RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,313
Posts: 5,352,282
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 539
Newest member: MAC5494

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 2 2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Coversion question

I seen some people convert Video and games to excel type file to get them into work stations etc, just wondering how its done.?
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Coversion question

You just rename it to have .xls or .xlsx at the end.

(This is why operating systems that don't embed MIME types within files are fundamentally brain-damaged.)
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Coversion question

2.2 pounds in a kilogram. 3.3 feet in a metre.

Oh... not that kind of conversion. Sorry.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Coversion question

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You just rename it to have .xls or .xlsx at the end.

(This is why operating systems that don't embed MIME types within files are fundamentally brain-damaged.)
Thank you, I'll give that a try.
Bill.
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Coversion question

Bisz wrote: View Post
2.2 pounds in a kilogram. 3.3 feet in a metre.

Oh... not that kind of conversion. Sorry.
From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about covert activities.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 02:50 AM   #6
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Coversion question

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You just rename it to have .xls or .xlsx at the end.

(This is why operating systems that don't embed MIME types within files are fundamentally brain-damaged.)
I tried making a copy and renaming it like that it didn't seem to work?
Maybe I need the K.I.S.S. system on this?
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Coversion question

Melakon wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post
2.2 pounds in a kilogram. 3.3 feet in a metre.

Oh... not that kind of conversion. Sorry.
From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about covert activities.
I had just come from TNZ and honestly, my first thoughts were of religious conversion.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 11:53 PM   #8
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Coversion question

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You just rename it to have .xls or .xlsx at the end.

(This is why operating systems that don't embed MIME types within files are fundamentally brain-damaged.)
I tried making a copy and renaming it like that it didn't seem to work?
Maybe I need the K.I.S.S. system on this?
Is your computer set to hide file extensions? If so, you will need to change that setting first so that you can see the extension.

You'll know you've been successful if the icon changes.
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Coversion question

farmkid wrote: View Post
Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You just rename it to have .xls or .xlsx at the end.

(This is why operating systems that don't embed MIME types within files are fundamentally brain-damaged.)
I tried making a copy and renaming it like that it didn't seem to work?
Maybe I need the K.I.S.S. system on this?
Is your computer set to hide file extensions? If so, you will need to change that setting first so that you can see the extension.

You'll know you've been successful if the icon changes.
I honestly don't know?
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2014, 02:18 AM   #10
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Coversion question

In that case, it's a good bet that extensions are hidden. That's the default in Windows (I'm assuming you're using some version of Windows, anyway), and unless you changed the setting they're probably still hidden.

Open up Windows Explorer and look at any directory. You may need to Do you see file extensions? Is each file name followed by a ".exe", ".xls", ".mp3", ".jpg", ".pdf", or something like that, or is it just the file name with nothing following?

If you don't see the file extensions, the way to change it is different depending on which version of Windows you're using. It will be somewhere under "options" or something like that, under the "view" tab. Uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types".
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Coversion question

farmkid is right. Follow his suggestion to make file extensions visible, then you can change the file type easily.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Coversion question

farmkid wrote: View Post
In that case, it's a good bet that extensions are hidden. That's the default in Windows (I'm assuming you're using some version of Windows, anyway), and unless you changed the setting they're probably still hidden.

Open up Windows Explorer and look at any directory. You may need to Do you see file extensions? Is each file name followed by a ".exe", ".xls", ".mp3", ".jpg", ".pdf", or something like that, or is it just the file name with nothing following?

If you don't see the file extensions, the way to change it is different depending on which version of Windows you're using. It will be somewhere under "options" or something like that, under the "view" tab. Uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types".
crap I can't see what you are trying to say, Guess I'm too dumb to figure it out
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 04:06 AM   #13
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: Coversion question

Why would yyou want to convert a video to a spreadsheet format?

I thnk you want to embed the video in the spreadsheet, is that what you mean?
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 05:18 AM   #14
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Coversion question

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
farmkid wrote: View Post
In that case, it's a good bet that extensions are hidden. That's the default in Windows (I'm assuming you're using some version of Windows, anyway), and unless you changed the setting they're probably still hidden.

Open up Windows Explorer and look at any directory. You may need to Do you see file extensions? Is each file name followed by a ".exe", ".xls", ".mp3", ".jpg", ".pdf", or something like that, or is it just the file name with nothing following?

If you don't see the file extensions, the way to change it is different depending on which version of Windows you're using. It will be somewhere under "options" or something like that, under the "view" tab. Uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types".
crap I can't see what you are trying to say, Guess I'm too dumb to figure it out
Which version of Windows are you using?
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:19 AM   #15
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Coversion question

Australis wrote: View Post
Why would yyou want to convert a video to a spreadsheet format?

I thnk you want to embed the video in the spreadsheet, is that what you mean?
yes thats it when we get the at work they show up as an excel sheet to get through, other wise they are too big. even shorts videos about a min long.

farmkid wrote: View Post
..
Which version of Windows are you using?
Vista
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.