Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 20 2012, 04:18 PM   #256
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Finally. This is the issue that I've been waiting for, art issues aside, this was exceptionally fun! The art they used for the Fourth Doctor and TOS bits was outstandingly awesome. The jelly baby scene with Spock was hilarious. Kirk using his judo moves against the Cybermen was fun! The characterization was really tight in this issue, as it has been in all three issues. I geeked out with the reveal on the last page! Next month should be really interesting indeed.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 01:23 PM   #257
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

I preordered the issues and have read all three so far. Fair enough im late to chat about it all but shit gets in the way.

I think theyre brilliant, the art is simply astounding.

Thay have sucessfully captured the likenesses of all characters involved and even have the current style of humour injected into the story.

I loved the instant-memory-creation-come-flashback in issue 3 as time is obviously being messed with, the art and fourth Doctor humour was briliantly done.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Finally. This is the issue that I've been waiting for, art issues aside, this was exceptionally fun! The art they used for the Fourth Doctor and TOS bits was outstandingly awesome. The jelly baby scene with Spock was hilarious. Kirk using his judo moves against the Cybermen was fun! The characterization was really tight in this issue, as it has been in all three issues. I geeked out with the reveal on the last page! Next month should be really interesting indeed.
I loved that too. Kirk says hell hold them off and does hi heric captain thing, but it isnt over parodied, its a nice funny reference to Kirks brash trademark scraps.

So far im impressed.

Edit: Admiral Young. Love the Man of Steel avatar. That poster of Supes from SDCC is amazing. And the trailer attatched to TDKR was awesome, the sonic boom hits you in the chest in the theatre. Heres hoping Snyder can deliver what we all wanted in 2006.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 11:42 AM   #258
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Anyone else still reading this? I just read issue 4. Wasn't so keen on the artwork this time but the Picard characterisation was pretty good.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 11:49 AM   #259
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

yeah, it's one i've been reading out of morbid curiosity...

I haven't particularly liked the artwork in any of the issues so far to be honest though... it's one i'm considering dropping shortly unless it picks up

M
Old September 8 2012, 11:54 AM   #260
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The writing has been good. The art remains terrible in my opinion, last couple of issues have been pretty good. Overall though I would have to say this is not the special even that I thought it was going to be, and for me the art is really taking away from the entire experience of the book. I know others probably disagree and that's fine if they're enjoying it but this is no where near the sheer awesomeness of the Star Trek/Legion crossover still.

Old September 8 2012, 11:56 AM   #261
Pindar
Rear Admiral

I quite liked the artwork up till now, it seemed a bit different to me this issue.
Old September 8 2012, 01:03 PM   #262
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Pindar wrote: View Post
I quite liked the artwork up till now, it seemed a bit different to me this issue.
The artwork is different in this issue.

Gordon Purcell, veteran Star Trek comics artist, is providing the pencil foundation for Woodward to paint over from here on out.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:25 PM   #263
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Thanks I was going to check but my wife gave me chores to do instead.
Old September 8 2012, 04:15 PM   #264
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Personaly, I'd enjoy a primeval and dr who cross over (on TV, not in a comic). I could just imagine Lester shooting a dalek with a big gun.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 05:24 PM   #265
wamdue
Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Personaly, I'd enjoy a primeval and dr who cross over (on TV, not in a comic). I could just imagine Lester shooting a dalek with a big gun.
tonights episode may help with that.
Old September 8 2012, 11:41 PM   #266
The Wormhole
Admiral

Something which bothered me in Part 4, the Borg and the interior of their ships are drawn to resemble the look from the TNG TV series, even though the previous issues went with the First Contact look. And then to really mix things up, TV series Borg are using tubules to assimilate, which was intorduced in First Contact.
Old September 9 2012, 03:24 AM   #267
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Man, even with photo references, the artist couldn't draw Amy/Karen to save his life.
Old September 9 2012, 03:26 AM   #268
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Agreed. That was the worst rendering of Karen/Amy in the book yet.

Old September 9 2012, 03:39 AM   #269
Aldo
Admiral

I did notice a change in the artwork with this issue. It was a tad distracting, considering it took me a bit to get used to the art in the first place.

All in all I thought this was a strong issue, the characterizations are still spot on. And the new twist of the Cybermen turning on the Borg has me intrigued, and I can't wait to see where they go with that. This miniseries has been turning out to be really fun and I can't wait to ultimately find out how this crossover is even possible.
Old September 10 2012, 04:56 PM   #270
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Yeah, IDW has always been abosolutly awful when it comes to art. I remember one Star Trek comic they did with Next Gen where they had Geordi talking and he was intentionally out of focus, and I realized this wasn't stylistic so much as it was time and effort saving.

When I heard IDW was doing the Doctor Who/TNG crossover, i got really sad. Same thing when I heard they were doing the Magic: The Gathering comics. le sigh.

Story is alright, but I'm probably not going to keep buying these. Heck of a lot of padding.