RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,937
Posts: 5,390,079
Members: 24,725
Currently online: 532
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 6 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Serious question. Because not only will the entire main cast of TNG be there, but now it's been announced that so will Stan Lee.

http://www.calgaryexpo.com/
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Kytee
Commander
 
Location: Calgary, AB
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

This is going to be outstanding, when I first heard the entire cast of TNG was comnig to town I didn't believe it until I confirmed it. Last year we had Shatner, and that was exciting, this year is one for the books
-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
23skidoo
Admiral
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Only thing disappointing is the continued absence of any Doctor Who actors. Not even anyone from the TV movie. (James Marsters is the closest, having guest starred on Torchwood, and I heard Dave Prowse is coming too and he appeared in a Pertwee-era Who). I have my fingers crossed they have something big planned for the 50th anniversary next year.

As for this year, I agree this has the potential to be one of the best. I don't expect to get Patrick Stewart's autograph or attend that panel, but I think it'll be fun and probably for the first time I'll end up going on more than one day. Stan Lee is top of my non-TNG list, along with Adam West, Gil Gerard, and John Noble.

Things sure have changed. I remembered when they (and by they I don't mean the Calgary Expo people but another group) tried to do a SF convention back in 1998. Erin Grey, Danny John Jules from Red Dwarf and Robert McNeill from Voyager were the guests but it wasn't organized very well and only a couple hundred people showed up and that pretty much killed it until the Expo started up a few years later. And even then there was one year that Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew was the headliner. (Nothing against Peter, but I mean - hey.)

I'll forever be kicking myself though for missing that one year they decided to have a Firefly focus. I'm not a fan of Firefly. I AM a fan of Jewel Staite, Morena Baccarin and Christina Hendricks and they were all there. I made up for it with Summer Glau last year, but still...

Alex
__________________
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
StevenR
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Only thing disappointing is the continued absence of any Doctor Who actors. Not even anyone from the TV movie. (James Marsters is the closest, having guest starred on Torchwood, and I heard Dave Prowse is coming too and he appeared in a Pertwee-era Who). I have my fingers crossed they have something big planned for the 50th anniversary next year.

As for this year, I agree this has the potential to be one of the best. I don't expect to get Patrick Stewart's autograph or attend that panel, but I think it'll be fun and probably for the first time I'll end up going on more than one day. Stan Lee is top of my non-TNG list, along with Adam West, Gil Gerard, and John Noble.

Things sure have changed. I remembered when they (and by they I don't mean the Calgary Expo people but another group) tried to do a SF convention back in 1998. Erin Grey, Danny John Jules from Red Dwarf and Robert McNeill from Voyager were the guests but it wasn't organized very well and only a couple hundred people showed up and that pretty much killed it until the Expo started up a few years later. And even then there was one year that Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew was the headliner. (Nothing against Peter, but I mean - hey.)

I'll forever be kicking myself though for missing that one year they decided to have a Firefly focus. I'm not a fan of Firefly. I AM a fan of Jewel Staite, Morena Baccarin and Christina Hendricks and they were all there. I made up for it with Summer Glau last year, but still...

Alex
I'd go and just ask questions that have nothing to do with Star Trek at all. "Michael Dorn, do you remember that eipsode of CHiPs where Danny Bonaduche beat up Brodie Greer? What was it like to work with those guys?"
StevenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Keep in mind that further announcements about guest appearances may still be coming.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Yeah Calgary is very lucky indeed. Vancouver is getting it's first ever major comic con the previous weekend and our guest list so far is mediocre by comparison. I think so far we have Adam West, Burt Ward, Nicolas Brendan, Kristen Bauer, and Tom Felton. Which isn't bad...but they're no TNG cast and Stan Lee
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
23skidoo
Admiral
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

StevenR wrote: View Post
I'd go and just ask questions that have nothing to do with Star Trek at all. "Michael Dorn, do you remember that eipsode of CHiPs where Danny Bonaduche beat up Brodie Greer? What was it like to work with those guys?"
Believe it or not sometimes they get a kick out of that. I was in the line-up for Malcolm MacDowall and while most people were talking about Generations and Heroes, he seemed to really perk up when a guy showed him a rare Clockwork Orange soundtrack LP. I wonder if anyone asked him about Caligula?

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Keep in mind that further announcements about guest appearances may still be coming.
They always do. Also there is always one or two people who pull out because of work commitments - they get double-booked or a role in a film. We lost out on Katee Sackhoff last year because of that but there's talk she's coming this year. And there's been a couple of times a guest has appeared without any prior announcement - when Katee cancelled a few days before last year's event they replaced her almost on the day with Linda Blair, and Erin Gray (who actually is a convention booking agent for a lot of these people) tossed her hat into the ring just for the fun of it.

I think the key is the event has a good reputation. I remember hearing the horror stories about some conventions a few years ago. The venue is also considered to be very good - unlike some events that take over a few rooms in a hotel, this one takes over one of the main convention facilities in town at the Stampede Grounds.

My favourite guests so far have been Erin Gray (who I've interviewed a few times for the newspaper), Summer Glau, Tricia Helfer (a bit of a cheat as she is virtually a local anyway - she flew in to Calgary after having been working on the BSG set till 2 the previous morning), George Takei, Malcolm MacDowall, Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner (though I decided not to get Shatner's autograph I sat in on his panel, which was a lot of fun).

Alex
__________________
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Halifax got David Prowse and Walter Koening in October 2010, and last year Toronto had Julie Benz, Claudia Christian, Nicolas Brendon and some others.

This year Toronto is getting John DeLancie, Bruce Boxleitner, Tia Carrere, Charisma Carpenter, Robert Picardo, Nicole DeBoer and Kristianna Loken.

Not bad.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Serious question. Because not only will the entire main cast of TNG be there, but now it's been announced that so will Stan Lee.

http://www.calgaryexpo.com/
Given his treatment of Kirby, I hope all serious minded Canadian fans will boycott this convention
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

More guests include: Laurie Holden, Peter David, Robert J. Sawyer,
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012: The Greatest Ever?

Damn the more awesome guests Calgary gets the more I want to go to your con!
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.