Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 23 2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Project: Potemkin "Doctor's Orders"

Our fourth production, "Doctor's Orders," is now on-line!

http://youtu.be/cLl5QiVZvA0

This 5 min 22 sec vignette introduces the chief medical officer, Doctor Maura Drake, as she encounters Commander Mike Delaney, the new helmsman.

This production stars Renda M Carr as Doctor Drake, G. Douglas Harper as Mike Delaney and Stephanie Buker as Lieutenant M'tume. Directed by Timothy Carr. Edited by Rick Foxx. Written by David Eversole.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com

Last edited by T'Devilish; December 25 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 03:43 AM   #2
xortex
Commodore

Re: Project: Potemin "Doctor's Orders"

Wow, that gave me and my computer a headache. My computer broke down.

The sound was echoed. I thought it was an alien daymare. I thought she was perfect but expected her to be nicer. She was way over the top. I appreciated the writing but it was too much. The navigator handled it nicely though, but her performance was slightly intolerable. As I said, my computer couldn't take it. Any Captain would slap her down hard for being too overbearing and the navigator should have side stepped her, avoided her or been offended by her tone unless he has no emotions and she was testing him for that, otherwise.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 04:49 AM   #3
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

I suspect that you are going for a CMO with a abrasive manner. While I think this interesting, kinda like TNG's Pulaski, I do think it was a bit too strong. The navigator was interesting. Is he supposed to be a mellow personality? I like the change up on the camera work. Overall I think this was a strong effort. It helps to establish your characters while the longer stories can focus on the bigger stuff. This is a great way to do this. Great job.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

xortex wrote: View Post
Wow, that gave me and my computer a headache. My computer broke down. The sound was echoed.
We have noticed this ourselves and suspect it's a direct result of using a completely enclosed 360 degree set. The sound has no place to go except echoing around. With this episode, we were experimenting with a different camera and microphone. We are experimenting with leaving the doors to the set open. We also are experimenting with hanging fabric to help muffle the sound.

I thought it was an alien daymare. I thought she was perfect but expected her to be nicer. She was way over the top. I appreciated the writing but it was too much. The navigator handled it nicely though, but her performance was slightly intolerable. As I said, my computer couldn't take it.
She's intentionally that way, I promise.

Any Captain would slap her down hard for being too overbearing and the navigator should have side stepped her, avoided her or been offended by her tone unless he has no emotions and she was testing him for that, otherwise.
Xarthebs are heavy-humanoids with stoic personalities. And you're quite right; she's deliberately messing with him.

DestinyCaptain wrote: View Post
I suspect that you are going for a CMO with a abrasive manner. While I think this interesting, kinda like TNG's Pulaski, I do think it was a bit too strong.
We were thinking more along the lines of Frances Sternhagen's portrayal of Dr. Lazarus from OUTLAND, and yes, it's completely intentional. We have a little backstory in mind for Captain Grigory and Dr. Drake that explains things a bit in a second season vignette.

The navigator was interesting. Is he supposed to be a mellow personality?
He's a gentle giant, so to speak. Quite stoic, and with amazing strength.

I like the change up on the camera work.
Glad you noticed. We've a tendency to rotate camera operators and directors. In next month's installment, "Delivery," you'll see a completely different approach to lighting and direction.

Overall I think this was a strong effort. It helps to establish your characters while the longer stories can focus on the bigger stuff. This is a great way to do this. Great job.
Thanks! It's our intention to tell a story with all our productions, but vignettes are definitely meant to be short character studies, hopefully amusing at times and insightful at others.
Old December 24 2011, 06:12 AM   #5
xortex
Commodore

I suggest giving him something that he's interested in or that he respects as in a certain character trait that he looks for in others and he holds in high regard. That would be another interesting vignette, if he finds something interesting that others don't like physical endurance. He would come in handy I guess when prison bats need to be bent and doors forced. Whoever thought up the characters really put some time and effort into it. The chemistry works. I like the scirnce officer's passion. It throws sparks off the captain.
Old December 24 2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Those are excellent suggestions! Glad you like the characterizations. The chemistry works because the actors are developing their own characters.

Doug does a great job in "Archway," "Engineer's New Clothes" and "Night the Stars Fell from the sky."
Old December 24 2011, 06:41 AM   #7
xortex
Commodore

When will the second full length episode be ready? What's the title of it?
Old December 24 2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Our First Season Productions -- Numbers are Episodes, Letters are Vignettes

S01-A The Old Guys - ONLINE - 6 mins
S01-B Care for a Lift? - ONLINE - 5 mins
S01-1 The Void - ONLINE - 31 mins
S01-C Doctor's Orders - ONLINE - 5 mins
S01-D Delivery - POST PRODUCTION - 5-6 mins (January/February 2012)
S01-E Miscommunication - POST PRODUCTION - 7 mins (March 2012)
S01-F The Engineer's New Clothes - POST PRODUCTION - 3-4 mins (April2012)
S01-G Archway - POST PRODUCTION - POST PRODUCTION - 6 mins (May/June 2012)
S01-H The Devil in the Details - EDITING - ? mins (July 2012)
S01-2 The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky - EDITING - ~60 mins (Fall 2012)

All releases are approximates months. Might take longer; might take less...
Old December 24 2011, 08:12 AM   #9
The Crypt of Borg
Rear Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
S01-2 The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky - EDITING - ~60 mins (Fall 2012)
No pressure

My Office Space spoof
The Crypt of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I'm probably a minority in this, but I'm just not a fan of stories where characters behave rudely for the sake of being rude. Dr. Lazarus in Outland was sharp-tongued but she wasn't just insulting people for its own sake, like McCoy she'd call people on doing dumb things. This character is just unpleasant and unprofessional and not in a charming way.

YMMV.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Romdoll
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Romdoll's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Romdoll Send a message via Yahoo to Romdoll

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post
I'm probably a minority in this, but I'm just not a fan of stories where characters behave rudely for the sake of being rude. Dr. Lazarus in Outland was sharp-tongued but she wasn't just insulting people for its own sake, like McCoy she'd call people on doing dumb things. This character is just unpleasant and unprofessional and not in a charming way.

YMMV.
Yes, Doctor Maura Drake, CMO is a handful. And when I was ask to take the role, I even talked with Randy about her. And he assured me that she is supposed to be that way, especially when a Crewman or Officer skips their crew physicals.

The day we filmed, we shot the scenes with different flavors, in the end it is up to the Producers, Directors and Editing team as to which shots make the film.

Hope you all continue to enjoy Project Potemkin episodes.

PS: And from Renda Carr, Poor Commander Delaney and Communications Officer MTume But we all had a great time of filming!

"Dif-tor heh smusma!"

Renda Carr.

Last edited by Romdoll; December 24 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: To add in a paragraph that got wiped lol internet bounce...
Romdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 04:03 PM   #12
xortex
Commodore

It still irritates me. What a beache.
Old December 24 2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Romdoll
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Romdoll's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Romdoll Send a message via Yahoo to Romdoll

Randy, I call it.. "The CMO who stole Christmas!"

Renda
Old December 24 2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Romdoll
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It still irritates me. What a beache.

Yes not all Characters will be a favorite of everyone. And Doctor Maura Drake is a strong person.

As she progresses, people will see more insight into why Randy Landers had her intro into the ship such a confrontational tone of episode.

Everyone have a great Holiday weekend.

Renda

Last edited by Romdoll; December 24 2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old December 24 2011, 04:17 PM   #15
xortex
Commodore

Just tell me the Captain is not gonna put up with that and I'll be back. The Comm officer already caved. Finally some sparks coming from the Captain this time instead of the science officer off of him. Can't wait to see him get mad. He is unperterbable.