Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 16 2012, 09:10 PM   #76
wamdue
Admiral

Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

I think the last thing we need to worry about is canon in an IDW comic, a comic which is after all licensed only for America (as I understand it), there is no need what so ever to consider any IDW comic anything more than you want it to be, be it canon or not.

Of course I speak far to too soon as we do not know the plot and how the Whoverse and the Trekverse come to interact.

Lets wait and see what is printed before we start to flip about canon, for all we know, this is a story imagined by a character, not a real story at all, im not saying I think that is how it should be, but its possibility.
Old February 16 2012, 09:15 PM   #77
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I concur with the esteemable wamdue!
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 09:25 PM   #78
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

wamdue wrote: View Post
I think the last thing we need to worry about is canon in an IDW comic, a comic which is after all licensed only for America (as I understand it), there is no need what so ever to consider any IDW comic anything more than you want it to be, be it canon or not.
I've seen similar sentiments at Gallifrey Base; because this isn't a Panini product, it can't possibly "count." Never mind that this crossover would have to go through the exact same approval process that Panini's own Doctor Who comics go through.

That said, indications are right now that this project will be the first IDW Doctor Who product available officially in the UK.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 09:50 PM   #79
wamdue
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
I've seen similar sentiments at Gallifrey Base; because this isn't a Panini product, it can't possibly "count." Never mind that this crossover would have to go through the exact same approval process that Panini's own Doctor Who comics go through.

That said, indications are right now that this project will be the first IDW Doctor Who product available officially in the UK.
you can count it if you want to, but not counting this, is not the same as not counting a random episode which you didnt really like the plot of.

Personally I only really count the TV show, everything else is a bonus that doesn't need to be worried about. That said im still not sure what to do with the Torchwood Radio series, it is official BBC product after all.

Much the same from the Star Trek side of this, again its a IDW comic, not a TV episode.
Old February 16 2012, 10:26 PM   #80
Timofnine

Does anyone know if this will be available to download on iPhone?
Timofnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 10:39 PM   #81
StCoop
Commodore

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
And yet there was a so-called 'canon-keeper' in the 1980s hired by John Nathan-Turner. He was called Ian Levine. How good he did his job, however, is another matter entirely...LOL
Thankfully we've all moved on from those days. Well, except for Ian. (Who I'm honoured to say once called me The Biggest Cunt In Doctor Who Fandom for daring to suggest that his plan to get fans to recolour Ambassadors Of Death and then sell it to the BBC wouldn't come to anything.*)

*It didn't.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 10:41 PM   #82
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Timofnine wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if this will be available to download on iPhone?
Not for 100% sure, but both IDW's separate Trek and Who titles have been; there's no reason to expect this to be different.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 04:48 AM   #83
23skidoo
Admiral

IDW just did another crossover with Trek. The TARDIS appears in Issue #5 of the TOS/LSH crossover in a collection of time machines held by Flint/Vandal Savage.

Cheers!

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 04:51 AM   #84
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't call it a crossover as much as the Tardis and the Master's Tardis made cameo appearences. There is a link in the Trek Lit thread pointing out all the devices. It was a very cool panel.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 05:43 AM   #85
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Too bad the creative team is so terrible.

If it was Roberson or maybe Fialkov, there would be some guarantee, but instead they get the guys who wrote TNG Infestation.

Reading IDW is suffering.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 05:52 AM   #86
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah I gotta admit I'm not thrilled with that decision. I avoided Infestation. I hear Tony Lee is "consulting". I was hoping Roberson would do it. He's done a wonderful job with the Star Trek/LOSH crossover.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 04:31 PM   #87
23skidoo
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call it a crossover as much as the Tardis and the Master's Tardis made cameo appearences. There is a link in the Trek Lit thread pointing out all the devices. It was a very cool panel.
True, but it does serve to indicate that the TARDISes exist in the IDW version of the Trek and DC universes. And knowing IDW's fetish for crossovers I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't a connection.

I agree it was a cool panel. I didn't actually notice the TARDIS at first. First thing I saw was the time machine from the 1950s version of The Time Machine.

Yeah I gotta admit I'm not thrilled with that decision. I avoided Infestation. I hear Tony Lee is "consulting". I was hoping Roberson would do it. He's done a wonderful job with the Star Trek/LOSH crossover.
Infestation lost me when I realized they were crossing TOS with TMNT. I mean T-M-bloody-N-T. Given the choice I'm quite happy Doctor Who wasn't involved in Infestation 2 which I'd expected to see.

Tony Lee apparently has a cover writer credit so it may be more than consulting. He's done good work with the comic, but things did get a bit over the top near the end, what with the dinosaur companion and that bizarre Silent Night thing. The jury is still out with me on the current DW team. I like the premise of As Time Goes By but I really can't see past the artwork.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
Old February 17 2012, 05:08 PM   #88
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Infestation lost me when I realized they were crossing TOS with TMNT. I mean T-M-bloody-N-T.
Except that it didn't. Infestation wasn't really a crossover in the sense that Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes was a crossover. The Transformers didn't meet the Turtles, the Enterprise crew didn't have to battle Storm Shadow. It was more of a "Hey, let's have four series battle zombies!"

Given the choice I'm quite happy Doctor Who wasn't involved in Infestation 2 which I'd expected to see.
Since it's dealing with Lovecraftian horrors, I would have loved to see a Doctor Who element to Infestation 2.

At work, we're hoping that Infestation 3 will be Mars Attacks!-centric.

Tony Lee apparently has a cover writer credit so it may be more than consulting. He's done good work with the comic, but things did get a bit over the top near the end, what with the dinosaur companion and that bizarre Silent Night thing.
I loved the Christmas issue! That was, for me, a far better Doctor Who Christmas story than "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe."

The jury is still out with me on the current DW team. I like the premise of As Time Goes By but I really can't see past the artwork.
I really like Matthew Dow Smith's work on Doctor Who. *shrug*

Issue #16, by the way, is the final issue of this run of Doctor Who. I'm not sure when IDW is relaunching the series. I suspect that the TNG crossover is simply replacing it on the schedule for its duration.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 05:29 PM   #89
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

The Tiptons are pretty much the best Trek writers IDW has got.

Tony Lee, on the other hand, does nothing for me, though his eleventh Doctor stuff looks superior to what has come before from what little I have seen of it.
Old February 19 2012, 08:15 PM   #90
23skidoo
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Except that it didn't. Infestation wasn't really a crossover in the sense that Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes was a crossover. The Transformers didn't meet the Turtles, the Enterprise crew didn't have to battle Storm Shadow. It was more of a "Hey, let's have four series battle zombies!"
True, but they're still connected by the basic story premise, and every place I see calls it a crossover even if you didn't see Donatello on the Bridge with Captain Kirk and Snake-Eyes.

Since it's dealing with Lovecraftian horrors, I would have loved to see a Doctor Who element to Infestation 2.
Except for as noted above. But I'd totally be for a standalone Lovecraftian storyline (even an adaptation of one of his stories) in Doctor Who.

The jury is still out with me on the current DW team. I like the premise of As Time Goes By but I really can't see past the artwork.
I really like Matthew Dow Smith's work on Doctor Who. *shrug*
I'm simply not a fan of over stylized art, especially in comics based upon licensed properties. I want my characters to look like they do on TV. And just so it doesn't look like I'm picking on one artist, I'm not a fan of that Salmon fellow who occasionally does art for DWM and Big Finish covers either. My disappointment in the art for Ongoing right now is magnified by the fact I was really really really looking forward to the As Time Goes By storyline, being a huge Casablanca fan. Compare the art in IDW's current run with the art by Martin Geraghty in the recent DWM comic strips and there's no comparison, in my opinion. IDW's run afoul with me before - I picked up issue 1 of their Star Trek The Wrath of Khan adaptation and fortunately flipped through it in the checkout line. I couldn't stand the art so I never bought it again.

Issue #16, by the way, is the final issue of this run of Doctor Who. I'm not sure when IDW is relaunching the series. I suspect that the TNG crossover is simply replacing it on the schedule for its duration.
I'd tend to agree. There's been no announcement of the title being cancelled (we knew six months in advance that Tony Lee was leaving, so you'd think we'd know if IDW was closing up shop). IDW does finite-numbered series rather than continuous releases: technically we should be up to something close to issue #50, but because they keep restarting the numbering it's just a "meh" when they say issue #X is going to be the last. Wait a few months and they'll launch a new Ongoing with #1 again.

Alex