Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 28 2015, 11:11 PM   #1
JWPlatt
Captain

US Bill of Rights

In honor of so-called "judicial tyranny" and political correctness, I have this little bit of eloquence:

From "Our World," Linda Ellerbee:

In the spring of 1970, in April, CBS news conducted a poll to see if people still supported the Bill of Rights. Questions were framed in terms of contemporary events. Here's one:

As long as there appears to be no clear danger of violence, do you think any group, no matter how extreme, should be allowed to organize protests against the government?

76% said no. In fact, the majority of Americans polled refused to support 5 of the 10 protections of the Bill of Rights, which is why we need a Bill of Rights. It protects the minority from the majority who, by definition, need no protection.

I'm sure that had they been asked the question, "Do you support the Bill of Rights?" those people would have said yes.

Trouble was, without the Bill, people didn't recognize the rights.

Last edited by JWPlatt; June 28 2015 at 11:26 PM.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Dennis
The Man

Re: US Bill of Rights

Yeah, I remember this report from way back.

The Bill of Rights is the legal foundation of the relationship of Americans to our government.
Old June 29 2015, 02:00 AM   #3
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Some people seem to think that some of the rights are more valid that other, based on their own personal preferences.

Met a gentleman a few years back who insisted that the first amendment was the most important, owing to it being the first.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2015, 10:04 AM   #4
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ I might be tempted to vote for the Ninth.

People are definitely selective in the Rights they support-- freedom of religion over freedom from religion, or the restriction against cruel and unusual punishment over the right to bear arms. Like everything else, it's all about what benefits them personally.

The Preamble and the Bill of Rights are what define American values, yet most people know nothing about either.
Old June 29 2015, 01:53 PM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with liking some Amendments better than others. Enough people disliking something is how things change in a democracy. I understand that the Eighteenth Amendment was really unpopular.
Old June 29 2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'd rate the Third Amendment at the bottom.

Federalists believed that an enumerated bill of rights would result in people believing those were their only rights. The 9th and 10th Amendments were more or less a cop to them, signifying that we do have other rights even if they're not specifically mentioned.

Anti-Federalists believed that enumerating rights was the only way to protect them: if they aren't set in stone, an overreaching government would claim they don't exist.

Both turned out to be partially right (and partially wrong.)

Judging by how much money and effort are spent protecting them, the Second and First Amendments are clearly the most popular (or the most staunchly defended, at least.)
Old June 29 2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
^^ I might be tempted to vote for the Ninth.

People are definitely selective in the Rights they support-- freedom of religion over freedom from religion, or the restriction against cruel and unusual punishment over the right to bear arms. Like everything else, it's all about what benefits them personally.

The Preamble and the Bill of Rights are what define American values, yet most people know nothing about either.
I had to memorize the Preamble for junior high Social Studies once. Fortunately, this was in the time of Schoolhouse Rock, so I had a study aid for it on Saturday morning.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2015, 10:03 AM   #8
RJDiogenes

I first heard it on that episode of Star Trek when I was about nine. I thought it was so inspiring that I went to the library to read the whole Constitution-- needless to say I was pretty disappointed until I got to the Bill of Rights.
Old June 30 2015, 10:28 PM   #9
Dennis
The Man

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
There's nothing wrong whatsoever with liking some Amendments better than others. Enough people disliking something is how things change in a democracy. I understand that the Eighteenth Amendment was really unpopular.

My opinion on this has changed over the last few years. I'm against amending the Constitution in any way that further limits people's rights. Amend it to extend protections, yes.
Old June 30 2015, 10:30 PM   #10
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

^ Absolutely. I completely agree.
Old June 30 2015, 10:43 PM   #11
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

My opinion on this has changed over the last few years. I'm against amending the Constitution in any way that further limits people's rights. Amend it to extend protections, yes.
Unfortunately a lot of people seem to think, if you protect minorities you limit the rights of the majority ( to discriminate ).
Old July 1 2015, 09:54 AM   #12
RJDiogenes

Of course it's wrong to amend the Constitution to limit rights. That's antithetical to the whole concept. And the 18th Amendment wasn't just a boneheaded idea, but it was completely inappropriate to deal with it on a Constitutional level.

What we really need is an Equal Rights Amendment that's worded in such a way that it makes discrimination impossible not just for any of the stupid ways that people divide each other up today, but for any of the stupid ways that people will think of to divide each other up in the future.

And election reform, of course.