TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 28 2012, 08:12 AM   #91
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Just finished issue three...I gotta say this is the most consistent story telling we've had in a very long time from the series. Bryan Q. Miller should have been the show runner! We got a classic Lois comment (Forever Fiancee! LOL) and a Green Arrow appearance. I kind of am wishing we got this live action now. No follow up on the Tess situation, I guess that will be next week.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 12:20 PM   #92
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Yeah, the lack of follow up on Tess pissed me off. Still I was happy to see Ollie in action. When those assholes called Chloe a "Nobody" I was wanting to see Ollie set those bastards straight. Set them straight he did. Pretty awesome Superman save in there as well. All those years Ollie was telling Clark to get off his ass and do something and now... There's no stopping him!

The ish ended on a pretty decent cliffhanger-not the equal of the Tess 'hanger-that has me eagerly awaiting next weeks issue.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 08:16 AM   #93
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The banter between Ollie and Clark really does give you an idea of where they might've taken Bruce Wayne in the series (Ollie really is their abandoned plans for Bruce, just reworked) but yeah I wanted to punch that guy for saying Chloe was a nobody!!! That comment definitely rattle Ollie! I also loved the quip about Clark having to live with Lois! LOL.

Old April 29 2012, 05:07 PM   #94
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The banter between Ollie and Clark really does give you an idea of where they might've taken Bruce Wayne in the series (Ollie really is their abandoned plans for Bruce, just reworked)
Just makes me wonder how they're going to write Bruce when they-finally-introduce Batman into the Smallville universe.
Old April 29 2012, 10:58 PM   #95
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well if the lap top is our first indication that the embargo has finally been lifted that is...

Old April 29 2012, 11:49 PM   #96
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Well, no reason for a Bat-embargo in the Smallville comic book since comics are Batman's original medium.
Old May 4 2012, 04:14 AM   #97
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I got the first issue the other day and I really enjoyed it.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:22 AM   #98
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Kewl, now read the other two issues. Ish 4 is out tomorrow.
Old May 4 2012, 04:29 AM   #99
Agent Richard07
Retired

Picked up Smallville #1 today. Can't wait to read it. I just like the idea of seeing Smallville's version of Superman in action.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 11:21 AM   #100
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I finished reading issue four finally and this felt like a traditionally written "Smallville" episode, right down to the quirky dialogue. I kind of like the fact that the shield belt buckle is basically a pager lol. Lois would need some way of contacting Clark so that was kind of neat. Looks like I was correct about Tess. It was nice to see that S.T.A.R Labs in the Smallville continuity has a building named after Virgil Swan with a statue of him...and we're introduced to Hank Henshaw!!! 99 percent certain the big bad of this season is going to be Cyborg Superman now.

Old May 27 2012, 03:00 AM   #101
Procutus
Admiral

I'm looking forward to taking a gander at the first two issues once our color tablet arrives. I figure that's probably the best way to read it at leisure. The fact that most everything I've read about S11 is positive has me a bit more psyched to read it.
Old May 27 2012, 03:52 AM   #102
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

First off... 'bout fuckin; time! Was the book on fuckin' hiatus? Jay-sus! I gots to get me Smallvile fix!

The latest ish, #4, was a nice little read. Miller has really figured out how to pace these chapters so he can cover as much ground as possible and still be coherent.

As on the show Lex Luthor is the most interesting character in troupe. His obsessive side was in full swing in this issue. His drive for at least half the series was unlocking the secret of what happened to him on that bridge. His new drive is unlocking the memories that Tess' has stolen away from him. The funny thing is that both of those drives would lead to the same thing.

Clark Kent's little secret.

I'm hoping Miller doesn't tease us with Lex's obsession for seven more seasons like Gough and Millar did. I think the ramifications of Lex finding out Superman's secret identity would be fascinating. Especially in light of his new initiative. His orbital defense platform. Ostensibly to defend Earth from alien invasion but (I'm certain) in truth to attack Superman.

Naturally, with the introduction of Hank Henshaw, we're looking at the start of a threat far worse than any Lex could conceive Superman capable of. I almost wish I could warn Henshaw.

Almost.

We wouldn't have a season if I actually succeeded in warning him!
Old May 29 2012, 05:12 PM   #103
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Issue 5 is out today, booyaka!

There's some foreshadowing of Cyborg Superman and it's done in the typical subtle fashion we've come to expect from the series called Smallville.

We get some character building as Clark interviews Henshaw. Miller's writing is surprisingly ham fisted in this scene. In one particularly bad piece of writing Henshaw gives a whole monologue on what a sensualist he is. I suppose that this is so we'll feel sorry for him when he loses his ability to taste, touch and feel anything. Po' baby.

I don't think it's going to surprise anybody who doesn't read Superman comics that Henshaw is going to be this season's big bad. First off he's very skeptical of Superman. On Smallville if you don't worship Clark then you're being set up as the villain.

It also doesn't help that this Hank Henshaw feels that Superman should be imposing his will on humanity and forcing us to conform to a higher standard rather than lead by setting a good example.

In a better written piece of character building there was an enjoyable confrontation between Ollie and Lex. Ollie proves he's nobody's fool by accusing Lex of murdering Tess. On the other hand Lex reveals he knows about Ollie's base on the moon and calls the other members of the JL, "super friends". The renewed Ollie/Lex antagonism looks to be a highlight of this season.

The cliffhanger for this issue was a good one, with Hank Henshaw left in mortal danger and this season's little bad declaring: "This looks like a job for Superman."

Miller's making it very difficult for me to wait until next week.

He really is.

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; May 29 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old May 29 2012, 10:52 PM   #104
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Too bad he was never the show runner of the series, because this has been glorious so far! See what happens when Brian and Kelly are kept away from things?

Old May 29 2012, 11:05 PM   #105
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Yeah, it's been a fun season so far. I wish they could get the cast together again for a movie version of this. I'd pay to see it.