Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 22 2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Paper Moon
Commander

(Could Have Been) Foreshadowing

So, branching off a discussion in the "DS9 Writers" thread, I was wondering what sort of things people have noticed, particularly from seasons 1 and 2, that could be interpreted as hinting/foreshadowing things that would happen later in the series.

(Obviously, there be spoilers ahead, so be ye warned...)

For example, Tosk has been compared to the Jem'Hadar, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Founders and/or the Vorta also ran a sort of side-business, where societies could purchase genetically engineered prey, like Tosk.

Vortex talked about legends of shapeshifters. We later heard about Jem'Hadar who hear of the Founders, but never actually see them. Sound like legends to me.

In season 3, Destiny shows us a vedek telling Sisko about a prophecy involving the Emissary facing a fiery trial; Dominion War, Fire Caves anyone? (Memory Alpha mentions off hand that there are several events that this prophecy could refer to; I'm wondering what people think they could be.)

And, of course, Emissary shows Odo theorizing that he may have come through the wormhole, and makes clear his desire to find his people. (And look what happened...)

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'd be interested to hear what other people have thought of. Obviously a lot of this is retconning, since the writers didn't actually have a whole plan laid out at the beginning. Still, it can be fun, I think.

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere!
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 02:30 AM   #2
JaxsBrokenHeart
Lieutenant

Re: (Could Have Been) Foreshadowing

Back in "Vortex" Quark, annoyed with Odo's continued presence, snidely states that paranoia must run in his species, a statement which proves to be quite true.
JaxsBrokenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 04:01 AM   #3
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

DS9's show runners have said that is what their intention to have the Tosk revealed as a sort of gift to the Hunter species. They were created much like the Jems were and thus were related.
Old February 22 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Yep. The Tosk and Jem'Hadar have exactly the same 'shrouding' ability and some similar features as well. AFAIK, they were both engineered from the same 'original' race.

Also, the Hunters are the navigators and trackers of the Dominion; a Hunter was supposed to take the helm of the Defiant in "Broken Link" (while on the way to the Founder homeworld) but it got changed to a Jem'Hadar at the last minute before filming.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
JRoss
Captain

Yup. As far as I'm concerned that's canon because the script for "The Jem'Hadar" supposedly says point-blank that it's the exact same shrouding ability as the Tosk.
Old February 23 2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Paper Moon
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Yep. The Tosk and Jem'Hadar have exactly the same 'shrouding' ability and some similar features as well. AFAIK, they were both engineered from the same 'original' race.

Also, the Hunters are the navigators and trackers of the Dominion; a Hunter was supposed to take the helm of the Defiant in "Broken Link" (while on the way to the Founder homeworld) but it got changed to a Jem'Hadar at the last minute before filming.
That's cool! I never knew that the Hunters were originally planned to be the Dominion's navigators. Would make a lot more sense than the Jem'Hadar doing it, to be honest.

And nice point about the paranoia of the Founders, JaxsBrokenHeart.

Are there any others that people can think of?
Old February 25 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Paper Moon
Commander

^Where is that one from?