Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 22 2012, 03:27 PM   #316
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

It's done. That's the best thing I can say.

This was the comic book equivalent of the long passages through V'Ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture or the diving bubble sequence in "The Sea Devils." Yes, it's cool to see Patrick Stewart and Matt Smith sharing the same page. But they needed to do something with that. Put the characters in jeopardy. Make them work to get out of bad and increasingly worse situations. Have them do something. That's not what we got. What we got was nostalgia masquerading for narrative.

Conceptually, Assimilation2 could have worked. Instead, we got something that Steve Parkhouse and John Ridgway would have needed at most four eight-pagers in Doctor Who Magazine to cover spread out to 180 pages.

I talk about it more at length on my blog. I voted for this in Bleeding Cool's "Most Disappointing Comic of 2012" poll. Avengers Vs. X-Men was terrible, but I didn't expect anything from that. I expected better from this.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 03:56 PM   #317
Lonemagpie
Writer

^ I'm glad I didn't bother with it, then.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 02:23 PM   #318
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

J.K. Woodward is selling prints of some of his Star Trek/Doctor Who artwork. In addition to the "Bad Wolf 359" print (the cover to issue #7), he's also selling prints of Amy Pond in the TOS microskirt and an Odd in a redshirt.

For those interested, look here.

allyngibson.net
Old March 29 2013, 10:58 PM   #319
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Yikes. Been trying to track down the first trade, which is now out of print apparently, but it sounds like I needn't bother. The TOS/Legion crossover was fun, but fell apart in the final issue (as much as I like the TOS crew, it turned into a TOS comic with guest starts who did very little). This one was really just stultifying? Yikes.
Old March 30 2013, 12:42 AM   #320
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Turbo wrote: View Post
Yikes. Been trying to track down the first trade, which is now out of print apparently,
Diamond still has it in stock, so your local comic shop would be able to order it without any trouble. The item code is JUL120287.

This one was really just stultifying? Yikes.
It was one of the dull, talky Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes, with the Doctor as the main guest star.

allyngibson.net
Old March 30 2013, 12:55 AM   #321
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Yikes. Been trying to track down the first trade, which is now out of print apparently,
Diamond still has it in stock, so your local comic shop would be able to order it without any trouble. The item code is JUL120287.
Apparently not. It's on indefinite backorder according to my LCS. Or some other designation they've rarely ever seen from Diamond.

It was one of the dull, talky Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes, with the Doctor as the main guest star.
Oy, that's doubly disappointing. I may skip this then. And the first two issues were quite promising, too...
Old March 30 2013, 01:01 AM   #322
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

J.K. Woodward is selling prints of some of his Star Trek/Doctor Who artwork. In addition to the "Bad Wolf 359" print (the cover to issue #7), he's also selling prints of Amy Pond in the TOS microskirt and an Odd in a redshirt.

For those interested, look here.
This whole comic crossover didn't really appeal much to me but that cover with the Ponds is pretty cool.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 01:18 AM   #323
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Apparently not. It's on indefinite backorder according to my LCS. Or some other designation they've rarely ever seen from Diamond.
Both volumes were out of stock until this week. Tell your retailer to check the "Back in Stock Spotlight" on the Diamond Retailer Services website.

Oy, that's doubly disappointing. I may skip this then. And the first two issues were quite promising, too...[/QUOTE]

There's some chatter that IDW is going to publish the entire story in a single volume for the fall.

I don't know, you may like it. I know people who loved it. I, however, thought it was poorly executed.

allyngibson.net
Old March 30 2013, 01:22 AM   #324
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Both volumes were out of stock until this week. Tell your retailer to check the "Back in Stock Spotlight" on the Diamond Retailer Services website.
Oh! That would explain that. I checked last Saturday.
Old October 23 2013, 05:46 PM   #325
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The collected hardcover edition of all eight issues arrives in comic shops today.

Paul Cornell was interviewed by Radio Free Skaro in episode 388, and he talks at the 48:30 mark about the Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover that he pitched to IDW that, due to the limitations of their Doctor Who license, they were unable to pursue.

allyngibson.net
Old October 27 2013, 10:14 PM   #326
publiusr
Commodore

I will be looking for it in stores
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote