'd be very happy, because she is a very sweet little kitten. Unfortunately, the injury also paralyzed her anal sphincter, which means she cannot control when she poops. It is possible that she will recover functionality in a few months, but there's also the much greater chance that this is permanent. It's going to be difficult, but we're probably her only hope now, since I doubt a shelter would take her, and I don't want anyone putting her down.

So, anyone know where I can get some kitty diapers?
When explaining all of this and the cat's eventual fate if we didn't take it in to my 12 year old, who seems to have a problem with empathy (probably due to his Asperger's), he said rather emphatically "We HAVE to keep her!"

So, I've been pretty much emotionally drained the last couple of days. I really hope I have the strength to keep up with the care of this kitten, since it's going to be very messy and smelly for the foreseeable future. Not that I'd consider any other possibilities, mind you.

Oh, and we've named her Banshee!
Good for you. I'd like to thank you for doing this. I wish more people would.
Old January 8 2013, 04:34 PM   #581
Felidae
Lieutenant

Ugh, there are too many people out there like the people who tossed the kitty from that car. A friend of mine is a guest family/host (what's the term used in english for that, someone who takes in lost, hurt, stray cats and kittens and nurses them back to health, raises them till they're ready for adoption??) for a local foundation, she gets cats like this in a lot. Though I must say, a kitten like this, it's lucky it ended up at your place, because it would have been very hard to get someone to adopt it (he/she). However, kitty diapers and such only go so far, I hope this kitty isn't bothered by them and by having no control over its pooping behaviour (since cats are generally such clean animals). If it's a happy kitty, it's fantastic, but if life sucks for this kitty because of that, well..
Felidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 05:21 PM   #582
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

The word you were looking for is "foster".
Old January 8 2013, 06:25 PM   #583
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

B.J.--It's very fortunate that, as I understand it, your cat has no trouble walking. Still, I remembered this video I'd seen once that links to a Facebook group with information about caring for cats with paralysis. Maybe they'll have some additional resources for you, and be a place to ask questions, get advice on if it is appropriate to use diapers, and (if yes) when, and what kind of diapers to use, etc. They may even be able to put you in touch with vets who have experience in these areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dXsQc9OkJfw#!

Good on you for taking care of a special needs cat.
Old January 9 2013, 02:14 AM   #584
Shanndee
Commodore

It is so wonderful that you are doing this B.J.! Reading Banshee's story made me a little misty eyed...and your son's response made me so happy!

I had a really crappy day at work, and this has made it all better. Thank you for giving her/him a fighting chance.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:54 AM   #585
lurok
Commodore

Cat lovers beware!

lurok is offline   Reply With Quote